You're My Kryptonite

My story

I couldn't breathe. I stared at him unwillingly. My eyes couldn't look away.

"What's wrong, Addie?" Harry said with both hands resting on my shoulders. I was shaking uncontrollably. He led me out of the ballroom and sat me in a big comfortable chair. I wanted to tell him about everything, but all that came out of my mouth was a breathless whisper.

"Bryan."

"Is that the boyfriend from high school that made you start having your anxiety attacks?"

I nodded and continued to cry. He sat with me and tried to calm me.

"You wait here a few minutes, when I come back we're going home," He said, kissing my forehead.

I waited in that chair for about ten minutes before I heard a woman scream. I started to get up and go into the ball room and saw Bryan holding his face, Harry walking through the door. A security guard ran up behind him.

"Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to-"

"Leave. I know. Unsettled business had to be taken care of. I'll leave willingly," Harry said, grabbing my hand as he walked towards the exit. I was still in shock.

"Well. Since now I know all about Bryan, it's about time we learned more about each other," Harry started, grabbing my hand once we got into the car. I nodded and he took that as a sign that he was going to talk first.

"I have slight anger problems. But only with things I'm passionate about. I don't just get angry at everything. If something I love is involved, I'm very easy to set off. Bryan messed with your emotions and health, so now it's his turn. I only did that because I really like you Addie, and you deserve better than that scumbag. I have no idea what to call my relationship with my dad...I guess nonexistent, but my mom is basically superwoman. I love her so much, and she took on the role of both parents. She really took care of me while I was growing up... I guess that's about it for me..."

He nodded to me, signaling my turn. My story was more dramatic than his, and I hated telling it because I was always accused of making it up to produce sympathy. I took a deep breath, and figured that if Harry didn't believe this, then I didn't need to be around him. So this was the test.

"When I was younger, my mom and brother were flying from Boston to Los Angeles to see my grandparents. My brother was only four, and had never made the trip to see them. My mom wanted to take him to see their beach house and take his first trip out of the state. The tickets for the plane were really expensive and we didn't have the money to buy more than two tickets, and since I had school my father said he would stay home with me and my older sister. It was an ordinary day. We were sitting in class, talking to friends, it was ordinary. Then I heard the principal come over the loudspeaker and announce for all teachers to turn their televisions to the news and that no one was to leave the classrooms until further notice. Our teacher turned the television on, and there was the footage. American Airlines Flight 11 flying into the World Trade Center. I was mortified, but then the victims names started scrolling on the screen. I saw my mother's name and my brother's name. There are no words to describe that feeling. Of knowing you will never see those people again. I believe that that's when my anxiety started. From that point on, we never got on any planes. We would just drive. Sure it took a whole lot longer, but my dad couldn't dare step on a plane because of what had happened. Fast forward a few years. My boyfriend at the time, Bryan, had treated me amazingly. I told him this story of how my mom and brother had died, and since we had told everyone that my mom had simply left and taken my brother with them and my classmates were not paying any attention the the victims names on the screen that day so everyone believed this story. Bryan included. That was when the abuse started. He called me a liar and cursed my name. He threw bottles at me and said things such as 'no wonder your mom left you' and so forth. My dad had gotten me anxiety medication after the plane crash, but now, on top of the anxiety medication, I was on anti-depressants for about a year. My dad got a restraining order against Bryan and that's about it."

I took a deep breath and looked at Harry. That was a lot of information to hit him at one time, but he simply continued to caress my hand as he drove. We finally got to the guest house and he carried me into the large living room and sat me down on the sofa. He sat down beside me and held me, rocked me, and sang me to sleep. He said nothing about the story, just comforted me and soothed me to a point of relaxation.

"You might want to put on some comfier clothes. I'm going to do the same and talk to mom. You're welcome to come with me, or you can go ahead to sleep," He said, stroking my hair.

"I think I'm just going to try to go to sleep," I said, getting some sweatpants and a t-shirt out of my bag. He kissed my forehead and grabbed his clothes. He changed and began to walk to the main house, while I washed my makeup off and laid in bed. I started watching TV. Anything to get my mind off of what I told Harry. At least he took it better than Bryan.

-Harry's POV-

I walked into kitchen, looking around at all of the pots and pans. I walked to the refrigerator and saw our family pictures. I couldn't imagine not having my mom. Mothers are the nurturers of a child at all times of their life. I haven't met her father, but I could imagine being a father and trying to nurture a child in the same way a mother could would be really difficult.

"What's troubling you, sweetheart?" My mother asked, taking a seat at the island with her cup of tea.

"Addie told me about her mother and brother. They died in the 9/11 attacks... I just don't know how to take it."

"Pretend like she never told you. Of course you should know that it happened, but don't treat her differently because you know that now. Obviously she trusts you quite a bit, or else she wouldn't have told you. It's just a part of her life that she is probably tired of hiding," Mom said, sipping from her tea.

"I guess that makes sense..."

"And Harry," she said as she stood up.

"Yes mom?"

"You've got a good one. Keep her around," she said as she set the tea cup in the sink. She kissed me on the forehead and we wished each other a good night. I went back to the guest house thinking about me and Addie.

Yes, I fell quickly for her. I always do when it comes to girls. But this was different. I couldn't put my finger on how it was different, but instead of just flirting, I'm wining and dining this girl...I opened the door quietly, walking into the bedroom and looking at the sleeping body of the girl I've fallen head over heels for. I laid down beside her and wrapped my arm around her. She whimpered in her sleep, so I held onto her tighter as I fell asleep myself.

--Adelaide's POV--

"Nobody move!" the voice screamed. I was in the cockpit of a plane and turned to see the man holding me ransom. I saw Bryan, with a gun pointed at me.

"All you have to do is fly the plane, my princess," he said, a long finger brushing against my cheek. The gun brushed against the other cheek.

I hyperventilated and couldn't force my body to move. He wrapped his long arms around me and held me as tight as he could forcing the gun further into the back of my head. I braced myself for the shot.


I woke up screaming and kicking with all of my might. I shoved Harry's arms off of me and sat at the foot of the bed and cried. Harry slid down to the end of the bed and wrapped his arms around me again. I cried into his chest as he soothed me.

"I love you, Adelaide."

"I love you too, Harry."
♠ ♠ ♠
Dang! Lots of drama! Lots of drama! Comments please!