Status: Hey guys. This is my first story, don't go easy on me though. I'd love feedback and suggestions. :)

Shallow Water

Shallow Water 4

Chapter 4.

I sat on the leaf covered ground, taking in the beautiful scenery that surrounded me. The trees were almost bare, with only little clusters of red and yellow leaves dotting along the branches. The leaves under my body crunched every time I moved, making me smile effortlessly. The air filled with the smell of cinnamon, and autumn trees. We were completely secluded.

Procrastinating squirrels scurried to get the last of the acorns that fell from the trees, burrowing them in their nests for winter. A rickety bench sat in the far right corner of the park, along with an old swing set. The swing set used to have bright colors of pink and yellow splashed along the bars, but that was long ago. Now the colors were faded away from rain and weather. I sat quietly, pulling my knees up to my chest, taking in the beauty that surrounded me.

Hannah leaned her head against my left shoulder lightly. “It's beautiful isn't it?”

“Yeah, it is.” I breathed quietly, agreeing with her.

“You know you can talk to me about anything Allie. I wouldn't judge you.” She said this in a tone so light that I barely heard the words her lips spoke. I knew the pain I was holding in was affecting her.

“I know, I just don't want to feel crazy.” I admitted honestly. I mean I'm only eighteen, I want at least a few more years until they lock me up in a white room with padded walls and no pizza.

“You're not crazy. Trust me. I understand more than you think.” This made my eyes furrow. Wondering what she could possibly mean. “Talk to me.” She moved her head from my shoulder, forcing my eyes to meet hers.

“I don't get it Hannah. I don't understand, it's been so many years since Caleb died. Why after all this time are these dreams coming back so fiercely. I'm scared.” Tears welled up in my hazel eyes, causing the orange and yellow leaves to become blurred.

“Maybe it's a sign, maybe it means something.” Her bright green eyes were wide. She brushed the hair out of my face, wiping the tears away from my eyes. “Tell me all of what you remember from that day.”

“I don't know, I don't think it's a good idea.” The whole subject made me nervous, remembering that day was something I spent eleven years trying not to do.

“Please Allie cat.” Her voice was not persuasive, she was not trying to convince me. She stated it so simply, that if I weren't listening closely, I would have missed the hurt in her words. Her lips pressed against my cheek. She needed me to tell her, not for me but for her.

“Okay.” Taking a deep breath, I started remembering aloud the events of that day. And as I began, Hannah took my hand in hers twining our fingers. We closed our eyes in sync.
…....................

Hannah and I stood on a white wooden porch, waiting for the dark blue door to open, and Caleb's shaggy blonde head to pop out. We stood on the porch, jabbering away as we waited.

“Why would you wear a white dress when we're going to the lake?” I asked Hannah disapprovingly. “You know we're gonna be playing in mud right?”

“My mom made me wear it, it's for the festival. Plus It's pretty.” She grabbed the lacy ends of her little white dress and twirled.

“You're such a girl.” I shook my head, smiling at her all the while. I looked at my dirty black converse, tattered with holes and mud from past play dates with my two best friends.

The golden knob on the door turned, our faces lit up as Caleb's little blonde head popped out. His smile was the size of the Cheshire Cat's, his bright blue eyes shined with 'adventure' written across them.

“Hurry, run.” He grabbed our hands and dragged us off the porch, running through his front yard, smashing the bright African Violets his mother had planted along the drive. The door opened suddenly and out came a girl no older than Caleb. Her bright blonde hair was up in a pony tail and her eyes were furious. She stood with her hand on her hip as we froze mid step. Caleb's sister, had come to ruin our fun.

“Hey. I don't know what he told you, but he can't play today. He's not allowed.” She wiggled her hips as she spoke, nodding her head in a know-it-all way.

“Why can't he?” quizzed Hannah, “We just want to go to the lake.”

“Because my mom said he can't, that's why. And I don't need to be explaining anything to you anyhow. Come on Caleb.” Her blue eyes darted to his quickly, waiting for him to comply with her demand. “Come on.”

Caleb just stood there, thinking. He smiled quickly and grabbed our hands again, dragging us along as he ran. Leaving his sister in our dust as our footsteps hit the pavement.
..

When we reached the lake the sun was at it's highest point. The light radiated the forest, illuminating the leaves that lay on the ground. The sun sparkled over the water, Hannah's white dress was blowing in the light autumn breeze.

We laughed and played freely. This forest was our playground, the world was ours. When we were here, we ruled.

"Come on Allie, we need sticks for our house!"
 
"Okay. Caleb you go down to the river and collect mud for our base while Hannah and I go for the sticks."
 
"Alright. This fort will be perfect guys, I promise."

Hannah and I grinned in response and made our way into the thick brush of trees that filled the land. We picked up sticks of all shapes and sizes preparing to make the best fort the world has ever seen. Our hands were covered in dirt and grime from playing in the mud. Our laughs filled the wood around us. Today was perfect.

We made our way back to base camp to dump our building materials in the pile we had already started. Our feet crunching on the leaves as we walked. Discussing the design plans of the most awesome fort in the world.

Suddenly the birds stopped chirping. The forest was quiet. A shiver ran through my little body. The air cooled, and the sun hid. The forest was dark. Hannah and I stopped in our tracks, hiding ourselves just out of sight of the long trail that led to the water.

Footsteps slowly made their way down the trail. Grunting noises came from an unseen stranger. Two long legs dressed in dark black jeans walked backwards past our hiding spot. Two lanky arms showed through the bushes we were hiding behind. Something was in this strangers hands, he was dragging something.

The noise was horrible. Muffled cries came from the thing he was dragging in a brown sack. Hannah and I watched, frozen in our place as the man with the lanky arms grabbed a large rock and smashed it over the bundle. He smashed and smashed the dark brown lump, until thick burgundy spots of blood stained the fabric and the muffled cries had silenced. He dropped the rock onto the ground with a hard thud.
…............

I opened my eyes. I had been talking for so long that the forest was now dark. The moon was high in the sky, crickets chirped in the distance. Hannah's hand was still in mine, but I found I was shaking. Hard. My body was convulsing and beads of sweat rolled from my forehead. Salt filled tears stained my pale cheeks as they rolled down in streams.

Hannah held my body closely, hugging me as I shook. Her tears dripped from her beautiful green eyes and fell onto my shoulder. We sat in silence for what seemed like an hour. Her arms wrapped around my thin body, holding me so I knew I was not alone.

We had gone through the terror of losing our best friend once already, but now we were going through it again. It was as if it had all happened yesterday.

It felt as though Hannah never let go of my body, but somehow I ended up in the passenger seat of her rusted up truck. We were quiet as she drove me home. I had no thoughts in my mind. I was numb.