Status: Completed 07.07.12

I Won't See You Tonight

Never Cared For What They Do

"Can we talk about everything that happened, and everything that is about to?" I asked Brian quietly, hoping he could put everything in perspective. I still had no clue what was coming after us, and as scared as I was to find out the truth, I needed to know. He sighed, starring at the floor for a few seconds before turning to look at me.

"Where do you want to begin?"

"Start with the reason you left," I answered, climbing further onto the bed, and smiling slightly, encouraging him to begin. Brian stared at the picture frames littering his dresser, before he turned to me.

"I didn't want to leave. It was the last thing in the world I wanted, but I was needed here. I was ordered by my father to come back, and I couldn't say no. When I got back, he chastised me for getting involved with you, and told me I had to choose one of the goddesses to be my wife, and move on. But I couldn't, I didn't have a heart to give them, because I had left mine in your care. I had been close to James for a long time, and I knew if anyone could help me, it would be him. Nearly every day, I sat in his office, looking through books, trying to find a way to immortalize you. I searched for nearly two years, read more books than I could count, and I came up empty handed. It's near impossible to make a human immortal. After my research failed, I made the decision to give up my immortality, because it meant nothing without you and Gloria. I didn't want it if I couldn't have you.

"Two days before I was going to make the trek to give up my immortality, my brother went on a rampage in the town center, killing the upwards of 50 gods. He was exiled. My plan was completely shot after that. I knew that since I was apart of the coven, I would not be granted mortality, because there was no other heir to take my place. I was trapped, all thanks to my brother's rage-filled decision.

"Matthius never knew that I had a child. Most people didn't. I had planned on keeping it that way, until my father spilled the news. Because of his decisions, he has become a disgrace, one most people wouldn't dare associate with-especially women. When he found out I had successful created a child with a mortal, he grew envious and began a plot to steal you from me and create an heir. That's why I have brought you here. Not only can my friends and I protect you, since he is an outcast, the guards are required to help keep him out of the city.

"Never, did I ever think I would be the one to put you in such grave danger. I vowed to be the one to protect you, yet I've put you in harms way. But I swear to you, I will do whatever it takes to keep both you and Gloria safe. Nothing will happen to you while you're in my care, I promise," he finished, pulling me into his arms and cradling me to his chest. In that moment, I knew every word he spoke was the truth. Nothing would happen to us while we were with him. I had full confidence in him.

After a few minutes of silence, Brian spoke again, softer than before.

"I don't know how convinced you are of the fact I'm still in love with you. I know it's hard to believe after I was forced away for four years. But hopefully this will help convince you." Before I could speak, he slid off the bed, and walked to his closet, pulling out a small wooden box, and returning to my side. He gingerly placed the box in my lap, and kissed my cheek, before motioning towards the box and whispering a quiet "Open it".

I hesitantly opened the lid, and was met with a large stack of photographs, each one taken of us. After flipping through them, I returned my gaze the box, seeing it filled with notes I had written him, odd drawings I had made and probably had thrown out, and endless sheets of tabs and lyrics we had written together. I couldn't help the tears that threatened to fall as I looked back at Brian. I threw my arms around his neck and buried my face into his shirt, as tears dripped down my face. Brian pulled away, and held my face in his hands, brushing my tears away as they leaked down my face. He smiled, and told me there was one more thing for me in the box. Curious, I shifted the papers around until I came across a sleek black box. I pulled it out, starring at Brian with a wary look on my face. He simply grinned as I pulled the lid of the box, and gasped at the contents.

Inside were a set of dog tags, identical to the pair I always stole from him years ago. On the smaller of the two tags was Gloria's full name, and on the back, her date of birth. On the bigger tag, was Brian's and my initials. As I flipped the tag over, I couldn't help as new tears formed in my eyes at the simple passage he had engraved in the back. A simple passage that meant the world to us.

Trust I seek, and I find in you...

I looked up as I saw Brian moving, and watched as he pulled a set of worn dog tags out from underneath his shirt, and took them off, placing them in my hand for me to examine.

"They're identical. I remembered how you loved the set I had before Gloria was born, and after she was, I had these made. I left before I got the chance to give them to you. But I have worn mine every day since I left, so I always had a piece of you both near my heart. Now you can have the same. We'll always be close, no matter how far we are." I took my set, and slipped it over my head, admiring it for a second, before taking Brian's set, placing it around his neck. He leaned down to rest his forehead against mine, making our dog tags jingle against one another. I leaned up to place a kiss on his lips, and then his cheek, whispering my thank you in his ear.

After a few minutes, he suggested we should turn in for the night, and we both climbed under his covers, as he pulled me into his chest, kissing my forehead and whispering a quiet "good night sweetheart", before we both fell into a peaceful slumber.
♠ ♠ ♠
As you can tell, I flipping love Nothing Else Matters. That song is the basis for this story though, therefore why it's mentioned in almost every chapter.

A big thank you to MoMo_92 and VeeX6661 for commenting on the last chapter. I greatly appreciate it. <3