Status: This is a novel in progress, so let me know what I need to change :)

A Mermaid's Tail

Chapter Four

It seemed like five minutes later when I heard a tap on my window. I sat up immediately. Jake's bewildered face was staring at me. I muffled my laughter and opened the window; he pulled himself through, almost smacking his face on my dresser. “Well, that was dangerous.”
“Really?”
His face was soaked, along with his clothes and hair. “What happened to you?” I asked, handing him a towel.
“It's pouring out there,” he answered as he rubbed his hair.
“Why are you here?”
“I wanted to ask you something.”
Well, this was new. I was hoping it would be what I thought it should be, but the question he did ask caught me off guard.
“Where were you this morning? After I left? You said you were going to stay for a while, but then I called an hour later, and you didn't pick up. That's not like you, Scarlet.”
I was so surprised by this question I only stared.
“That's two questions.”
“Scarlet...”
“Well, it is.”
I would attempt to avoid the question until there was absolutely no way out.
“Tell me, Scarlet.”
And now there was no way out. I didn't know that he wouldn't go around in circles with me, or that he wouldn't take a hint. But I forgot I was talking to Jake. Mr. Split-Personality. Technically he doesn't have a split personality, but his emotions change from bubbly and happy to a burning rage. It's really weird. Oh, well. I had to think of something to tell him, something that actually made sense.
“I...went swimming. Yeah. That's what I did.”
“Are you sure? It was pretty cold out there earlier.”
“Mmmhmm.”
Jake looked straight into my eyes. checking them for any sign of insincerity.
“Okay. I believe you.”
“Thanks.”
Jake sat down in my chair. “Jake! You'll get the chair wet!” I shoved him off; he stood up.
“Well, where do I sit, then?”
“First, you need to change. Then you can sit.”
“What do I change into?”
“Questions, questions. Hold on for sec. I'll be back.”
“I'll be here.”
“I'm sure.”
I slipped out of my room as quietly as I could manage, being careful not to step on the creaky parts of the floor. Pulling a paper clip out of my pocket, I picked the lock until I heard a satisfying c lick, then the door eased open. I tiptoed around Josh's bed, hopping over the random stuff on the floor. I opened his dresser, reaching under even more clutter to find a clean pair of clothes. As soon as I got them, I scrambled out of Josh's room as fast as I could, not bothering to shut the door. Jake was sitting in the chair again, playing with my laser pen on the wall. “Jake!” I hissed, snatching the pen. “I told you to stay out of the chair!”
“My bad.”
“What-ever. Here are some clothes. Go change.”
I shoved the clothes at him, then pushed him into the bathroom. “It smells girly in here,” he complained. “Yeah, it's my bathroom. I'm a girl,” I said, rolling my eyes.
“Riiiiiiight.”
I kicked the door. “Just change already.”
“Okay, okay.”
A few minutes later he came out, and I sighed. “Finally,” I said, pulling him back to my room. I curled up on my bed, under my comforters. “Anything else you need?” I yawned.
“Nah, I'm good. Thanks, though.”
“Aren't you tired?”
“Yeah, a little.”
“Go to bed, then.”
“Okay. But I don't want to go back to my house in the rain.”
“Baby.”
“I'm not a baby. I just don't like getting wet.”
“Baby.”
“Not listening.”
I patted the spot net to me on my bed. “Sit,” I commanded. Jake strode over and sat. “I'm going to sleep,” I announced a few minutes later. I was so tired I had trouble even saying the words.
“Okay. I think I will, too.”
“Goodnight.”
“Good morning.”
“Sure.”
I turned over so I was facing Jake. His green eyes were staring back at me. We lay there staring at each other for a long time, but I think I dozed off first, because the next thing I knew, Jake was shaking me awake.
“Scarlet, wake up.”
“No.”
“You're awake.”
“Am not.”
But I sat up anyway and ran my fingers through my hair, yanking at the knots. “I have to go to my house to get dressed; I'll be back at the usual time.” Jake opened the window and waved. “Call if you need anything,” he said before slipping out and closing the window. I waved, and he waved back just before he disappeared below the window.
“Scarlet!”
“What, Mom?”
“Time for breakfast! Get down here in five or you're not having any!”
“What's for breakfast?”
“Pancakes!”
“Coming!”
I stood up out of bed, skipping gaily downstairs. I always felt better in the morning if I had gone swimming sometime the day before. Or earlier that morning. Even if I was slightly tired. Whatever. Elizabeth and Elena were fighting over a toy in their high chairs, screaming at each other. Before either of them could take it from each other, I snatched it right out of their hands.
That shut them up.
“Now,” I said sternly, almost laughing at myself. “Neither of you will get this toy until you can learn to share.” I sat at my seat and put the toy next to my plate. About thirty seconds later I heard Elena say, “We can share, can we have the toy back?”
“Yes.”
I handed them the toy, and stood to get some pancakes fresh off the stove. I walked over to Mom and took the remaining pancakes off of the grill. “I'm starved,” I said as I sat down to eat. Just then the phone rang. I jumped out of my seat.
“I'll get it!”
I ran over to the receiver.
“Hello?”
“Hey, Scarlet.”
“Hi, Jake. What's up?”
“Are you coming over tonight? Since it's Friday?”
“Yeah, of course. Why?”
“We're going to the beach after school, and I'm inviting some of my friends to come. Do you want to come? Or do you want to wait until I get home to come over?”
I leaned against the wall. The beach? Not that it's horrible or anything, but what if they pull me far enough in the water? What if they see something that they don't need to? I wanted to go so badly. I missed the water, even though it hadn't even been long enough yet. Maybe 4 hours?
“Yeah, of course I want to go.”
“Okay. Just bring your bathing suit to school today. You can leave it in my car until afterwards. Sound good?”
“Perfect.”
“Great. Oh, by the way, can I have breakfast at your house? My mom is making a soy breakfast, you know, since she went Vegan a while ago? I can smell it from my room, and it smells….um…”
“Sure, Jake. I'll save you from the horrible tasting tofu-cakes your mom forces you to eat. You know, they aren't that bad. I don't know why you freak whenever she makes them.”
“You like them because you're weird, like my mom. And I freak because I'm pretty sure that sure that she's trying to poison me.”
“Just get over here.”
“On it.”
“'Bye.”
I ran over to the door before Jake could knock. “Don't you have a key?” I accused as he stepped in. “Yeah, but I think Melissa has it in her room somewhere, along with my car keys.”
“You LOST your car keys?!” I exploded.
“I didn't lose them, Melissa has them! She went out last night and hasn't given them back yet.”
“I'll be back.”
“Where are you going-”
I left before he finished. I wouldn't let Melissa just keep the keys, even if they DO share the car. Melissa is Jake's sister. She could be so irritating. Not t mention she’s such a flirt. I usually ignore her, or avoid her as often as I can.
I rang the doorbell; Melissa opened it. “What?”
“I want Jake's car keys.”
“No way.”
“Give it or I'll–”

<<<<<>>>>>

Five minutes later I was back at my house with the keys in hand (and some nail marks on my arm).
“What happened?” Jake asked, taking the keys from me.
“Don't ask.”
“That bad, huh?”
“Uh-huh.”
“Okay. Are you ready to go?”
“Yeah. C'mon.”