Status: Completed 07.07.12

I Won't See You Tonight

The Hard Times Pass Like the Good Ones Do

A smile gracing my lips, I rolled over as I heard the pitter-patter of bare feet across my bedroom floor, and was met by pools of chocolately brown, and a pout that could bend the will of even the hardest of souls. Oh, how she took after her father.

“Mommy, you said we could wake up early to pick flowers and watch the sunrise!”

“I know sweetie. Why don’t you go get dressed, and I’ll get us a basket to put the flowers in.”

She quickly bolted from my bedroom, singing rhymes that were impossible to decipher. Dragging myself out of bed, I pulled out a sundress, changing quickly, grabbed a wicker basket, and walked downstairs to find my 5 year old waiting impatiently by the back door of our cottage.

“Let’s go mommy!” she cried, as she ripped open the back door, and rushed out into the meadow of wildflowers. As she danced amongst the flowers, I couldn’t help but notice how similar she was to her father. While her hair was the color of mine when I was a child, her vibrant eyes and little button nose were identical to her father’s. She also went about with same grace and confidence he always seemed to radiate.

It never ceased to amaze me that her father chose me. I was quite and shy, as reserved as they come, where as he was stealthy, cocky, and overconfident. Evidentally my suspicions did not go to waste, considering he left me days after our daughter was born, and hasn’t showed his face in nearly 5 years.

I was broken from my thoughts when I heard my daughter calling, “Momma, come here! The sunrise is about to start!”

“I’m coming Gloria!” I made my way over to the swing I had set up on top of the hill leading into the meadow, and pulled my daughter into my lap as the sun broke over the hill side. Then, I began to sing Gloria’s favorite song:

A lonely road, crossed another cold state line
Miles away from those I love, purpose hard to find
While I recall all the words you spoke to me
Can't help but wish that I was there
Back where I'd love to be.


Dear God, the only thing I ask of you is
to hold her when I'm not around
when I'm much too far away
We all need that person who can be true to you
But I left her when I found her
And now I wish I'd stayed
'Cause I'm lonely and I'm tired
I'm missing you again,
Once again.


Some search, never finding a way
Before long, they waste away
I found you, something told me to stay
I gave in, to selfish ways
And how I miss someone to hold
when hope begins to fade...


A lonely road, crossed another cold state line
Miles away from those I love purpose hard to fine…


“Momma…”

“Yes baby?”

“Will you sing me the song you sing when you play guitar? You never ever sing it for me,” she pouted. Her adorableness will be the death of me.

It's written on our palms and it's written on our hearts
It's written in our songs and it's written in the stars
Sometimes all we can do is stand up tall
They're standing in line just to watch us fall


Wooooah,
We can't forget these are the days…


“I like that song Momma. Why you never sing it more?”

“That was Mommy and Daddy’s song honey. It hurts mommy to sing it.”

“You should sing it more. It’s pretty.”

“Why don’t we go pick some flowers, and then we can go make some blueberry pancakes with the berries we picked yesterday?”, I replied, desperate for a conversation change.

“Let’s go Mommy!”

**Later That Night**

After putting Gloria down to sleep, I was sitting in the living room of our cottage, playing guitar. I picked it up from Gloria’s father, who was a born natural. I never realized when I learned it how much I’d rely on it to get me through these past five years.

Grabbing my glass of ice tea off the counter, I checked Gloria’s room once more to make sure she had fallen asleep, and then began to play that forbidden song again.

As I began to strum the second chorus, I heard him singing in my head his lines, which he always delivered with such passion toward me. I never would have guessed it was all an act. Tears dripped down my face as I finished the song, thinking back on all the memories the two of us had shared.

Throwing back the rest of my iced tea, I made my way to my room, changed into my pajamas, and climbed into bed, falling asleep to his melodic voice, singing in my head.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is my first story ever, so don't be too hard on me.

I know there's no Avenged in it yet, but they're coming, I promise.

Let me know what you think, if you think I should keep going.

**Song Credits:
Dear God by Avenged Sevenfold
These Are The Days by Sugarland