Status: Completed 07.07.12

I Won't See You Tonight

So Close, No Matter How Far

We drove on for what seemed like hours, but as I looked at the clock, realized it had only been about forty minutes since we had left home. Sighing, I leaned my head against the passenger window, willing sleep to take me over.

What seemed like minutes later, I woke up from my light sleep, feeling no more refreshed than before. I looked to Brian, to find he still had the same hard expression as when we left the house.

"How much longer until we get there?" I croaked out, my voice tight with leftover fear and sleepiness.

"About a half an hour," he said, never taking his eyes off the road. Shuffling in my arms caused me to look down to our daughter, who looked like she was finally ready to wake up. After a few moments, Gloria's eyes opened, and widened as she noticed we were in the truck.

"What's goin' on Momma?" she asked, still sounding tired.

"You, me and Daddy are going to stay at his house for awhile. Just for a little bit, okay?" I answered, trying to keep my voice as even as possible, so she wouldn't detect my fear. She simply nodded, and curled back into my arms, resting her head on my chest and closing her eyes.

After nearly twenty minutes, we began to approach a gate, at which Brian stopped and turned off the car. He turned to me, taking Gloria out of my hands, and ordering me to get out and stay as close to his side. We quickly got out and he came to my side, carrying Gloria in his left arm, and wrapping his right one around my waist, pulling me close. We approached the man standing by the gate, who I noticed looked extremely familiar.

"Brian, it's good to see you! Thought you said you'd be gone for a few weeks?" As we came closer to the figure, I recognized him to be Matt, another god, and one of Brian's best friends.

"I thought so too, but things have changed. Do you have a minute to talk?" Brian answered.

"Yeah, of course." Matt turned around, and led us through the gate to a magnificent house, constructed of pearly marble. He led us through a maze of rooms, until we reached what looked like a conference room, with a large, ornate table taking up much of the space.

"Is Valary around to watch Gloria while we talk?" Brian asked Matt, looking noticably calmer now that we had entered the house. Matt called for Valary, who instructed Brian she was taking her to the garden, and parted nearly as quickly as she entered, our little girl in tow. Matt sat at the head of the table, Brian following suit and dragging me next to him.

"So what do you want to talk about man?" Matt began, looking at Brian.

"I came home today to talk to my father, and tell him my plan to stay with Sam and Gloria for a few weeks. It was in this time, my father told me my brother found out about Sam carrying my daughter through the full term, and is jealous. And you know how he gets when he's jealous, he's ruthless. Therefore, I've brought Sam and Gloria here with me, they're safer here. But I need your help to keep them safe. I need everyone's help." The grip he had around my waist tightened. "Gloria I'm not worried about, he'd never touch her. But I can't lose Sam to any other man, let alone my brother. I'll do whatever it takes to keep her safe." Any doubts I had of Brian's confession of love were thrown out the window with that simple statement.

"Of course. We're family. If she means that much to you, we'll gladly help protect her. Take her and the little one and get settled. I'll go tell everyone what's going on, and we'll all be over tomorrow morning to talk." Matt answered without a second thought. Brian stood and gave Matt a man-hug, and after Matt turned to me and gave me a light hug and whispered in my ear, "Welcome to the family Samantha".

Brian placed his hand on the small of my back, and led me through the house to the garden, where we thanked Val, grabbed Gloria and made our way back to the truck. As we listened to Gloria ramble on about the bunny she had seen in the garden, we approached a house nearly identical to Matt's, but this one was constructed of much darker marble. Brian pulled through the gate, and parked the car in front of the door. I wrapped Gloria into my arms and slid out of the truck as Brian hopped out and grabbed mine and Gloria's suitcases. He led the way into the house, and up a spiraling marble staircase, into a room with deep purple walls, accented with purple and lime green decorations.

"Here's your room baby girl," Brian spoke quietly, setting our suitcases on the floor. "I hope you like it," he smiled weakly as Gloria ran around admiring every detail of her new room. Brian walked up behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist and rested his head in the crook of my neck, sighing deeply. I reached back to run my hand through his hair, hoping to calm him, even though I was barely keeping it together.

After a few minutes, I told Gloria is was time to go to bed, since it had been such a long day. Since she was still in her sweatpants from her nap, I just tucked her into her new bed, and kissed her head, Brian following suit. After we said our final goodnights, Brian picked up my suitcase and grabbed my hand, pulling me down the hall and into the next bedroom. It was painted a soothing cream color, but accented with vibrant reds and purples. He knew us too well.

"This is your room. I didn't think you'd be comfortable staying with me just yet. I designed it myself, about a month after I had left, using you as my inspiration. So I hope you like it."

"I love it. It's perfect." I wrapped my arms around his waist, and kissed his cheek. Brian smiled, and wrapped his arm around my waist, guiding me further down the hallway, into another bedroom.

"This is my room, if you or Gloria ever need anything during the night. Lastly, you need these," he said, sifting through his drawer until he pulled out a small box, and offered it to me. I took it, gingerly opening it to find a gold key, and a beautiful golden heart, with purple stones embedded in the pendant. Brian moved my hair to one side, and reached into the box, pulling out the pendant, and clasping it around my neck.

"The key is a universal key to the house. Certain doors in the house can only be entered by use of the key. Keep it on you at all times in case of an emergency. And this," she spoke, touching the pendant, "is proof that you have been granted permission to be on Mount Vergina. It bears my color, so everyone will know you are with me. Every time you leave the house, you must wear this necklace. If you don't, you can be removed, thus putting you in danger. Wear it at all times." I nodded my head, and he sighed, walking over to the bed laying down with his face buried in his pillows. I made my way over to the bed, and sat beside him, reaching up to run my hand through his hair again. Every time he'd get stressed, I use to run my hand through his hair, and it would calm him almost instantly. I hoped it still had the same effect.

After a few minutes, Brian rolled over to lay on his back, and pulled me down in a laying position, and into his arms. He rested his cheek on the top of my head, and ran a soothing hand up and down my back, lulling me to sleep.

Before I blacked out, I placed my hand on Brian's cheek.

"Thank you for everything you've done for us today Bri. I'd don't know what I'd have done without you," I told him sincerely, still not believing how much he'd done for us after only returning mere hours ago.

"I will do everything in my power to protect you Sam. Nothing is going to happen to you or Gloria. Ever. I give you my word," he spoke quietly, but with a hint of determination.

"I know Bri," I curled closer to his body, and let sleep finally take over.

Trust I seek, and I find in you...
♠ ♠ ♠
I hate being the person who begs for comments, but the only person who has commented on the past couple chapters is gothique4, and that kind of worries me.

So if you'd take two seconds, and let me know if I should continue this story, I'd really appreciate it.

I don't want to keep writing a story no one wants to read or cares about.

I also added a character page, if you'd like to see what I envision Sam and Gloria to look like.

**Title and Song Credit: Nothing Else Matters by Metallica