Status: I'm Sorry I'm So Indecisive. (:

Lilith

Chapter Five.

I found a pretty little church on the other side of the courtyard from the cafeteria. It looked kind of like one of those little white cottages you saw from decades ago, except it fit hundreds of people for a church service instead of fitting two or three people to live. I didn't see anybody outside of it, but I should have known that's because a service had already started.

I walked in through the big wooden doors and a couple rows of eyes peered back at me, so I snuck quickly around the corner and intoa closet. "Closet" was the wrong word though--I was actually at the bottom of a very small, thin staircase. It winded around, twisting up in a spiral before ending with another doorway. It made me feel claustrophobic just standing there, so I pushed the door open.

Inside, everything was covered with dust. At least a good inch of it. There was a broken table, with what looked like a broken vase next to it, and a set of chairs which were mising a couple legs. There was a collapsing bookshelf with pretty scrolls and old, leather-bound books took up residence. I dusted them off and read a couple titles: they were all vampire history stuff, religion-related. I would have taken the time to read them but I wasn't in a reading mood.

Like the books, I found my own place to take up residence: in the window seat by the stained glass window. The oval-shaped window depicted a lotus flower, with reds and blues and greens. It was very pretty, and the window seat--however dusty--was surprisingly comfy for being in a pretty little attic. It was a wonder I'd found this place. It was really beautiful.

For a long while, I watched outside. It was still kind of dark, but it was starting to lighten up. I guessed that it was probably around one-thirty now--I'd walked around for about an hour and spent at least half an hour exploring the attic before I'd sat down. I'd probably wasted another twenty minutes just sitting there, watching people walk around otuside. I watched the service pile out, too, mostly old Moroi and their guardians.

"A beautiful woman should not have to take up hiding in such a dirty place."

The instant the voice spoke, I whirled and stood to face the door on the opposite side of the room in one smooth motion. By the door, stood a young man. He was tall and slender enough that I knew he was Moroi, but he wasn't as lanky as some of the other guys I'd seen walking around.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I said as soon as I could find my voice. This dusty church attic was feeling very crowded all of a sudden.

He smirked. "You wouldn't," he said thoughtfully, his eyes sweeping over me. Despite his tone making me uncomfortable, I blushed at the obvious attention and looked back at him.

He wasn't too much taller than me, but I was wearing heels so I had to add two or three more inches to the difference. He wore an expensive-looking gray coat, which fit his body exceptionally well, and leather dress shoes that hinted at more money still. He was definitely one of the wealthier royals. His brown hair was styled in such a way to look a little unkempt, and his eyes were either a blue or green--I couldn't be sure, even with the sky lightening behind me. I pegged him to be one or two years older than me, and his face was cute, I supposed--for a vampire, of course.

That smirk was still plastered on his face when he took a few steps closer, covering the distance between us in no time at all. "So how are you liking my little hideout?" he asked, his gaze burning into mine. My instinct was telling me to move around him and dash for the door, but there was something strangely compelling about this guy.

"It's quaint," I told him, but I don't remember giving my mouth permission to speak again.

"'Quaint,'" he chuckled, mocking my choice of vocabulary. "I like that." he moved beside me, closer to the window, and analyzed the lotus. "I've been coming here for years," he told me.

My nose scrunched up at the bitter smell on his breath. "That's a very bad habit," I mumbled, awkwardly trying to maneuver around him without touching him.

He inhaled deeply. "One of many," he said, and replaced me on the window seat.

I smiled in a sort of understanding way, and he made himself comfortable while I retreated slowly. I didn't want to be too quick about it, because I didn't want to make him feel like I was avoiding him, and because I was walking backwards.

"Leaving so soon?" He stood up and caught my gaze again. I paused, glancing behind me for only a moment before I was drawn back to his eyes. The table and broken vase were a few steps away, and the door even further.

"I'm meeting someone," I half-lied. "And she won't be happy that I've run off and got myself hidden."

He mused. "No, I suppose you're right."

"Well, I'll see you later," I said, and I twirled around to face the door--hitting the floor instead.

"Ouch," vampire boy said. "That looked like it hurt."

If I had something of a temper, I would have said something snarky and maybe slapped him. I didn't though. I gritted my teeth, picking my face up off the floor by the table. Damn my slow reflexes, letting me hit the ground like that. "That was...embarrassing," I mumbled.

He shrugged. "Are you alright?" he asked.

"I'm fine," I said, but he started sniffing the air. I'd tried to pull it off as nothing, but apparently that wouldn't happen.

"You're bleeding."

I picked myself up, quickly, holding my hand against my chest. "Just a little," I mumbled, but I knew the glass was deeper than that. I'd tripped and put my hands out clumsily, getting my palm all scratched up by the broken vase.

He mvoed forward before I could argue, snatching my wrist and holding it gently. He looked me in the eyes. "Let me see."

"I'm fine, really," I said as he inspected the wound, a little dazed by the accident. There wasn't any glass under my skin. The cuts didn't look that deep. I'd be able to wrap them and heal without any complications.

"I don't see any glass," he said, and covered the wound with one of his hands. He was warm, I noticed. A few seconds later, a tingly sensation sunk into my skin. It didn't hurt, and it was warm like his skin.

But it didn't feel right, and I kindly freaked out a little.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oooh. (: