You're My Kryptonite

First Day

I woke up, the tiredest I've been in weeks. I got a job as a teacher in training at the local elementary school, middle school, and high school. I slowly got out of bed at 5 am. I had to be at the elementary school by 6:30 to meet my teacher-boss-lady. After my shower, I went to my room and put on my favorite dress, it was a tan-color tank top attached to a navy blue skirt with small flowers printed on it. I slipped my Toms on and my gold heart necklace and earrings. I got my keys and my purse and locked my apartment behind me. I saw Harry and his friends going into his apartment.

"Hey Adelaide!" Harry said, hugging me.

"Hey Harry!" I said, smiling into his chest.

"Where are you going?" He asked, walking with me to the elevator.

"Oh, I have a job at the local schools. I'm a teacher in training," I said, smiling.

"Ah cool. Are you going to the elementary school?" He said, looking at my kid-friendly outfit.

"Yep! I'm helping with all classes today!" I said, walking to my car.

"Well good luck! I'll visit you this afternoon when you get home!" He said, hugging me before I left.

"Bye Harry!" I said, hugging him back, then walking to my car. I got into my car and blasted some music to get pumped up for the day.

When I got to the school parking lot, I found it odd to park in the faculty parking spot. I had always wanted to be a teacher, but to be parking in a faculty parking spot made it all real for me. I walked into the office, greeting the secretary. She signed me in and gave me my pass and the teacher's name.

"You will be with Mrs. Thorns, room D-2."

"Thank you, ma'am!" I said, cheerily while walking out the door. I found the classroom and knocked on the door.

"Come in!" She said from inside the classroom.

I walked in and I was genuinely surprised that this was a fifth grade class room. There was a giant wooden clubhouse that took up a corner of the room. It was called the reading cave and there were shelves and shelves of books around the giant clubhouse. There were big ladders leading to the entrance of the wooden masterpiece. I looked around the room and saw colors and fun things everywhere. I felt comfortable and at home.

"Hello! You must be Ms. Landry! I'm Mrs. Thorns! I'm so excited to work with you!" She said, grinning. She was an older lady, maybe in her 40s or 50s with a very motherly look about her. She was one of those people that you feel incredibly comfortable around. She hugged me and showed me where to put down my things.

She gave me some paper and told me to come up with some lesson plans and if she liked them, she'd let me instruct today. I got to work, and soon the children began showing up. We led them in the pledge of allegiance, and we had a moment of silence, then began with the day.

By the time recess had come around, I had already taught a math lesson and a science lesson. After recess I would teach art and history, and the kids would have GYM. The bell rang and the children filed into the school. I followed some of the kids and walked into our classroom. The children sat down and I walked to the front of the room.

"So today's history lesson will go along with your art project later, so make sure you pay extra attention!" I said, smiling.

I got 23 nods in response.

"What do you guys know about World War II?"

A little girl raised her hand and I pointed at her, "It was bad!"

"Well not entirely," I answered, smiling at the young girl.

No other hands were in the air.

"World War II was a bad thing, but there were many things that helped America! Like, who has a mom who goes to work everyday?"

Most of the class raised their hands.

"Well because of World War II, your mom can go to work, Mrs. Thorns can come teach you, and I can come teach you. Before World War II, women didn't really get to work. The jobs went to the men. Well, the men were drafted into the war so they weren't here to work, so who would take their jobs?!" I asked enthusiastically.

"Our mommies!" A little boy said. I chuckled.

"Yes! Yes! Now, your art project is to make a poster encouraging women to join the workforce! Here are some examples!" I said, while putting Rosie the Riveter posters up on the chalkboard. I put big pieces of paper and markers all over the room, encouraging them to mingle and talk to each other while creating. Mrs. Thorns motioned for me to go into the hallway with her while the kids were working and I followed suit.

"You're doing amazingly! When they told me I was getting a student teacher, I thought I'd be out of luck, but you're doing great! Do you mind...I don't know how to ask this without sounding lazy, but will you grade some of the papers so that you can gauge the student's intellectual levels?"

"I really don't mind, Mrs. Thorns! Anything to help me be better at this student teacher thing!" I said, smiling. We went into her room and she handed me the giant stack. My face fell slightly, but I wasn't about to complain. Soon the end of the day came, and I took the posters and papers to be graded and got into my car and drove home. I got everything up to my room, setting it on my dining table and going to change into comfy clothes. I got changed into a pair of sweat pants and a white t shirt and went to the kitchen to fix a meal and some hot chocolate. I sat down at the table and began grading the posters. I heard a knock on the door and went to open it. Harry smiled, clad in pajamas and a box of chocolates and flowers. I smiled.

"Harry," I said smiling, hugging him. He put the chocolates on the table, looking at the stack of papers and posters.

"It's gonna be a long night, huh?" He said, laughing at some of the posters.

"Yeah, you're gonna stay up with me right?" I asked, sipping some fresh hot chocolate.

"You know it," He said smiling. I went to sit down.

"Lets grade these bad boys."