Status: active

We'll Fall in Love After Midnight

n i n e t e e n.

The first week of December came in a blink of an eye and that meant Mike would be home in a little less than two weeks. I kept myself occupied with trying to work, going to parties, and hanging out with my friends; typical. I didn't find myself as upset with Mike being gone with all the distractions.

Tino had called to invite me to his house to watch the football game. I was going to say no since I didn't care much for sports but I missed my friends, even though Austin would be there. Tino promised Austin would be on his best behavior and wouldn't cause drama. I gave in and couldn't wait to go. I felt awkward with the fact Mike and Austin share a lot of the same friends, so I always felt like they all thought I was a whore.

I showed up around noon and rang the doorbell. I pulled my hoodie closer to my body and cursed under my breath for not wearing an actual jacket. Alan answered the door and smiled, "well look who it is!" He pulled me into a tight hug.

"Hello to you too, gingy," I smiled and kissed his cheek.

I followed him to the living room where I could hear all the guys talking and drinking. A hint of weed filled the air, too. Everyone yelled my name in excitement and insisted on me hugging each of them. Austin and I exchanged small smiles and nothing more. Phil insisted I sat next to him; between him and Austin. I gave him a fake smile and did so. I could feel Austin tense up every time I answered a question about Mike that Phil asked me. It was great that he was so mad about me being in a relationship when it was his fault.

Austin got up at a commercial break and didn't come back. I forgot he left the area when I went to the bathroom. He was in the kitchen when I walked back through. He was leaning against the counter staring at his phone like always. I couldn't help but check him out. He looked good, a lot better from when I had last seen him. I opened the fridge to grab a water and he finally noticed me.

"Why did you come here?" He asked.

I closed the fridge and leaned against the island opposite him, "because my friend invited me?"

"You know how I feel about being around you."

"Um, that's not my problem, Austin. You need to get over it and move the fuck on," I glared.

"Oh sorry, I'm not a whore who just moves on right away," he looked back down at his phone.

I knocked his phone out of his hand, hearing it hit hard against the tile floor, "oh, I'm a whore? You're the one that was fucking another bitch!"

Austin reached down and picked up his cracked iPhone, "you stupid bitch, you're buying me a new one!"

"Buy you a new one just like everything else I fucking bought you!?" I yelled in his face.

Tino and Jaxin walked into the kitchen. "Hey, what's going on in here?" Tino asked.

"Um, this psycho bitch just broke my new phone," Austin held up his phone.

"He's the one starting shit!" I yelled in my defense.

"Both of you just fucking stop!" Tino yelled over us. We both stopped yelling. "You guys are ridiculous. Austin, just grow up and realize shit happened. Maci is my friend and so is her boyfriend, so saying shit about the both of them hurts my feelings. Its not always about you."

I started laughing to myself because of how true his words were. Austin shot a glare at me which made me stop laughing. Tino and Jaxin left the kitchen to join the others.

"I guess hes right," he said in a normal voice.

"Of course he is," I said. "I'll buy you a new phone tomorrow. Don't you have insurance?"

He chuckled, "Maci, I can't afford insurance for my body let alone a fucking phone."

I laughed and hugged him. I don't know why I did, I just did it. I think it shocked him at first because it took him a minute to hug me back. Feeling his arms around me always felt right, and that irked me. He intertwined his fingers on the small of my back as I leaned away from him. I bit back a smile as I looked up at him. What was happening? Five minutes ago I was about to slap the asshole and now all of a sudden I'm under his magic charm.

-

Mike didn't answer his phone or texts all morning which was unlike him. I ignored it and went to go pick Austin up from Alan's. It felt like deja vu having him in my car again and singing along to the songs on shuffle. He decided since I was buying him a new phone that he should buy me lunch. While I was driving to find us a place to eat at, Mike decided to call.

"Be quiet, Mikes calling," I said to Austin who was singing. "Hello?"

"Hey...who's singing?" Mike asked.

"Shut up," I said hitting him, causing him to let out a yell. "Are you there?"

"Maci, why are you with him right now?" He sounded mad.

"Its a long story."

"Oh, I have time. Why are you with him right now?" He sounded even more mad.

"Because we got in a fight at Tino's house yesterday in which I broke his new phone, so I decided to be nice and buy him a new one."

"Nothing else going on?" He asked.

"No, Mike, nothing is going on. We're going to go have lunch then I'm going to my friend's birthday party tonight," I told him truthfully. We talked for a few more minutes until I pulled up outside the place we were eating at.

"I'm sorry if I just caused a fight," Austin said after I hung up.

I shook my head, "no, you didn't."

Austin cupped the left side of my face, stroking his thumb over my bare cheek, "you'd tell me if he hurt you right?"

"Yes," I looked into his eyes. The urge to kiss him came over me but I stopped myself and pulled my face away from his hand.

"Sorry," he whispered and unbuckled his seat belt.

We were both being flirty and playing footsy under the table during lunch. I don't know what came over me. Maybe it was from not being around a romantic interest in a few weeks even though I have a boyfriend. i felt guilty hanging out with Austin even though Mike knew it was harmless. It didn't feel harmless, it felt sabotaging to what I had going on with Mike. I just wanted to take Austin home and wait for Mike to come back to California.