The Crow and the Butterfly

Seeking Solace

Damon was at home with a glass of bourbon as his company. Stefan was out with Elena, leaving him with the house. But his mind wasn't on Stefan ad Elena. No, it was on the mysterious girl Demyra. Something about her made him feel different. Human. He had to see her.
He grabbed a jacket and sped to her house, sneaking into the backyard. IT was easy to find her bedroom as she was sitting by the window gazing up at the stars. It didn't take her long to notice him and when she did, he beckoned her down. She nodded and smiled before disappearing.
The sliding glass door opened and she walked towards Damon.
"Are you stalking me now or something?" She said. Her voice made his stomach feel like it was fluttering.
"Or something." He smiled and almost felt her heart start beating faster.
She sat in the grass staring up at the stars. Damon sat next to her, studying her. Her dark brown hair fell in curls down her back. It looked like silk and he longed to touch it. Her light skin gave her an almost Slavic look. Her blood was a totally different subject. It was sweet like a rose but had an almost sour smell around the edges. She was a virgin.
"You're a very intriguing person, Demi."
She turned to look at him, her blue eyes piercing is not beating heart.
"You barely know me." She said quietly.
"You feel drawn to me, don't you?" He slowly leaned closer to her.
"Like no one I've ever met before."
A wolf howled in the distance making her jump.
"Better be careful; tonight's a full moon." He winked at her. She laughed but it was obviously fake and she knew it.
"You're not a werewolf, are you?" He could almost smell the fear and worry.
He leaned in close to her, so close he could feel her warm breath over his face. He looked her straight in the eyes.
"No. I'm worse." He used his vampire speed to run to the street. He had planned on going back to the boarding house but a familiar smell stopped him dead in his tracks. He glanced back at the house, but shook his head and went back to the boarding house.
It was early, two, three o'clock in the morning. Something was off to Damon. He was abnormally restless. He sighed and decided to go to Demyra's house. Maybe seeing her would relax him.
When he got to her yard, the smell hit him again.
"It would be wise to stay away from this house." He said into the trees.
"And give up Demyra? That would be no fun at all." Klaus stepped out of the darkness.
"What interest is she to you?"
"I could ask you the same question."
Damon got close to Klaus. "If you touch her…"
Klaus looked past him at the house. "Looks like our angel is awake. I'll be seeing you soon, Damon." And Klaus was gone.
Damon turned toward the house and saw Demi in the window getting water. He could see her shaking. He wanted to go and comfort her, but he decided against his will to go back to the boarding house.
Stefan and Elena came to the boarding house the next morning. Damon could still smell Klaus in the air and he knew Stefan would smell it.
"Klaus?" He heard Stefan say.
"No. Just me." Damon said, walking into the room.
"But…"
"He was scoping out the new family's house. I had to chase him away."
"Why were you there?"
"Just taking a late night stroll, happened to come across his smell and thought I'd make sure he's not doing something suspicious."
"You mated, didn't you?"
Damon opened his mouth, then closed it. It hadn't occurred to him that Demi could be his mate.
"Vampires mate? I thought only werewolves..." Elena trailed off.
"No, vampires do mate. It's a totally different process than werewolves. And I think Damon mated. On a hunter's daughter who's step-father also happens to be a hunter also."
"I need to warn Phil about Klaus." Damon pushed past Stefan.
"You can't go over there. You know how dangerous Phil is."
"I need to warn him. Klaus is after Demi. If he gets his hands on her, who knows what will happen." Damon went out the door.
"What's going on?" Elena asked.
"To put it simply, if Damon's not careful, he could get himself killed."
It was a short trip to Demi's house. He wasn't prepared for a warm welcome, but he had to warn them. He rang the doorbell and a woman answered. She was obviously Demi's mother.
"Hello. I'm here to see Phil. May I come in?"
"Of course." Okay, maybe he compelled her, but now he could get in whenever he wanted. He was steps ahead of Klaus.
Phil immediately tensed when he saw Damon.
"Hello, Phil. It's been a while."
"How did you get in my house?"
"Your lovely wife invited me in. Look, there's something serious going on here."
"We can handle it ourselves."
"Oh really? Do you even know what that problem is?"
"We can take care of ourselves, Salvatore. We don't need a babysitter. Especially a scum of the Earth like you."
"You remember Klaus, don't you? The original hybrid? Well, I'd like to see you handle yourself against him. He'd snap you like a twig. He's after Demyra, you know. I could protect her. Keep her out of harm's way."
"You stay away from her, Salvaore!" Phil yelled. He was as red as a tomato.
Damon heard a thump upstairs and a door opening. Demyra was awake.
"Klaus was here. He could have done some damage if I didn't chase him off your property last night." Demyra was at the top of the stairs.
"You stay away from this house and this family. We can take care of ourselves."
"Oh can you now? Well, when Klaus kills her, who are you going to blame?"
Damon walked to the door and paused, looking up at Demi. He winked and grinned before leaving. He used his vampire speed to run to the backyard and up the wall to Demi's open window. She was closing the door when he got in her room. She turned around and almost jumped out of her skin.
"Damon!" She whispered. "How did you get up here so fast?"
"Magic."
"The same kind of magic you used last night when you just disappeared?"
He needed to warn her about Klaus. "Listen, Demyra, you may want to sit down."
He sat down on her bed and patted the spot next to him. She walked forward in her cute giraffe pajamas and sat next to him.
"Look, there's this guy, alright, who's really dangerous. Like, he'll kill you once he gets his hands on you, dangerous. And, well, he's after you."
"Wait - you mean someone wants to kill me?"
"Well, I'm not sure what he wants from you, but he will kill you at some point."
Her heart was racing. "But… how do you know this?"
"Because I know him."
"Like, your friends with him?"
"No, not friends. More like enemies, but there's a lot of things going on that you don't know about yet, but I promise I will tell you when the time comes."
He brushed some of her hair behind her ear, letting his hand run over her neck, almost feeling the blood pump against his fingers. He wanted to taste her, but he had to control himself for a while.