Status: Completed 07.07.12

I Won't See You Tonight

The End of the Line

As soon as the words left my mouth, I knew there was no going back. But there wasn't any other way. Chances were, after Matthius was gone, I wouldn't be able to stay here with Brian. And looking at Val cradling her children, calming them despite her fear, looking at Matt, crumpled on the ground in fear, I knew I could never separate them. My family was already destined for separation. I knew once I was out of the picture, Brian would be forced to find a wife, who could give him the son he needed. She could protect herself here, without having to be under his watchful eye. And I knew until then, Matt and Val would help Brian with Gloria. I wasn't needed, this wasn't my place.

I looked to Matthius, and found him staring gloatingly at Brian, who's face held nothing more than pain and agony. I cleared my throat, hoping to gain Matthius' attention.

"I will go with you, without a fight, on two conditions. First, we leave immediately. You've caused enough damage here. Secondly, I would like to say goodbye to my daughter before I leave," I spoke quietly, my voice worn. Matthius simply nodded, gesturing to Val to come forward with Gloria. Val gently pushed her towards me as tears filled her eyes. I knelt as Gloria ran towards me, and wrapped her in my arms, for what I knew would be the last time. As soon as her tiny arms wrapped around my neck, she started sobbing.

"Mommy, you can't go! Y-You can't l-leave me!" she sobbed in my arms, as I rubbed her back, feeling my own tears begin to form.

"I have to baby girl. Mommy doesn't want to, but she has to, okay? You're gonna stay here, with Daddy, and he'll protect you," I looked to Brian as I spoke, to see he was now crumpled on the ground, much like Matt. He was clutching onto James' arm as tears glistened down his cheeks, his face twisted into pure agony. Gloria kept sobbing, repeating "no Mommy no" over and over. My heart broke as my gaze flickered between the two people I loved more than the entire world.

"I'm sorry baby. I love you, so so much Gloria. Never forget that. You'll always be my baby girl. I love you sweetie," I waved Val over, and with one last longing hug, and a kiss to her forehead, I handed my daughter back to Val. As she kicked and screamed, Val set her next to her son, who wrapped Gloria in a hug in an attempt to sooth her. Val walked to me, and wrapped me in a hug, which I graciously returned.

"You're brave Samantha. So fucking brave. I would never have the courage to do what you've just done, and I will never be able to thank you enough for sparring my family. But I promise, Matt and I will look after Brian and Gloria in your place. Rest assured, they will be cared for. Be safe hun," she whispered in my ear, and then released me. She gathered Gloria into her arms, took her daughter's hand, and led them down the cliff to join Matt.

Feeling empty, for the first time since Brian first left, I wrapped my arms around myself, looking to Matthius in hopes of leaving. He nodded his head, and began whispering to the men behind them. As I gave one last look to the landing below the cliff, I noticed James and Brian were both missing. My eyes searched for them, praying that I could see them one more time before I left, before I heard a loud crash.

I looked behind me, to see Brian lung towards Matthius, and wrestle him to the ground. I screamed, and ran towards James' open arms, too afraid to watch. I buried my face in James' neck, as I heard someone's groans of pain, and prayed like hell they weren't from Brian.

I heard a sickening crack, and buried my face deeper into James' neck, but couldn't find comfort. I wasn't in Brian's arms.

I listened intently for Brian's voice, as the two shuffled around, but couldn't distinguish his groans from his brother's. I heard another sickening crack, and a thud, as a body fell to the ground. Afraid, I peeked through my fingers, to find Matthius lying in the dirt, barely moving, as Brian hovered over him, a dagger in his hand.

Without another word, he plunged it into Matthius' chest. Matthius' let out a piercing scream, and I turned my gaze below the cliff, grateful Matt and Val had left with their children and Gloria. I didn't want to witness this, let alone young children.

Matthius' scream suddenly stopped, and I looked over to find Brian had not only stabbed him, but cut out his heart. I looked to James in fear, a questioning look across my face.

