That Girl

Devin

She was there, and then she wasn’t. My blank mind only had one thought, who was she and why didn’t I chase after her.

I was walking through campus, like I had every Thursday for the first month. The same path. From the Lot B6 to Redwood Hall room 124, it was an across campus trip and I could park closer, but I never did. I was trying to finish off some work before I got there. It was a normal routine, which I performed everyday at roughly around 11:35. Thursday October 6, 2011 on my way to class it happened.

I didn’t see her coming; I was too focused on the chicken scratch in my hand. I didn’t notice that is until she was inches away from me and by then it was too late. She quickly attached her lips to mine, causing me to drop everything that was in my hand. Everything about it was right, for the first time in my life, this was that girl. The one you search your whole life for and I had her for that one second. Then almost as quickly as it happened it was over. She looked at me with big blue eyes and smiled before running off in the opposite direction I was heading. I looked over at her as she met up with another girl who was looking over at me in complete shock. I turned my attention down at everything I had dropped for just a few seconds; just to gather them and when I looked back they were gone.

The school was huge; there was slim chance of me ever running into that girl again. Why didn’t I leave my stuff where it was? Why was I now walking away from her? That was it.

I got back on my natural course and finished the day the way I normally would. But
throughout that day all I thought of was that girl. I couldn’t get that girl out of my mind. But I kept on my normal routine, got in my car and drove to the apartment. Right down the street a few blocks, room 213 and to my distaste with my best friend. Sometimes friends need a break and Ricky and I needed a break.

I walked through the door and he turned around in his chair right away, “alright, I have the hook ups to a sweet Pi Beta Phi party.” He raised his eyebrows suggestively as he did every time he wanted us to go to a party or to a club. I just rolled my eyes and tossed my bag on my bed. “Devin,” he said in his high pitched voice, “dude what’s eating you, that professor on your back again?”

“No, it’s this girl,” I said rubbing the back of my neck. He looked at me with interest; I sat down on the bed and sighed, “She came up to me and kissed me and then ran away.”

“Hot,” he smirked, “who was it?”

“I don’t know,” I said frantically, “never seen her before in my life.”

“Dev,” he stood up, “that’s like every guys dream, you don’t have to call her and it won’t be awkward around her. The only thing that would be better is if you got some too.” He nodded his head smiling and then turned his seat back towards his computer.

I shook my head, “no, there was something special about this girl.” I thought about it, I thought about the face I saw for two seconds. He turned in his chair slowly giving me the face of death. “You wouldn’t understand,” I shrugged his expression off.

“Devin,” he said, “I understand, this is like death, chasing after a girl you don’t know. The smart thing would just be to forget about her, she’s gone, it shouldn’t be hard. You don’t even know her name.” He was right, I didn’t know her name. All I knew was her appearance, the clothes she was wearing and that she had a short Asian friend. I couldn’t let it go though. I smiled and looked at Ricky and he shook his head at the thought, “no, please say you’re not thinking what I think you’re thinking.”
“I’m going to find her,” I stood up.

He dropped his head, “no.”

I walked over to the door and grabbed a jacket, “and you are going to help.” I tossed his jacket at him and he reluctantly followed me. “She’s a student,” I stated for no apparent reason at all, “it was on campus.”

“Great so what’s your plan,” he started with sarcasm, “are we going to knock on every door in the dorms to find one girl.”

“That is exactly what we are doing,” I said.