Sequel: Once I Remember You

Until You Remember Me

Liam

That kiss between Cheryl and Jake loops in my head. It plays like a scene in my head, that one part of a movie that makes me cringe. Thinking of other things don’t block it out, however, because no matter what, seeing his lips pressed against her and her arms wrapped around his neck causes my vein in my neck to pop out.

That was more than just a kiss.

“Hey, new guy. Getting coffee again today?” I snap out of my brain fog to see Gunner facing me, a huge smile on his face. I give him a small laugh in return.

“No, I am just going to order a mango lime smoothie and a honey sriracha chicken sandwich.” My voice comes out harsher than expected, but Gunner doesn’t notice, for he adds the order to the computer.

“Oh, I see someone is spicing it up,” Gunner chuckles, staring back up at me. “Any side item with your sandwich?”

“Um, just your homemade seasoned chips.”

“Okay, that’ll be twelve dollars and seventy-five cents.” I take out a twenty dollar bill and hand it to him, but he gives me back the money, shaking his head. “It’s on the house. A friend of Cheryl is a friend of mines.”

A generous smile spread across my face. “Why, thank you, Gunner.” He nods before scooting me away to attend to another customer. Searching the café, I notice that the place is more packed than it was when I first came in. Hoping to steal a seat somewhere, I see that the table I was at last time is available. I quickly head towards the spot, claiming it before someone else does. Seating down, I get a glimpse of myself through the glare of the window and run my hands through my tangled hair. Seeing if I fixed my hair, I adjust my eyes to the blue Corolla pulling up into a parking spot. I don’t have to wait for the driver to get out to know who it is. Her hair is bouncing as she walks away from her car, and her black skirt is drifting with the wind. Cheryl isn’t that tall, but it is something about the way she carries herself that gives her extra height. Her face is a stone, expressing no emotions, which could mean this meeting isn’t going to be a cheerful one.

“A honey sriracha chicken sandwich with homemade chips and a mango lime smoothie?” A strong Scottish accent startles me as I move my attention from the window to see a beautiful, multicolored hair woman smiling down at me. I nod embarrassedly and watch as she places my food and drinks on the wooden table. “You are Liam, correct?”

“Um, yes, I am. You must be Gunner’s girlfriend, Linda.” I clear my throat, immediately taking a sip of my smoothie.

“Yes, I am.” Linda giggles, but there is something musically about it that soothes me. Before I can comment, Cheryl pops out from behind Linda. Linda becomes completely aware of Cheryl’s presence and shifts her body a little to greet Cheryl. “Cheryl, love, how are you?”

“Hey, Lin. It’s Wednesday, so pretty much waiting for the weekend to arrive.” Cheryl sighs tiredly and plumps down on her seat. Cheryl avoids looking my way, keeping her focus on Linda. “I am suspended from school again.”

“Cher, what did you do this time?” Linda places her tray by her hip, pushing some hair out of her face. I can’t describe the colors of her hair, for they are merged with one another. It looks like a pale shade of purple, pink, red, and orange.

“A psycho bitch got a hold of some pictures of me from that party I had a few weeks ago. The one at my house where I was completely trashed.”

“Oh, the one where you made out with that adorable girl from Knoxville?”

“Yes, that girl. Some perv next door took pictures of me kissing her and dancing with a guy. I came to school to see those pictures posted on walls and locker. At least they weren’t posted on social media, or at least, I’m not aware of them on social media. Anyways, I showed her up and was sent to the principal’s office.” Cheryl lends back into the chair, putting her phone onto the table.

“Well, I am sorry to hear that, Cher. At least you get to chill at home for a while, “ Linda jokes, readjusting the tray up to her hip. “Anything I can get for you?”

“I already told Gunner what I am getting. I order my usual drink and some Thai chicken lettuce wraps.”

“Oh, that’s your order. Well, let me grab it. It should be ready by now.” Linda gives both of us a quick smile before excusing herself and heading to the kitchen. For a brief moment, all I can hear is the mutters of conversations, the clinking of plates and cups, and the ringing of a bell over the entrance doors. Cheryl is glancing down at her phone, typing on her screen. Knowing I am being ignored, I take another sip of my smoothie before getting the courage to start the conversation. I am the one who wanted to talk to her.

“You know, I didn’t expect to see a personal side of you today. I thought we weren’t friends,” I say half-jokingly and taking a bite of my sandwich. I hear a snort from across the table, but don’t look up. I continue to focus on my meal, waiting on Cheryl to response. Instead of saying something to me, though, she thanks Linda who has come back to deliver Cheryl’s food and drink. After exchanges a few words, Linda leaves the table, and Cheryl stares at me, a smile on her face.

“You know what, Kennard, it amazes me how much you are moving up the ladder at school, and you only been here less than a week. I am so impressed, for I just can’t wrap my head around it.” The fire in Cheryl’s eyes are blasting at full force, but her face is remotely calm as she takes a sip of her drink.

“What can I say? It is such a welcoming town. Well, almost welcoming.” I match her smile and drink my smoothie.

“Oh, so I am not being welcoming?” Cheryl cocks her eyebrows, taking a bite of our food.

“I didn’t say you aren’t welcoming, though, you aren’t the friendliest person in this town.”

“Well, I’m sorry, Kennard. What you see is what you get, and if you don’t like it, there are other people to hang out with in this town. I mean you have been getting friendly with Stephanie,” she says straightforwardly.

“Just like you got close with Jake earlier today,” I respond back absentmindedly. I finish my sandwich, my eyes meeting the flames erupting in her eyes. The little grin on her face has been replaced with a scowl, and she puts her drink down, narrowing her eyes at me.

“So, this is what this is about? Me kissing Jake?”

“No, but I see that me hanging out with Stephanie is a crime.”

A harsh laugh comes out of Cheryl’s mouth, which wasn’t expected. “Look, if you want to hang out with the she-devil herself, go right away. Just know that I can’t be your friend in return.”

“Two days ago you didn’t even want to become my friend. What, now if I join forces with her, I am the enemy?”

“You can say that. You were there when Stephanie was coming up with this evil scheme to ruin me today. You know how crazy she is, so why would you want to go along with that? Go along with that crowd?”

“Because Jake is becoming a good friend with me, and he is the reason why I am even doing football again. Yeah, Stephanie isn’t the greatest, but at least she isn’t anti-social.” That last part slips out, and a moment of regret washes over me.

“Oh, so I am anti-social because I choose not to become one of the fakes at that school? You have only been here for three days, so you are only getting to see the sunshine and lollipop version of our school, but everyone isn’t what they really are. You are new, so everyone is going to treat you like a new toy to play and use, and once you are old and worn out, you will become faded out like a rag doll, and everyone will go on to something shiny and new. Stephanie and her group are using you. I mean look at you.” Cheryl gestures toward me, her eyes roaming from my face to my chest. I forget I have on a tight-fitting t-shirt today, which was bringing out the feature of my arms and chest.

“Okay, I get it. I am an attractive guy and, trust me, she gives me enough uncomfortable stares. I know she is attracted to me, but I am not hanging out with Stephanie. I am friends with Jake, and Stephanie just happens to tag along.” I shrug my shoulders, leaning back against my chair.

“Exactly. Look, I have my own type of friends, and you apparently have yours. I like who I am, for I hasn’t fallen down the cracks yet. Maybe you should reevaluate who you want to be friends with in this town. If you choose the wrong path, you will have to live with that decision for the rest of your time here.” Cheryl chugs down the rest of her drink before standing up. I follow suit and stand up with her as she begins to grab her stuff to leave.

“Cheryl, I want to be friends with you, but I also have the right to choose who I want in my friend group without it becoming such an issue.”

“Well, it looks like you have already made your decision.” Cheryl gives me one more glance before heading towards the doors. Wanting to kick myself, I grab my car keys and chase after her. She is already close to her car when I catch up.

“Cheryl, why is it such a huge deal for me not to become friends with Jake and his group?” I touch her shoulder, getting her to pause in her tracks. Cheryl spins around, darting her eyes at me with rage.

“Because you don’t get it, Liam! They aren’t going to treat you like a real friend should. That crowd is full of arrogant, narcissistic people who only care about how much money their parents have and how many people they can destroy. All of them think that the world revolves around them, and everyone is willing to kiss their asses. Jake might want to be your friend and all, but come on, he is only friendly with you for a reason. They aren’t all amicable unless they want to get something out of you or destroy you.” Cheryl begins to walk towards her car.