"The only way to kill a god is to cut out his heart with a dagger, dipped in a poison. Only members of the coven are allowed to carry it," he spoke quietly as I turned in his arms to face him fully, not wanting to witness anymore of the killing. James noticed, and hoisted me in his arms. Those remaining down below began to make their way up the hill, as we decended. I hugged each of them in silent thanks, before James set me on his back, wrapping my arms around his neck.

It was in that moment, I realized I was safe. Matthius was dead. No one was out to find me. Brian had killed him, had risked his life to rescue me, and I would see him again. Most importantly, I would see Gloria again. I couldn't help the smile that crossed my face. I wasn't being taken hostage by a crazy psycho god. I was going home, with the people I loved.

James took me back to his house, setting me down in the foyer. I opened my mouth to speak, but he cut me off with a smile.

"Gloria is up in Brian's room here. As you go up the stairs, it's the first room on the left. I'll send him up once he gets back," he smile widened, and I threw my arms around him.

"Thank you so much James, for everything you've done for me and my family. I cannot thank you enough." Tears filled my eyes again as I spoke. I was still in shock that I was safe.

"Anything for you and Brian. Now go get your daughter." I ran up the stairs and into the room, tears rolling down my cheeks as I took in my daughter's laying body. She was still sniffling, so I knew she was awake. I sat on the edge of the bed, and ran my fingers through her hair, reveling in the simplicity of it. She looked up, and her eyes widened, before she threw her arms around my neck.

"Mommy you're back!!" she screamed and she tightened her arms around me neck. I buried my face in her hair. I didn't know how I was suppose to say goodbye to her ever again after today. I didn't think I'd be capable of doing it.

I pulled her into my lap, and did the only thing I knew would sooth her instantly: I sang.

I'm caught in a hurricane
I'm leaving here dead or alive
And I know that I'd be willing to feel the pain
If it got me to the other side
Cause I only hurt
Oh, hurricane
Yeah I can feel it hurt
Oh, hurricane...


I jumped slightly as a hand touched my shoulder. I lifted my gaze and was met by smoldering brown orbs, still rimmed red from tears. I slid Gloria from my lap, and was immediately pulled into his tight embrace. He crashed his lips to mine, and kissed me hard for a few seconds, before resting his forehead against mine.

"I was so fucking scared, I thought I lost you forever. I thought I had let you down, that I'd never get to see your beautiful face ever again, or hear you sing, or watch you play with our daughter. I thought you were gone." Brian pulled me tighter into his chest, practically crushing me. The emptiness I had felt not even an hour ago had vanished.

"I'm here Bri. You saved me. I'm here because of you. I can't believe you put your life on the line for me." His hand came and cupped my face, our eyes meeting.

"I promised you I would do anything to protect you, and I meant every fucking word. You're my life Sam. Without you, my life means nothing. It might sound cheesy and cliche, but it's true. I love you so much." He pulled me back into his chest, and I kissed the open patch of skin, right near his heart.

"I love you too Bri."

I released my arms from around Brian, and walked to his dresser, pulling out one of his shirts and a pair of boxers, and ran to the adjacent bathroom. After washing my face to rid of my smeared makeup and tear stains, I changed into Brian's clothes and walked back into the bedroom. There was space in between where Gloria and Brian laid, and I crawled up in between them, wrapping my arm around Gloria and pulling her into my chest. I felt Brian do the same, and place a kiss on my forehead, tightening his arm around mine and Gloria's body.

Almost immediately, I fell into a deep sleep, feeling happier and more secure than I had felt in my entire life.
♠ ♠ ♠
Don't hate me, I can't do fight scenes or drama.

There's only two more chapters left! Then I think I'm going to take a mini break, and brainstorm and prewrite a bit of a new story! But it's official, I will be back. :)

Thank you guys!

xx

*Title Credit: The End of the Line by Metallica
Song Credit: Hurricane by Theory of a Deadman