The Perks of Loving a Wild Thing.

one/one.

Harriet was sixteen, an age where you felt invincible to the world and where love was possible. Her mother was arranged to marry a very stern man that never smiled. He was in the Australian Navy and Harriet's mother was so very scared that she'd open the door to the Navy officers that would announce her husband's death.
Harriet's mother grew to love her husband, no matter how stern he was. However, he didn't seem to love her. Harriet thought he never liked her mother. But when she saw him one day in the kitchen when no one was around - he was holding her in his arms as he was kissing her cheek gently. Harriet knew then, that her father loved her mother.

Harriet fell in love when she saw a boy about her age in the local park. He was sitting on the dry grass with a cigarette between his lips. His dark hair was slicked back and parted where he had a cowlick. His jaw bone and cheekbones were high and sharp. His eyes were a light gray that made Harriet's knees weak. He was handsome with his tight jeans, combat boots and leather jacket.

"Hi," Harriet had said, sitting beside him on the grass.

He stared at her, intently while he put out his cigarette. She ignored his gaze as she smiled gently at the horizon.

"Do I know you, girl?" He had a rough edge to his deep voice, but Harriet liked it - it made her look back at him and into his eyes.

"No. But I would like to know you, if you don't mind." He had chuckled and she smiled.

From then, Harriet made a very special friend. They weren't a couple, but they never have been. They knew everything about one another. He knew about her parents, she knew about his. He knew about her past and what she planned on in the future and she knew his.

Harriet was always there for him. Everyday as the years passed she helped him out with advice and on one occasion to bail him out of jail.

Harriet was helplessly devoted to him - in love with him and his bad attitude.

And one night, when he broke up with his last long-term girlfriend - they slept together. She woke up in his arms and smiled, kissing his cheek. He had woken up with a start, eyes wide and pacing. He threw curse words at her and she threw them back at him. Harriet even told him that she loved him. That didn't go down well, he left.

He left here and that was that. Never contacted her; never saw her again.

He was a wild thing. Too wild. She knew that he never would love her. But she hoped - she held onto that little string of hope for twenty three years.

He would be forty-five by now, while she is forty-two.

Harriet isn't married to a wild thing, more like a tamed thing. He cares for her and loves her. She loves him too, but she would never love tamed thing like she does wild thing.
Tamed thing gave her two beautiful children - a boy and girl. Harriet could see that her young son would be a wild thing, too. He would break and make hearts.
♠ ♠ ♠
Feedback's nice.

:)