“Then, why did you kiss Jake today? Why did you amuse Stephanie with that little strip you did today?” I shout out, following behind her. Cheryl stops and twirls all the way around, striding towards me.

“To show that I am not scared of Stephanie, for I don’t give a shit about what she does to me. If I didn’t do anything today, it would prove to her that she has finally managed to get to me. I have dealt with her group for years, even before high school, and I have gotten sick and tired of the shit they do to me and people like me. Doing that little stunt today just proved they can’t hurt me, and they never will.” Cheryl is breathing out steam, the flames in her eyes breaking out into huge fires. However, staring at her brown eyes and enraged face trigger me and an image of a woman similar to Cheryl pop in my mind. She has the same anger expression, but she is as beautiful as Cheryl, with her curly hair put in a bun, and her light brown eyes match the beauty of her face. I want to soothe those fine lines on her forehead and stroke those puffed out cheeks with my hand. I have an urge to kiss those pouted red lips, and before I can stop myself, I grab her face and bring my lips to hers.

The environment around us starts to spin as if we are in the middle of a tornado, lifting us off the ground. My lips press against Cheryl’s, and for a moment, I fear that Cheryl will let go and punch me, but instead, her lips begin to move against mines fiercely. My body suddenly takes control and pull Cheryl closer. Electric shocks run down my spine, and all my senses spike up, as I touch Cheryl’s soft skin. The taste of her lips intrigue me, for it is a mixture of honey and sugar, and all I want to do is pin her against the car and kiss her until my lips fall apart. The kiss deepens as Cheryl’s hands run my hair and my hand lightly grip her face. Kissing Cheryl is slowing bringing back all of our memories together in the past, being deeply in love. Every kiss we shared decades ago have never felt this electrifying and magical, and I am praying that this isn’t the only time I get to have this experience with Cheryl. I hope this kiss never ends, for once, I get to have an intimate moment with Cheryl.

However, just like every moment with Cheryl, her lips quickly parts away, and I am left staring at her closed eyes.

“Cheryl?” I whisper, pushing some of her hair off of her face. Her eyes bolt open and blink as they focus on me. I rub my thumb against her cheek, and she flinches, stepping back.

“I’m sorry, I have to go.” Cheryl backs up, avoiding meeting my eyes. She walks to her car and opens the driver’s door. All I could do is watch her start up her car and pull out of her parking spot.

“What’s up, man?” Jake pats me on the back, standing right next to me. After kissing Cheryl, it is weird talking to the guy who also kissed her. Plus, part of me wants to punch him in the face. That is all he has been talking about in the locker room. He has commented on every curve and parts of Cheryl’s body, even saying that he will hit that the minute he breaks up with Stephanie. Even as a guy, I was disgusted by the conversation he and the team were having about Cheryl’s body.

“Dude, you were so quiet in the locker room. Did you not like the way we were talking about your woman?” Jake laughs. I really wish I can punch the shit out of me right now.

“She isn’t my woman. She is just a really good friend.” That statement isn’t fully true, but I can’t go around claiming Cheryl as my girlfriend. Hell, she doesn’t even want to be my friend. After that kiss we shared, I honestly don’t know what to call us. Is there a term for someone you kissed after meeting them two days ago?

“I don’t know, if you guys were really good friends, she would have kissed you, not me.”
Well, he doesn’t know that.

“Look, Jake,” I was about to tell him off, but I can hear the coach yelling for both of us, so I run towards the field rather than finish what I have to say.

“Yes, coach?” I ask. He is speaking to one of the players, a clipboard in his hands. With Coach Harrison, you find yourself having to repeat things twice before you get his attention.

“Oh, Kennard, I know you have just started on the team, but I want you to trade spots with Rivera today.”

“Trade places, sir?” Did he just ask me to become quarterback for the day?

“Yes. I need to see how you do as a quarterback. I am thinking about making you Jake’s backup. Here is the play I want you to do,” He presented his clipboard, showing me the game plan. “Now, go out there.” He points towards the field, and without hesitation, I run to the center of the field, where the offensive team is.

“Hey, wait up,” I turn around to see Jake is jogging up to me, and I stop. Once he catches up to me, we both meet up with the team.

“Okay, guys, so coach wants me to play the ball today as quarterback,” I say, watching as the whole group stare at me with disbelief.

