Shut Your Mouth When I'm Talking To You

Chapter Twenty Five

Just then the electronic sound of a mobile started playing from Gerard’s pocket. He dug around in his pocket and pulled out a phone squinting at the number.
Mikey had a slightly alarmed expressing on.
“Uh…Gee, why do you have mum’s phone?”
Gerard waved his hand at Mikey to be quiet and answered his mothers phone.
“Hello-oo?” he said in a high-pitched voice.
There was a moment’s pause and Gerard started talking again in the same shrill tone, “Yes, this is she… oh? Sorry I must have forgotten to ring. The boys are sick at home. Poor Gerard has the worst fever, not to mention little Michael’s diarrhoea, it’s just ghastly!”
As Gerard listened to the voice on the other end he gave everyone in the room the thumbs up. Mikey shot Gerard a look of contempt but Meike and Frank were in hysterics.
“So a note wont be necessary? ,,,,,well then, ta ta!”
Gerard snapped the phone shut and Meike raised her eyebrows,
“You know,” she started, “You totally had me thinking that you were this mean bad-arse but you’re too chicken to wag with out talking to the school.”
Gerard put is hand to his heart and looked deeply wounded.
Meike rolled her eyes, “You’re so full of shit Way.”
Gerard then narrowed his eyes. “Come on princess, let’s get you out of here.”
Meike looked down at the robe she was wearing as the boys started to head out the door,
“Um.. What about me?”
Frank turned and said, “What about you?”
It was Meike’s turn to narrow her eyes, “Look what I’m wearing!”
Mikey looked at Meike, “You look great, I don’t see why you don’t wear it more often.”
He then realized what he had said and hid behind Gerard as Meike’s hand bunched into a fist.
“I cant go out in a ROBE!” she moaned.
The guys looked around uncomfortably.
“Did your mum pack an overnight bag? She seems like the type.”
“Mikey that’s perfect!” Meike smiled and scanned the room for an overnight bag. She spotted one by the plush couch and pulled it onto the bed.
“Voila!” she smiled.
Her smile quickly disappeared as she saw just what he mother had packed.
Inside the rather large suitcase, there were polo-shirts galore, low cut singlets and miniskirts so short they should legally be belts.
The boys saw her staring at the bag.
“What’s the matter?” Gerard asked.
Meike reached in and pulled out a handful of clothes, “This is what my mother expects me to wear out of this hospital!”
Mikey sniggered, but found himself pushed against the wall, She shoved the clothes into his hands.
“Why don’t YOU wear them?” She snarled
Frank tapped her on the shoulder and she let go of Mikey.
“Why don’t you just wear them? Surely is cant be as bad as wearing a robe.”
Meike gave a frustrated sigh, grabbed the bag and stormed into the bathroom.
“Man, that girls got anger problems.” Mikey said.

“I heard that!”

* * *

When Meike exited the bathroom, all three boy’s mouths dropped open. She was wearing the longest skirt she could find (that was still a good 20 centimeters above her knee”, a black polo and a pair of black flats.
“Don’t laugh, just hand over a jacket.”
When the boys gave her confused looks, she returned one of a murderous kind and Gerard reluctantly handed over his black jumper. As Meike shoved it over her head, she got a whiff and realized just how good Gerard smelt.

They gathered all of Meike’s belongings. And Meike discharged herself.
Down in the car park, Frank and Meike had finished putting her stuff into Frank’s Mum’s car. (they had “borrowed” it for the day) When Gerard jumped into the drivers seat.
He started the engine but Meike stayed where she was.
“Wassa matta?” Gerard asked from inside the car.
“Are you crazy? I am NOT getting in a car with you.” Meike said, wide eyed.
“Why not?” Gerard asked, confused.
“Uh, cause last time I ended up in hospital with a concussion!”
Gerard widened his eyes in a puppy dogface,
“Come on, I’ll be sensible, I promise, this day won’t be any fun without you.” He said sticking out his bottom lip.
Meike hesitated. Gerard, although it didn’t seem humanly possible, made his eyes even bigger.
“Pleeeeeeaaassseee.” He begged.
Meike rolled her eyes, “Fine, I’ll get in the stupid car.” She sighed, “Talk about peer pressure.”
Mikey’s face broke into a huge grin,
“Best kind of pressure there is!!”
Meike playfully punched him in the arm and he winced.
“So,” Gerard asked, twisting around in his seat, “Where to?”

* * *

Polly and Ray sat in silence eating their lunch. Ray had told Polly how Meike had been in a crash and how Gerard, Frank and Mikey were visiting her in hospital. Once he explained how his parents basically escorted him to the front gate of school to stop him wagging, there seemed nothing to talk about.
Neither found the silence awkward, just boring. They sat in the shadows by some bushes where Bridget and her army hadn’t noticed them.
Polly’s mobile vibrated in her pocket. She had received a text from Frank.

- Look Bhind u, Frnk –

The pair looked around to see four sets of eyes pairing out from the bushes.