The Crow and the Butterfly

Break Away

The Salvatore boarding house was magnificent on the inside and out. I stood in the doorway in awe for a few seconds too long.
"You know you may find it more fascinating if you go inside." Damon whispered from behind me, his breath fanning over my neck, making me shiver.
"Oh yeah." I walked forward, taking in everything.
Damon gave me a tour, us ending up on the couch, intensely close to each other.
"How long until Phil notices?" Damon asked, his arm around my shoulders, his fingers playing with my hair.
"Thirty minutes. Maybe an hour. He'll be pissed though."
"I can deal with him later. Right now, all my attention is on you." Damon leaned close to me, his breath fanning over my face.
He was going to kiss me. Oh god I was going to have my first kiss. My hands started shaking.
"What's wrong?" Damon whispered.
"I've never been kissed before."
"Then let me show you."
Damon tilted his head then pressed his lips against mine. Ice seemed to rush from my lips, through my blood stream down to my toes, rushing out of my pores. The most incredible feeling came next, making me tremble even more. Damon's hand slid down the back of my neck, tangling in my hair. His tongue ran along my bottom lip and it took me a second to realize I was supposed to open my mouth. His tongue explored my mouth and he pulled me tightly against his body. I couldn't make any clear thoughts. My entire body was filled with Damon.
I was still shaking when Damon pulled away.
"Relax." He whispered.
When I finally gained enough control of myself I opened my eyes and stared into Damon's icy blue ones.
"Wow." I breathed. "What just happened?"
"I kissed you."
"I know but…" I was interrupted by a pounding on the door.
"Damon Salvatore you open this door right now!"
I groaned when I recognized Phil's voice. "He's not going to be happy." I said standing up.
"Damon grabbed my hand and we walked to the door. I stood behind Damon as he opened the door.
"About damn time, Salvatore." Phil's voice sounded more like a growl that usually happened when he was drunk.
"Nice to see you again, Phil." Damon said. I could see him tense up from where I stood.
"Just give me my fucking daughter so I can leave."
Damon turned and pressed his lips against mine, dipping me a little. The kiss lasted probably longer than it should have and I could almost feel the anger burning off Phil. Damon pulled away and let me walk to Phil.
It felt like a funeral march because I was surefire walking to my doom. Phil grabbed my left arm and started dragging me towards the Suburban. I bit my lip to keep from crying out. I knew I was going to have bruises.
An old red car pulled up and Phil slowed. I recognized Stefan driving and there was a dark haired girl in the passenger seat.
"Get in." Phil said, shoving me into the car.
He got in and slammed his door shut.
On the drive back I could almost taste the tension in the air. Phil was gripping the steering wheel so tightly that his knuckles were white. I was afraid he was going to break the steering wheel in half.
I hated to admit it but I was scared shitless. I mean, Phil is no fat, beer belly step-dad. He used to be a professional athlete and he still trains vigorously and keeps himself in shape. But he still has a horrible time controlling his anger.
Phil parked the Suburban in the drive way and I started my funeral march into the house. Phil grabbed my left shoulder, causing my knees to buckle.
"Living room. Now." He whispered in my ear through his teeth.
I walked through the kitchen where my mom was drying dishes and into the living room. I stood, my back to the windows just in case things got out of hand. It would be easy to just throw myself out and end the misery.
Phil marched into the living room, my mom following closely behind, a confused look on her face.
"We haven't even been here a week and you're already acting up. Phil ran his hand over his buzzed hair. "I told you to stay away from the Salvatore's, especially Damon."
"Phil, what-" Phil silenced my mom with his hand out.
"She snuck out while we were gone and went over to the Boarding House and what are they doing? Playing tonsil hockey."
"Phil, she's almost 18, don't you think she can start making her own decisions?"
"I know she's almost an adult, but if it were anyone but Damon, I would be okay."
"What's so bad about Damon?" I asked.
Phil turned back to me, his eyes almost burning holes through me. "There are things you don't understand going on, Demi. Damon's done things, horrible things."
"Like what?"
"Killed people. For fun."
"Phil, don't. Let Damon explain it to her-"
"No. If this is what it takes to keep her away from him then this is what it will have to be."
"Oh my god! Why do you have to be such a dick about things?" I shouted.
Phil turned to me. "What did you just say?"
"You're such an overprotective dick."
"You do not ever speak that way to me-"
"I can say what I want. You're not my dad and you'll never be close to the man he is."
"I am an authority figure in this house. She me some respect."
"I only show respect to those who deserve it."
Phil's fists clenched and I knew I had taken it too far. He's extremely touchy when it comes to respect. He turned and looked at my mom before turning and slapping me so hard I hit the floor.
"Phil!" My mother shouted, horrified.
I looked up at Phil and he just looked down at me with disgust. "Get out of my sight before I hit you again."
I got up and almost ran up the stairs, the tears already falling. My mom and Phil were arguing downstairs. I picked up the picture of Phil and I at a Cubs game and threw it against the wall, shattering the frame.
I sunk down on my bed, curling into a ball, letting the tears fall. I closed my eyes, hoping I'd fall asleep and forget everything.