Status: Hey guys. This is my first story, don't go easy on me though. I'd love feedback and suggestions. :)

Shallow Water

Chapter Two

The trees weren't the only thing covered in apples, the ground was peppered in them. Fat red and yellow dots covered the ground we walked on. We made our way through a row of trees, plopping apples in the buckets we dragged along with us. The smell of the orchard was indescribable. The fresh autumn air crisp in my lungs, the light breeze ruffling the leaves that fell around us.

“Hey, uh...Were you okay back in the car?” Hannah asked quietly. I wondered how long she'd been wanting to ask that. Usually Hannah spoke her thoughts before she could finish processing them.

I glanced up at the tree we stood in front of. taking my time picking out the perfect apple to plop in my bucket next. My hand snaked around a large yellow apple with light golden specks, I felt the smoothness of the apple on my palm.

“Nothing really, you know how the lake gets to me.” I finally replied. I've been scared of the water for years now. Well not all water, just Belle Water.

“Yeah, I know.” She looked down before continuing, making sure not to meet my gaze. “You just seemed really freaked out this time.”

I shifted my eyes towards her, my hand still firmly placed around the large golden apple. “I had another dream last night.”

“You did?” Her eyes went wide and her brow furrowed. “Wanna talk about it?”

“Not really. It was about Caleb. Just the same as the week before, and the week before that.” I sighed looking back up at the apple in my hand.

“Oh...Want to tell me anyway, I know it's bothering you.” She looked at me apologetically. Caleb was a very sensitive subject for the both of us. He died eleven years ago around this time, he was our best friend. Neither one of us liked to speak of how or why he died. If we could ignore the subject completely, we did. But she cared, she always cared. She knew this dream was eating me up. She'd put anyone's feelings before her own, that's just the way Hannah was.

“Well, okay.” I dropped the apple from my hand, deciding it was too pretty to pick. “We were down at Belle Water's edge with Caleb, making a fort. You and I went to fetch the sticks, while he went for the mud and rocks. Then you know the rest...” I tried to avoid eye contact, but it was useless. Hannah's eyes were like magnets, always pulling your attention to them.

“Why have you been dreaming about it so much lately?” She questioned, like I had a choice in what I dreamed about. Trust me if that was the case I'd be dreaming about pizza every night. Some people had their fantasies of celebrities they went to sleep thinking about, but not me. Nope, pizza was my lover. “I don't know. I've been wondering the same thing.” I stated truthfully.

“Are you seeing things again?” That caught me off guard. I never really discussed with anyone the things I've seen. Hannah always respected that, I don't know what made her ask that question now.

“Uh...” I stalled. Picking a few apples from the tree behind me and plopping them into my bucket. “I'm sure it's just because it's getting close to that time...” I diverted her question. I didn't like to talk about it, but it was true. Only two more weeks until the anniversary of Caleb's death. Weird things anniversaries. They can stand for so many different occasions, from the representation of a long lasting relationship, to the death date of your old friend.

“Allie, you're sensitive. That's okay.” She said consolingly, giving a weak smile in the process.

“Stop. I don't want to talk about it. And I'm not sensitive, tons of people see stuff. It doesn't mean anything okay? I'm sure I've been having more dreams about it because it's around that time, so just drop it. Please.” I snapped. I didn't mean to, but I did. Here was Hannah ignoring the pain she felt about the subject, to make sure I'm okay and I treated her like dirt in return. I don't know why she likes me so much. There's a million other people in the world that wouldn't treat her like crap over something so lame.

She looked down quickly, turning on her heel away from me and towards another tree. “I'm sure you're right Allie, sorry for making you uncomfortable.” She sighed in response. I wanted to reach out and tell her I was sorry, but I didn't. I just looked down and dropped another apple in my bucket.
…...........................

She drove me home in an uncomfortable silence. When she dropped me off at my house I gave her a slight smile and grabbed my school bag from the floor board. “Thanks for taking me to the orchard today Hannah.” I forced a very weak smile upon my lips. My attempts at apologies are so unbelievably pathetic. I don't mean them to come out that way, they just do.

“You're welcome Allie cat.” Her nick name for me ever since I can remember. I smiled genuinely this time, and closed the beat up truck door. Turning around walking up my drive. When I reached the porch steps I spun around, but she was gone. I didn't even hear her truck start.

I showered quickly, ready for sleep. I couldn't get the day's events out of my head. So when my little sister came into my room so abruptly, I jumped. “Hey, knock first Annie. You know that's rude.” I raised my voice as I talked to her sternly. She's only five, still learning right from wrong, so I was constantly being told to talk to her like an adult to teach her.

“I did, you just didn't hear me.” Her voice was small. Her big, chocolate brown eyes melting my heart into a ginormous puddle of goop.

“Oh, sorry Annie banannie.” It always made her giggle when I called her this. I smiled in return and ruffled her messy brown hair. “You need something?”

“Yeah. If I tell you a secret can I sleep with you tonight?” She asked. Her eyes going big like a puppy's.

“Hmm, depends on how good the secret is.” I played back.

“Okay. Well, mommy knows you have detention again. She's really angry this time.” Her eyes widened when she said 'angry'. I smiled at this. It's hard to ever make my mom that angry, but sometimes it could happen.

My mom was a good Saint's Birch citizen. She followed the crowd. She owned the local garden shop “Birch St. Blossoms”, which consumed most of her time. She always dressed to impress the old busy bodies that filled our town. She volunteered on Tuesdays and Thursdays baking, and serving goodies of all sorts at the old folks home. She attended church every single Sunday, even though she isn't that religious. And she belonged to the town's book club, garden club, and social events club. And every night, after every busy day, she would come home, take her pumps off and complain about how much she hated all of it.

“Really now? Well us sisters got to stick together, so I guess you'll have to sleep with me tonight Annie banannie.” I smiled down at her, seeing her wide grin spread from cheek to cheek.

“Really? Can I?” She asked excitedly, smiling again showing off the little gap where her front tooth should be. Ever since she lost it she's been so proud.

“Yup.” I said picking up her little body and tucking her into my bed. “That way when mom gets home I can hide behind you. She'll think you're me, and punish you instead.” I teased her, her eyes went wide.

“Butt butt.” This was her favorite name to call anyone who teased her. It always brought an efortless smile to my face. I got in next to my little sister, and turned off the night lamp.

“Night Annie, love you.” I cooed before shutting my eyes.

“Love you too butt butt.” Her little voice chirped.

The next thing I knew, I was dreaming.
♠ ♠ ♠
Opinions, and suggestions are appreciated :)