Status: Completed 07.07.12

I Won't See You Tonight

A Little Piece of Heaven

After another near sleepless night, I slowly dragged myself out of bed and into the kitchen to fix myself a cup of coffee. I made my way out to our patio and situated myself on a swing, Metallica playing softly in the background.

As I overlooked the meadow of wildflowers, I thought back to my first time we stumbled upon the landscape, and quickly fell in love.

I ran up the hill as quickly as my legs would take me in my giggling state, as he chased after me.

”Sammy, you can’t run away forever! I will catch you!” he called after me, laughing nearly as hard as I was. I screamed, kicking my legs, as his arms snaked around my waist and lifted my high in the air, and threw me over his shoulder.

”Put me down, put me down, put me down!” I chanted, holding onto his shoulders for dear life as he continued racing up the hill. As we reached the top, he came to an abrupt halt, uttering a nearly silent, “Holy shit…”

”What is it Bri?” I questioned, as he slowly placed my feet on the ground, and turned my attention behind me. “Oh my god…” was all I could manage, as we took in the beauty of the meadow surrounding us. Lining the outskirts of the property stood large weeping willows, and the meadow was filled with wildflowers of all color and shade. In the center of the property stood a small cottage, adorned with flowing vines, like something out of a fairy tale.

”Do you want to go check it out?” he asked, looking down at me. I simply shook my head yes, and he placed his hand on the small of my back and led us towards the magnificent structure. After knocking on the door, to no avail, he quietly pushed open the door and ushered us inside, which was seemingly designed to match the land it was built on. The floors were all made of wood, as was much of the furniture. On almost every flat surface stood a vase filled with wildflowers that, despite their droopiness, still looked as though they were arranged with extremely precision and thought.

We passed from room to room nearly silent, the only noise that filled the room was the sound of our shoes shuffling against the hardwood floors. As we made our way to the kitchen, propped up against a crystal vase was a folded piece of paper. Almost reluctantly, he reacted out to grab it, and read aloud:

”This cottage has been designed for all those living in it to remember the little things in life, like the way the wind blows through the trees, or the beauty of a sunset, or the majesty of a clear sky at night. Cherish it well.

Folding up the note, we slowly walked through to the patio as the sun slowly began to set behind the hills, framed by the weeping willows hanging over the meadow. As Brian wrapped his arms around my waist, I breathed in deeply, reveling both in the aroma of the outdoors, and the intoxicating mixture of his cologne and cigarettes.

This is home…

I was quickly pulled out my daydreaming by the glittering sound of my daughters giggles.

“What’s so funny?” I asked, as I reached for her and placed her in my lap.

“I called for you like five times Mommy, and you never answer me!” Gloria continued to giggle. I laughed along with her. “Sorry sweetie, mommy was just thinking.”

“Mommy sing?”

“What do you want me to sing?”

“Dis song!” she exclaimed, pointed towards the speaker as Of Wolf and Man blasted from the speakers I could tell she had turned up.

Off through the new day's mist I run
Out from the new day's mist I have come
We shift
Pulsing with the earth
Company we keep
Roaming the land while you sleep


(shape shift) Nose to the wind
(shape shift) Feeling I've been
(move swift) All senses clean
(earth's gift) Back to the meaning, Back to the meaning of life
♠ ♠ ♠
It's a little better. There's at least some Brian in there, even if it's only in her memory.

He's coming, I promise.

Let me know what you think!

*Title Credit-Avenged Sevenfold
*Song Credit-Of Wolf and Man by Metallica