Status: Standby for Updates

We Don't Live; We Survive

Into the Forrest

When the Hunters were first established we were trained to defend the city from the onslaught of undead. That was before the wall was built, now we’re just used more or less as hunters for hire. We get assigned a family and they tell us which family member we’re looking for--what they look like, how old they were when it happened, what they were wearing last. After having a sketch artist produce a picture for us we are unleashed into the Wasteland. If we aren’t killing for the closure of families we’re put on watch duty. Declan and I are the best Hunters Whitewood has. Declan was caught within the city when it all happened and was forced into the program when officials learned that his exchange family were all dead. He and I were top of our class, graduated early in fact. Very rarely are we ever put on guard duty, but here we are today, sitting in this God awful watch tower watching for something that hasn’t happened in five years.

“Why are we even up here?” My dark eyes scanning the barren landscape, my hands folded on the windowsill and my chin resting on my fingers, “They realize that what they are talking about hasn’t happened in forever!”

Declan’s green-blue eyes fall on me in that aggravatingly calm way of his, “Because, one of our own saw them.”

“Maybe he was lying! I mean, c’mon! There’s probably not even enough around this area anymore to create the horde Mason talked about!”

“You know just as well as I do that it isn’t really even the horde we’re concerned about.” He tilts his chin down and looks me dead in the eye, give me the full force of those sea green orbs, “It’s the speed and agility that Officials are concerned about. Yes, it hasn’t happened since the dead started to walk, but do you really want to take the chance of them breaking through the barrier? Killing Hunters? Citizens? Families? Cornelius?”

“Not cool, Declan. Not cool.” I huff turning my attention back to the Wasteland. He gets me with that logic every freaking time. “Hand me my bag.”

Declan throws my bag at me from across the small room, nearly hitting me in the head. I plunge my hand into the canvas backpack as I shoot a glare at my best friend. I grab a granola bar, a bottle of water, and a ham and cheese sandwich Cornelius made for me this morning. I finish off the granola in about three bites before drinking half of the contents in my plastic bottle.

“Well, aren’t we a wee bit famished?” Declan laughs, that accent flaring up as always. “Ya all but practically inhaled it!”

“Oh hush, Irish!” I retort shoving as much of my sandwich into my mouth as possible. “I didn’t have breakfast!”

“Ya know ladies don’t talk with their mouths full.”

I stand up and put my hands on my hips, mouth still full and glare at him, “Do I look like a lady to you?”

Declan laughs as I return to my station and finish my lunch.

“Moore! O’Brian!” Head Officer Monroe calls out from the bottom of the ladder leading up to our station. “Get yer asses down here!”

Monroe’s accent has always made me giggle, even in the dark days that followed the Wakening. But none the less, Declan and I are at full attention as we climb the ladder to the bottom and give the Head Officer a small salute. Monroe handed a few papers over to us before speaking, “This is yer next assignment. Two girls this time. Now, I know how y’all feel about these kinds of assignments but the client is willing to pay highly to get this resolved and is willing to pay for any expense we might have.”

I read over the papers, “Two girls? These girls are were no older than me when they were awakened!”

Declan takes the documents from my hands and looks over them, “She’s right. What made this client when to get closure at this point?”

“We dunno. We just get the assignments.”

I let out a heavy sigh, “Please, tell Leslie to pick up Cornelius after school. I don’t think I’ll be back in time.”

The Head Officer nods and sends us on our way.

Two hours later, Declan and I are high stepping through the tall grass that surround the Forest just outside the gate. My best friend and I are both dressed in similar garb. Black, light weight combat boots end half way up our shins. Close fitting, dark pants with holsters for a hand gun and long bladed knives are strapped at our thighs and hips. Dark, t-shirts and black jackets are the last of our uniform. Declan carries his preferred weapons, two long swords lain in an X pattern on his back. I carry a black bow; it was my father’s. We just past the tree line when Declan gives me a sideway look before running his slim fingers through his red hair. In another life I think maybe he would have been a musician, play a violin or the piano in front of a huge audience, basking in the glory of their applause not out here hunting down clients’ long dead loved ones.

The Forest is quiet, not many animals still live in these parts, the only thing to hear are the slow, staggered movement of dead feet and Declan’s steady breathing. “What do ya think we’ll find?”

Declan’s voice starts me at first, “Oh, um… I’m not sure. The usual? Two undead girls staggering about with the hunger of human flesh in mind.”

From somewhere behind us something fast rustles the tall grass around us. I spin around, bow at the ready, arrow already drawn. Beside me Declan has a sword out, taking a fighting stance. We scan the area back to back, making sure to miss nothing. Another noise to my left makes Declan and I spin to find the culprit. Nothing. “You did hear that, right? I’m not just going crazy?” Declan asks, attentively; his eyes scanning the surrounding trees.

“No, I definitely hear it.” I lower my bow just slightly, “Let’s keep moving. Slowly, though.”

Declan and I stay closer together than before, ready to back the other up if anything decides to show it’s face.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this took so long. I was without computer for a bit.
I hope you like it though. (: