Status: active

We'll Fall in Love After Midnight

f o r t y f o u r.

We sat down on the couch. Tino was silent and held my hand while he tried to find the words. I felt myself getting sick from nerves. I was scared to hear what he had to say.

"What happened?" My voice cracked.

"I was driving behind their car after we left the club. The light turned green Tom went through it but a drunk driver ran the red light and made Tom's truck rolled over.." He trailed off and looked at his lap.

"Where's Austin? Please tell me he's okay," I started crying.

"He's in surgery right now. I don't know everything right now, I just ran out of my car and up to the truck. Austin was screaming for help and I leaned down to talk to him, he grabbed at my shirt but I knew I couldn't touch him."

I cried into my hands and just wanted to hold him. The thought of Austin not being alive flashed through my head, making me cry even more. My baby kicked around lightly the harder I cried. I knew I had to be strong for the both of us.

Tino drove me to the hospital where he was at. I wasn't able to see Austin because he was still in surgery. A few of his friends were in the waiting room when we got there. I recognized them but couldn't remember their names off the top of my head from crying. My head was foggy as I tried to get in contact with Austin's dad. Tino did the talking for me since I could barely say hello.

-

After five hours of waiting a doctor finally came to me and Tino. He explained everything to us on what happened to Austin. His left shoulder and arm were broken and had a couple broken ribs. The doctor explained to us he was lucky from how he was sitting in the car because most people aren't so lucky. He told us the room number and let us go back.

Austin was laying in the bed with his eyes opening and closing quickly. His neck was in a white brace while a black cast went from his hand to above his elbow. I knew he'd feel anxious from not being able to move his arm freely.

"Hi baby," I said softly when I approached the bed.

His eyes blinked a few times before shifting to see me, "Mace?"

"Yeah baby, it's me." I leaned down and kissed his forehead.

His head had stitches and dried blood on it making me shiver. Now that I was next to him I saw that a brace was under his hospital gown that was wrapped around his shoulder area. I could see the bruises coming out from under the casts and braces.

"I feel like shit," he said from a dry voice.

"Your doctor said they just gave you more medication. It should kick in in a minute or two," I kissed his head again.

Tino left us alone and left to check on Tim. I sat on the edge of his bed and held his free hand making sure not to bump the IVs. The morphine kicked in making him fall asleep. I refused to leave his side because I know he wouldn't leave mine.

-

Austin was fully conscience around noon. I was on the phone with his dad when he finally woke up from the early morning. I hung up with his dad and walked over to the bed.

"Good afternoon sleepy head," I smiled and sat down on the edge of the bed.

"Hey," he smiled, "What time is it?"

"It's about 12:15. You've been out all morning."

"This sucks so fucking much," he sighed.

"At least you're alive," I ran my hand through his hair. "Tom is down the hall recovering. He's doing good though, I went and saw him."

A nurse came in a couple minutes later and was happy to see him awake. She filled him in on what injuries and surgery was done on him earlier. He kept his free hand on my tummy while she talked, rubbing it lightly. She left the room to go get him some lunch and more medication.

"You should eat something too," he said.

"Alan is bringing me food. He's been up here hanging out with me all morning."

"How'd you even know I was in an accident?" He kept rubbing my tummy.

"Tino called me a million times and woke me up. I was so scared Austin, like I just broke down. I couldn't stop thinking of the worst," I shook my head. "I don't know what I'd do if I lost you."

"You two were all I thought of as soon as the car hit us. I remember seeing Tino for a minute and then I don't know what happened after that. I thought I was honestly going to die in the street."

Alan walked in with Jimmy Johns bags, "Oh shit, you're up! What's up buddy?"

Austin stared at him and then back at me without responding to him. I kissed his lips and got off the bed to eat. The three of us made small talk while Austin received more medication and was given green jello. This felt like a flashback to when he had his heart surgery and was in that car accident when we were broken up. This was just going to be a long couple of frustrated months while he recovered but I was used to it this time around. I just hoped he'd be well enough by the time I give birth.