Status: This is a novel in progress, so let me know what I need to change :)

A Mermaid's Tail

Chapter Two

“Why do our parents make us go to school?” Jake scowled deeply. He was in a bad mood; our math teacher, Mrs. Ophelie gave him a D minus on his test. Jake asked what he had done wrong; it took about twenty minutes for her to point out everything.
“Jake, will you CHILL?”
We were in the car now, and he was really getting on my nerves with the complaints. “I can help you get a better grade, as long as you knock it off this instant.”
“Yes, mother.”
“Knock it OFF, Jake.”
“Sorry. Will you help me?”
“Sure. Just enough with the griping!”
“Sorry. Again.”
I rolled my eyes and stared out the window. “Seriously, Scarlet, I didn't mean it.”
“You think I didn't know that?”
“No. So what's wrong then?”
“Nothing. Really. So don't ask me again.”
Jake stared through the windshield at the bright blue sky. He turned the car around and pulled into a parking lot. “Where are we going?”
“Out for a special treat.”
“Special, huh? I guess I can deal with that.”
Five minutes later Jake and I were standing around in StarBucks, waiting for our orders to be filled. I glanced up at Jake; he was looking at me. Jake averted his eyes when he heard the waiter call his name. “I'll get it,” I offered; before he could object, I walked over and took the drinks. “Thanks.” I flashed the waiter a smile. “Let's go,” I said to Jake. Just after we stepped outside, I stopped in my tracks. “What time is it, Jake?”
“Six forty five. Why?”
“Remember my mom said I had to be home by seven?”
“Oh, yeah, sorry. We should go.”
“We should.”
We got into the car, and Jake sped off.
“Thanks for the treat, Jake.”
“You're welcome. Even though you didn't deserve it.”
I responded to this by rolling my eyes (and resisting the strong – very strong – urge to kick him where it hurts).
“I know what you're thinking about doing, and I'm glad you didn't. Only because I'm driving.”
“Shut up, Jake.”
“Sorry.”
We pulled into Jake's driveway a few minutes later. “Thanks for the ride, Jake.”
“Yeah. Anytime, Scarlet. I'll see you later.”
“'Bye.”
Jake walked into his house, and I crossed the lawn to my front door. As soon as I reached it, it swung open to reveal my mother. “You're late.”
I glanced at my watch; it was 7:03. Darn it. I gave her an apologetic look.
“You should be. Now, come inside and get ready for dinner.”
“'Kay, mom.”
I strode down the hall and up the stairs to my room, throwing my backpack on the floor. I changed into black sweats and a green tank top, then hopped down the stairs and down to my seat at the table. My mouth watered at what we were having: Chinese takeout; my favorite. Mom worked at Master Wu's, the local Chinese food joint, so she got a 50% discount off of whatever she bought, as it was for the whole family. We each had special cards that you have the cashier scan after you order, and because of that, Jake and his family never went to the restaurant without one of the members of my family – although it was mostly me.
Mom had brought back sweet and sour pineapple, chow mein, egg rolls, white rice, Hunan flower steak, and broccoli with garlic sauce. Some of the stuff I didn't like so much, but most of it I did. I didn't eat as much as I usually do, but there we no leftovers, sadly. After dinner I took 10 minutes to do my homework, then I said goodnight to my family, who where playing Monopoly downstairs. I usually didn't play unless Jake was playing, because we both liked to cheat, and we think it's hilarious – my family thinks it's annoying.
I sat on my bed and read for a while, then around nine, I heard the ding of my IM. I walked over to my computer and sat down.

JakeTheAwesome: Scarlet, you there?

ScarletRose: Yeah, what's up?

JakeTheAwesome: I'm going down to the beach to fish for a while. Wanna come?

I sat and wondered. I decided to take the chance.

JakeTheAwesome: Scarlet?

ScarletRose: Yeah, I'll be down there in a few. Have to change first.

JakeTheAwesome: Girls.

ScarletRose: Boys. They're a nuisance.

JakeTheAwesome: Just change and get out here, Scarlet.

ScarletRose: Fine. Bossy...