That Girl

Sienna

Ashley and I ran to her car, we had to get out of practice early to get to our 4:30 class. “Alright I so need to get into better shape if I want to be catcher,” Ashley said leaning back in the driver’s seat as we pulled out.

“How’d I do at third,” I asked as I grabbed scissors, two-sided tape and two magazines from the back seat.

“You did good, but it doesn’t matter you pretty much have a starting position,” she said rolling her eyes. The truth of the matter was I didn't want to pitch anymore, but once they found out I could I knew I was doomed to that position. I just shrugged and looked through the magazine slowly flipping through the pages. “Go faster,” she said, “I need my collage done in like twenty minutes.”

“No prob,” I said, “I’m a pro.” We had a lame class that was all about personal growth and development and that meant it was a bunch of bs. Our assignment, a collage about our self, this is what happens when you crash classes.

“By the way,” Ashley turned towards me, “the bus?” She threw out her arms as if to question it, some people are mad scared of the public transportation system. “You know I can always give you a ride, when you said you didn’t need one I thought you meant you had another ride.” Yes, she was half scolding me as I was sitting there doing her homework for her.

“I did, from the bus,” I smiled sufficiently and then she gave me that ‘come on’ look. I shrugged, “Kim took me on campus today, so I wasn’t home.”

“Why?”

“Let’s just say we had some business to attend to,” I smiled.

She rolled her eyes, “please tell me it wasn’t your stupid sweatshirt, fraternity thing.” Let me explain, Kimmy had joined what I see as the equivalent to a cult, a sorority along with our friend Hayley. Now earlier that week, Kim had taken me with her to pick up her pin from the Greek store. And she was telling me how exciting it would be when she could finally wear her letters and at that moment I wanted a jacket. Not a sorority one, but a fraternity one, an all guy’s fraternity. Then I thought it’d be fun to waltz around their campus and see if I irritate anyone in that fraternity.

I laughed, “no,” and then dug into my backpack and pulled out the sweatshirt, “but I am halfway there.” She shook her head and I shrugged, “so I’m going to put this nice picture of deodorant on your collage.” She opened her mouth to protest and then I said, “I am in charge of this so I get to put whatever I want on it,” I stuck my tongue out for extra emphasis.

“Fine I’ll just spin it as a positive in class,” she smiled. And she did, that and the random Listerine bottle I cut out, she spun as her obsession with being hygienic. I hated how we had to share everything in this class, but I loved that we got in groups because our group talked about whatever it is we wanted to. That is until our professor came over; in that case someone would have to slyly jump us back into the topic at hand. The topic of the day was something I hadn’t much experience in, usually we were good at avoiding the relationship topic, but not today.

Matthew had just finished talking about his ex who faked a miscarriage and would call him up and blame him. Matthew had the scary rocker appearance with the piercings and tattoos, but upon getting to know him he seemed sincere and was funny. I was a pretty good judge of character and that’s why when Adriana turned and said, “Michael, I bet you’ve had some interesting girlfriends,“ I sat back and crossed my arms amused. The very first day of class he had made a huge deal about how he wasn’t a player and how he really wanted to get married. He had definitely fooled Ashley and most of the rest of our group, it was appealing to them because he was attractive. I only found it completely insincere, therefore I know him as marriage douche.

“Oh,” he said caught off guard, “I don’t really have girlfriends; I have a few at a time.” Everyone seemed surprised and intrigued and I sat back looking at Ashley. I had told her my presumptions and they were being confirmed at this very moment. He continued, “they all just come to me, and then I keep a few extras just in case.”

“In case what,” I said speaking up.

He shrugged, “I get bored or she’s crazy.” I made the ‘I told you so’ face while nodding and Ashley couldn’t stop herself from laughing. He looked at her angrily; we had also noticed that he could be a hot head, “what are you laughing at.”

Ashley being the shy and timid one who just wants everyone to like her, pointed at me. He turned to me to explain. I smiled a somewhat unsure and somewhat guilty smiled, “it’s just,” I thought about my words, “I pegged you as the type.”

“The type to what,” he said angrily but hushed as to not draw attention to our group.

“Are you kidding,” I said looking around, “the type to do what you just explained, I saw it the first day.”

He looked at me trying to peg my character and I lifted a brow waiting for it. “And all you’ve ever said was no.”

I nodded and turned to the rest of the group, “cold as December in the North Pole, haven’t found a single person worth my time.” I wasn't the type to hide it, we had already discussed this in one of our prior discussions. I was robotic and cold, some could say heartless, and oddly enough Matthew (scary rocker) had related.

“That’s …” he started before we were forced to turn back to the front of the room for the last ten minutes of class. She was wrapping up the lesson and we were having a strong glaring contest. When class was over Ash and I had to hang back to get our first grade check of the semester. We were almost the last ones out and all we were doing was complaining about how she hadn’t put an actual grade. We walked down the stairs and Michael was waiting there for us, or me. “That is the problem with girls like you,” he said continuing his previous thought as I continued walking forward, “you think you’re too good for everyone, don’t give guys a chance.”

“I don’t give guys a chance,” I laughed not even looking at him, “and you keep extra girls around just in case, I totally call that a chance.”

“Maybe because I don’t want to get hurt by cold selfish girls like you,” he said. Trying to play the victim, truth be told it was hard to pin point. Like the chicken and the egg argument. Who's protecting themselves from who?

I turned around because we had reached Ashley’s car, “don’t play your little innocent game, I don’t fall for that shit.” He smiled and got closer in a weird way and I stepped to the side, “if this is one of those fight make out things, I’m not the type, I gotta go.” I slipped into the car and we left.