Status: Complete

What You Don't Know

Chapter Five: Gracie

"So...what exactly do we have to cover a poster board for?" I ask Ty. He sits back in his library chair. I found out we had study together for first period and took advantage of it. We took the coveted corner table, just out of the librarian's view and in the quietest spot of the library. I'm quite thankful that he thought of signing up for it beforehand, since multiple groups of students wanted it when we arrived. I asked how he could possibly attain it over the seniors grasp, and he said the librarian was his aunt Maven. What luck for me! "Well," my mind is dragged back to reality by his voice, "we're supposedly supposed to talk aimlessly about the Archimedean property and make a fucking stupid poster about this shit." I blush a bit at his curses, but I'm used to hearing them fly out from my Brettly's mouth. "You ready for torture?" a less than enthusiastic smile grows on his face. We both stifle a laugh after it falls back to normal. "Let's get 'er done," I saw with a god-awful fake southern accent. We both crack up in full- on laughter only to be shushed by what sounds like millions of mouths.
Our faces are still burning red as we settle back down after a trip to impossibly find books about this dumb property. I don't know how, but we're getting along well together. I wonder if Brettly said something to him. He probably did. I shouldn't say anything. I thought I was done with this worrying. I thought this was gone. I thought it had gone into the deep abyss with every other despicable thing from my earlier life. God dammit. Just don't ask, Gracie. JUST DON'T DO IT. "Did Brettly put you up to this? Being nice to me?" I ask against my mind's own will. My heart has taken over. He flips his head up quickly from the book he was trying so hard to concentrate on. "What?" he asks quietly, more concerned than pissed or annoyed.
"Is Brettly making you be nice to me? I told him we were working together. I'm sure he talked to you. I'd be surprised if he didn't," I explain.
"Gracie...Grace. What do you like to be called?"
"Gracie."
"I wouldn't be talking with you if I didn't like to. I want to talk to you, not because Brettly or anyone else forced me but because I want to talk to you."
"Brettly didn't threaten you?"
"Well, he did. I'm not going to lie, but that's not my motivation to hang with you."
"Then, what is? What is your motivation to actively work on this project with me and not leave everything to me like every other partner I've had for school projects?"
"Because I want to. This isn't a set or joke. I want to do this with you. That's as simply as I can put it."
"Okay," I chew on my lower lip, a little embarrassed about my doubts and worries.
"Don't be embarrassed, Gracie. You were just being honest. You don't have to be afraid to say or ask things in front of me. I know what it's like to hold those things in. Don't embarrassed, okay?" He looks at me, straight into my eyes with his brown eyes. I might melt right there. "Okay?" He asks again.
"Okay," I answer.
What could he have possibly been through that he could understand. I don't know, but I'm a bit grateful. At least he didn't make me say my motivation behind my doubts and adverse feelings. I can only imagine what Brettly said to him, but I can't hide things from Brettly. I tell him everything. Ty is probably telling the truth. Brettly trusts him, so I should too. He softly says he's going to get back to his research. I join him in the quiet of the coveted corner of the library.
-----------------------------------------
I'm at my locker at the end of the school day. when I hear my name being called. I look around but don't see anyone. I go back to grabbing things from my locker. A flash of auburn hair shows up in my right peripheral. I startle a little, but, when I look over, I realize that it's Ty. "Shit, I'm sorry," he says when he realizes he scared the shit out of me. "I'll be alright...eventually," I say. He laughs. God, I love it when he laughs. "Well, I was wondering if you wanted a ride home. Maybe we can figure out when we can start producing this poster board outside of school. Hockey practice is later today," he seems anxious, a little nervous. I know he hasn't been with any other girl since since Lani, but it seems that he still gets nervous asking girls if they want a ride home.
"Sure. I'd like that. I'd appreciate it, too, because it looks like it's pouring out," I answer. We look out they hallway windows that overlook that parking lot. "Okay, cool. Well, I have my bag together, so I'll just wait for y-"
"Oh, look at that little fucker hanging with Miss Suicide USA," we both hear Lani's voice. We look at her behind us. "Well, it looks like he's lowering his standards to nothing. Good luck. I hope you don't like big dicks because he sure doesn't have one." Her posse laughs and walks away with her. Every one is looking at us. I rapidly shove everything in my bag. I have just enough to time slam my locker shut before he's pulling me by the wrist down the hallway and out the doors. He doesn't stop until we get to his car. He opens and closes my door for me and then gets in on his side. We're absolutely drenched. We sit in silence for what seems like an hour but is only minutes. "I didn't know she was like that towards you," I break the silence with my ax of a sentence. He steams a little bit before calming. "She broke my fucking heart, tore it out of fucking my chest. She's been saying that to her little minions ever since. She didn't seem to have a problem when we were doing it. I fucking can't stand that fucking cold, heartless bitch. I put everything on the line for her," he voice keeps climbing the scale. I start to shake a little bit. "All I ever did was take care of her. All she wanted to do is lose her fucking virginity. I wanted a fucking relationship. How could I be so fucking stupid? I could've saved my virginity and energy for someone else who actually cared about me and wanted me. FUCK. But, now, I popped her cherry, and all she could say then was how big I was. I know I'm big. Like, fucking hell. She's a lying, jealous, and vindictive bitch." He let's out a primal yell.
Not only did he just admit to me that he was big, which gives me something to think about not going to lie, but he confided in me. I'm still shaking a bit when he looks at me. The fire in his eyes has been extinguished. "I'm sorry, Gracie. I shouldn't have put all that on you," he looks so sincere. He is sincere. "It's okay, Ty. Everyone needs to get things out sometimes," I look at him comfortingly.
"Did I tell you that I was big...down there?" he asks with a little sheepishly.
"...Yeah," I stifle a giggle and blush.
"Shit. Sorry, I didn't mean for that to come out. I don't want just sex from girls. Okay?"
"I understand. Okay? Don't worry."
"Okay. Let's get you home. We don't need anymore drama."
We let out a "Hah," and he pulls out of the parking lot. I hope everything will blow over by tomorrow...Probably not.
♠ ♠ ♠
This was not what I intended the chapter to be like, but it just came out while I was writing it. I liked it. Definitely a good chapter for me. Tell me what you think.