Shut Your Mouth When I'm Talking To You

Chapter Thirty One

Meike was about to unlock her front door when it suddenly swung open. Meike’s mother walked out and clasped her hands together.
“Oh Meike! Did you have a fun time at the party?”
Meike gave her mother a cold look, how ever, her mother didn’t notice.
“Did you stay the night at Bridget’s? Did she drop you off?”
Her mother started looking around, as though Bridget might be there.
“I didn’t stay the night at Bridget’s.”
“Well did you stay the night with one of Bridget’s friends?”
Meike was about to say no but realized it would just be easier to lie.
“Yea. I did.”
Her mother looked at her expectantly,
“Well, what’s her name?”
It was then that it dawned on Meike that she didn’t know any of the clones’ names.
“Her name?” she asked, stalling for time, “Uh, Debbie. Yep, I stayed the night at Debbie’s house.”
Her mother seemed to accept this and moved on to her next question, “So, what happened honey? Did you meet any cute guys?”
Meike decided not to answer her mother and trudged up the stairs to her room.
To keep her mind off what happened at the party, she spent the rest of Sunday aimlessly drawing in her visual diary. He door was firmly closed and her mother didn’t invade her privacy. Meike smiled as she turned off her lights at eleven. She lay her head on her pillow and dozed off into a dreamless sleep.