Shut Your Mouth When I'm Talking To You

Chapter Thirteen

Chapter 13

“Meike da-arling, get up!!!” Meike’s mothers voice floated through the door.
Meike rolled out of bed and onto the floor, she felt around for her uniform lying on the ground and got changed. She pulled back her hair, and put on her slip Mary-Jane leather school shoes, and jogged down the stairs to the kitchen where her Mother was eating.
“Meike! Your Father has already gone to work but I thought that I would give you a lift to school.”
Meike narrowed her eyes suspiciously at this unusual gesture, but shrugged and grabbed some toast.

Finally it was time to leave. As Meike went out the front door she noticed a brand-new Mercedes convertible in the driveway.
“Well this is a charming new development,” Meike groaned inwardly.
“Its beautiful isn’t it!,” Meike’s Mother asked, “Just oozing sophistication and style.”
“More like money and snobbery,” Meike mumbled, but her Mother appeared not to hear her.

They drove off, and were at the school in about 10 minutes. As they drove up to the school, Meike noticed that almost all of the other parents were dropping the children off in ‘surprise surprise’ Mercedes, Audi, or BMW convertibles.

As Meike went to open the car door her Mother reached across and took Meike’s hair out her pony-tail.
“Honey wear your hair out today, It looks pretty.” Meike’s Mother commented.
‘Funny,’ Thought Meike, ‘I always thought I looked better with my hair off my face.’ However she just shrugged and left the car. She walked up to the very ‘prestigious’ looking building and couldn’t help notice all of the groups of people talking and greeting each other outside. She could hear people screaming in excitement, at seeing friends and re-living the summer holidays.

Meike was amazed at how even though everyone was in uniform there seemed to be a gazillion different groups or ‘cliques’.

How the hell was she going to fit in?

Standing over by the main building were seemingly tall, thin girls flipping their hair and talking. One of them caught Meike’s eye, she cocked her head to the side and seemed to sum Meike up in one swift glance up and down.
Meike gave the girl an uncertain smile and watched slightly shocked as the girl nudged her friends and they all started to walk over to Meike.
As they walked over to Meike, she couldn’t help noticing how people jumped out of their way to let them pass. Random girls tried talking to them but were completely ignored. Boy’s mouths hung open in the way that boys mouths do when they are ‘oggling girls goodies’

They came right up to Meike and the one who had been giving her the once-over stepped forward.
“Your new.” The girl said rudely to Meike.
“Ummm Yea…” Meike said, slightly taken a back by the girls’ statement.
“Whats your name?” She demanded, in that same harsh tone.
“Meike,” Meike answered.
“Mmmmmm.” The girl said giving Meike the once-over again, “I’m Bridget. At lunch you’ll sit at our table, right?” She stated this, leaving no room for argument.
“Oh ummm, errrr yes..?” Meike said still a little confused, she wasn’t about to say no, considering she didn’t exactly know anyone.
“Good, see you at lunch.” The girl finished with a satisfied raise of the eyebrow. And with that she and her nameless friends walked over to an equally tall, tan group of boys.