That Girl

Devin

"Dude," Ricky jumped on my bed. Not in our apartment, but at my parent's house, it was the day after thanksgiving. "Get up," he looked down at me, "we gotta go."

"Who the fuck let you in," I rolled over to ignore him.

"Your mom," he said casually and then got off. He walked out of the room which in my experience never meant something good. He walked in with more stealth and I ignored the part of my mind screaming at me to get up. And I regret it. "Wake up sleeping beauty," he yelled as he threw cold water over me and my bed.

I jumped up and looked at my bed and then at Ricky, "really dude, what is so important."

"The possibility of us hooking up with some sorority girls," he wiggled his eyebrow suggestively. I raised mine in return and he felt the need to explain, "I happen to know that Delta Phi Nu does this charity thing every year, and girls can't resist the sweet guys who volunteer to do shit like this out of the kindness of their heart."

I looked at him blankly, "I'm not going."

"Dude," he threw some clothes at me, "you have to, I can't go alone, I'd just look desperate." I raised my eyebrow at him and he shrugged, "I promise I will buy you dinner if you go." I shook my head. "I'm just going to keep badgering you until you agree," he grinned and evil grin. "Come with me," he hit me with a pillow.

"Fine," I said, "I will babysit you." He nodded feeling somewhat victorious. I reluctantly got dressed and hopped into his car and didn't question where it was we were going. When we came to Van Nuys we pulled up to a Warehouse that had Operation Gratitude written in large letters. I had heard of it, but I didn't know exactly what it was. I walked inside seeing the huge assembly line and following Ricky as i got into it. "What exactly are we doing," I looked at him.

"Picking up boxes," he pointed to the front of the line, "filling them and flirting with girls." He nodded forward at the small group of people who looked like they seriously didn't belong. I'd dated the occasional sorority girl and there was never a thing in her mind, at least not a seemingly intelligent thing. He waved over at one and she waved back. I rolled my eyes at the person I had inexplicably chosen to be my best friend. "Dude," he looked at me, "lighten up, give them a wave, it's just for fun."

I put my arm up to reluctantly wave and then I noticed something. I put on a humored look, "I'd stop waving if I were you," I looked at him. He gave me a stern look, "you're kind of girlfriend is here," I nodded over at her.

"Shit," he said, "what the hell is she doing here?"

"I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say, community service of some sort," I smiled.

He shook his head, "I can't believe this." He looked over at her, she was on her own texting and looked as if she were alone.

"Kim," I said as she came a row ahead of us in line.

She turned around, "hey guys, never thought I'd see you two here."

"Me neither, but Ricky here," I patted his shoulder, "insisted on dragging me here, he just loves charity." Ricky glared at me and then I smiled, "can we jump ahead with you, you look real lonely."

"Please," she said, "I'm bored to death, I swear I wouldn't be here if Sienna didn't drag me here, I'm actually happy you're here, Devin." She smiled, "it's karma, I suffer and now she suffers."

"Where is she," I looked at Kim.

"I don't know," she sighed, "the pulled her aside to do something and the bitch just left me here to walk through this line another hundred times."