“Hold up. Coach is letting you be quarterback today?” Jordan snort, spitting on the ground. “Jake, make sense of all of this for me. Is coach really letting this prick quarterback?”

“Yeah, Coach is “wanting to test the water” and see what our new guy can do as quarterback. If he is good, he might become my backup.” Jake shrugs, putting his helmet on. There is something in the way he said backup that indicates that he isn’t genuinely pleased about being replaced. I can’t say that I don’t desire to be a quarterback than receiver, for that is all I have ever enjoyed doing in football, but I know that if coach replaces Jake with me, this friendship will fade as fast as we became friends.

“Well, quarterback, what is our play?” Jordan asks.

Everyone is now staring at me, waiting for my response. Even with my three years of experience as a quarterback, I am not prepared, but I know that I can’t just stand here and do nothing. I call everyone to huddle up, and instead of using coach’s play, I think of a play my team did in Santa Fe and tell the group the plan, directing out positions to each player. After everyone hears the play, I dismiss everyone, who get in their position beside the defense team. As I glance over everyone, I pray that the play goes out right or goodbye any chance of me becoming quarterback or playing on this team in general.

“Green 80, green 80, hut, hut,” I shout, and Jordan passes me to the ball through his legs. I step back and, remembering my play, I spot Jake running down the field, waiting for me. At that moment, I throw the ball sharply and watch as it lands in Jake’s arms. Avoiding being tackled, Jake sprints farther down the field, dodging one of the defensive players. The minute Jake reaches the end zone, I hear coach’s whistle go off. Mark comes up to me and pats me hard on the back.

“Good play, man!” Mark hollers in my ear, and I nod in agreement. I glance over to the coach who is also in agreement, giving me the thumbs up. For thirty more minutes, we continue to go over plays, and every time, it is a success. After coach calls it a day, he pulls me to the side, stopping me outside of the locker room.

“Kennard, you got a gift. Where did you get some of those plays from?” He folds his arms across his chest, meeting my eyes.

“Um, well, I just knew some of those plays from my time at Santa Fe.” I shrug, tapping my helmet against my outer thigh. As much as I want to talk to the coach about becoming the backup for Jake, I would love to take a shower and get a bite.

“Well, I see a lot of potential from you. Are you thinking about doing football in college?” He asks, fitting the hat on his head. I have never even thought about where I am going to college, to be honest.

“It hasn’t really crossed my mind, yet.”

“If you do consider it, which you should, I am excellent friends with some college coaches, and I would love for them to come out to a game and watch you. In the meantime, Jake and you will be sharing the position of quarterback and receiver. I think that you are better off as our quarterback than receiver.” He nods before poking at my shoulder. “You got a great talent, son.”

He nods to himself one more time before leaving for his office. Standing there, blinking, I try to piece together what just happened. Did the coach just reward me the quarterback position? Am I now co-quarterback? Is that even a thing?

Scratching my head, I shake my head and begin walking into the locker room. Coming up to my locker, I see Jake is waiting for me.

“What did the coach say?”

“He is making us both quarterbacks and receiver. We will be sharing both positions.” I open my locker, starting to take off my uniform and shoulder pads.

“So, we are basically co-captains?” Jake sits down on the bench, moving my helmet out of the way.
“Yeah, you can say that.” I grab my clothes out of the locker and close it, looking at Jake.

“Of course this will happen. Only on the team for two days, and you are already coach’s favorite.” Jake laughs bitterly, shaking his head.

“I am not his favorite. He just thinks I have potential.”

“Well, isn’t that great? What’s next? He is going to give you an award for the most valuable player before the championship?” There is a sharp and sour tone to what he is saying, and I fold my arms, frowning.

“Dude, what is your problem? Coach wants me to become quarterback, and I mean I do have experience from three years in New Mexico. It is not like he completely made me quarterback.”

“Yeah, well, that is what you think, but once we play our first game, that will all change.” Jake gets up and steps close to me, inches away from my face. I decide to size him up and stand tall, straightening my shoulders. He looks me up and down before huffing out a snort, backing up.

“Once we are on the field, we both will know who is the best,” I say smugly, and that makes Jake stop in his track to turn around.

“Let the best man win.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I apologize for the long wait for this chapter. However, I do plan on writing two chapters per week, and I do plan on updating as fast as I can. Thanks to the people who have subscribe, and I hope for future subscription.