When Waves Meet the Sand

Chapter 13: Destined

Their journey across the desert had proved a challenge, mainly because Kana’s Seismic Sense did not work as clearly on the sand.

While Kumiko watched over their four young charges and Genma guarded a prisoner-laden Fubuki, Megumi was left with the task of leading a blind, irate Earthbender by the hand.

By the time the group had reached Sunagakure, Kana had personally threatened to shove rocks in particularly-uncomfortable orifices if the guards took any longer to take the prisoners and let them in.

After scolding the brunette for being so testy, Kumiko had managed to smooth things over and get them through the gate.

Megumi deduced it was her position as the Hokage’s daughter; keeping her out after she had already been given permission by the Kazekage would likely cause some sort of political upset.

A hotel room had been provided, one large enough to house all eight of them, and after dropping off their cargo, Kumiko had gone off to explore.

Perhaps Megumi was just being paranoid, but she did not like the idea of leaving her unprotected…

Fate decided to prove her wrong.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gaara felt something shift, almost imperceptible but powerful, like the beginnings of a sandstorm in the distant desert.

Turning away from the horizon to scan the streets below, he felt Shukaku uncurl in the back of his mind, having sensed the change and become curious.

That’s when he saw her.

She was walking down the street, face tilted skyward and arms crossed behind her back, long white hair loose and swaying with each step.

Unable to tear his eyes away, Gaara slowly relaxed, taking in her appearance more closely.

The girl was not from his village, though her hair color was proof enough of that; her light blue tank top and white cut-offs were not normal desert wear, not to mention the hitai-ite tied around her thigh, which held the spiral leaf symbol of Konoha instead of the hourglass engraving of Sunagakure.

Then she stopped and looked up at him, and Gaara was trapped.

Her eyes were the clearest, brightest blue he had ever seen, like an oasis at sunset.

For a few breathless moments, the emptiness was gone.

A sound caught her attention, and she turned her head in surprise to see what had caused it.

With the contact broken, Gaara was jolted back to reality and teleported into an alley to hide, heart stuttering along at breakneck speeds.

Confused by the strange feelings the Konoha kunoichi inspired in him, the Jinchuriki peered into the street.

She was scanning the rooftops, biting her lower lip, before a movement in another nearby alley drew her focus safely away from the conflicted demon of Suna.

Watching the wayward angel (because nothing else so untainted could possibly exist, not in this world), Gaara wondered why the old urge to crush her was not present.

He had never seen another being and not wanted to squeeze the life from their body to prove his existence.

Was it because, when he had looked into those eyes…

She already had?

“Oh, you poor baby…” She cooed softly, voice gentle and soothing like running water, and it immediately set Gaara at ease.

Crouched in front of the other alley, she extended a hand towards a creature he was unable to see from his vantage point, this beautiful little smile on her face.

“Come on, little one…I won’t hurt you…”

Very slowly, a skinny little cat inched out of hiding, favoring a hind leg and looking wary.

The fur was matted so thoroughly with sand that the feline seemed brown, and ribs were firmly pronounced from starvation.

Instead of pulling back when the tabby lashed out with sharp claws, like anyone else would when faced with outright aggression, the angel held her ground and reached forward.

The cat went still as her knuckles brushed against it’s cheek in a caress, gently stroking the dirty fur and gaunt face.

Sand shifted around Gaara’s feet anxiously, and he tensed, eyes riveted on the little threat for any sign of aggression.

If that cat hurt her…

With a purr, the tabby rubbed back, moving forward and into her arms like they had come to some sort of understanding.

Cradling the creature to her chest like a precious treasure, she stood up and scratched under it’s chin gently.

As she hummed an unfamiliar tune, the girl turned to head back the way she had come.

Letting out a sigh, the red-haired demon of Suna prepared to leave, resigned to the fact that this would likely be his only glimpse of the light…

Except she stopped after only a few steps, looking over her shoulder and staring straight at him with those bright oasis eyes.

She seemed to be peering through his soul, searching for something, and Gaara wondered what she would find.

Then she gave this dazzling little smile, like everything was alright now, and continued on her way without having to say a word.

Watching her go, Gaara was frozen in place, not knowing what to do.

Go on, boy.’ Shukaku urged without the usual bloodlust. ‘Don’t let her get away.

The sand in his gourd shifted, encouraging him, and Gaara was set in motion.

He would not let his angel get away.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pushing Fubuki’s inquisitive nose away, Kumiko cooed softly to ease the poor cat’s nerves while wrapping a towel around the shivering little body.

After a long bath, which was a challenge at the beginning, the tabby was revealed to have bright red fur instead of sandy brown, with wide green eyes and a white mouth, like he had just gotten into the cream.

The tabby made her think of…

Huffing, Fubuki pushed her nose towards the cat’s, and both animals went still, as if sizing up the situation.

Kumiko held her breath, not wanting to set either of them off since she was holding the cat and the Polar Bear Dog was likely to pounce if she was hurt.

The tension was broken when Fubuki licked the tabby’s nose in greeting, giving a purr-growl to show she was not going to cause harm.

A hesitant purr was given back, and the feline licked Fubuki’s nose in return.

Relaxing, Kumiko stood up from the bathroom floor, holding the tabby close as she walked into the main room.

There was a kitchenette attached, with a sink full of dishes from dinner, and the rest had a couch, coffee table, and a nicely-stocked bookshelf.

Once she placed the small cat on the smooth tile and left Fubuki to watch him, Kumiko went down the hallway again, passing the bathroom and stopping outside the first door on her left.

Opening the obstacle a crack, she peered in to see Genma sleeping soundly in bed, sprawled on his stomach and, thankfully, without a senbon in his mouth.

Closing the door soundlessly, the Waterbender went on to the next door, peeking inside to see both Megumi and Kana were also safe in bed, the latter snoring like a Sky Bison and the other with a pillow held firmly over her head.

Amused, Kumiko stepped away and opened the last door.

The two beds within were pushed together, and all four children were in a tangled mess on top, barely covered by the sheets.

Benjiro was sprawled on his back, with Tomoko using his stomach as a pillow while hugging her own like teddy bear, snoring louder than Kana.

Yei was curled up underneath Tomoko’s legs, while Rei was hanging dangerously off the bed, drooling an entire lake onto the sheets.

Smiling, the young Avatar slipped inside.

Retrieving blankets from the floor, she proceeded to cover each child with one, hoping to ward off the chill of a desert night.

Tomoko’s snores died down as a warm hand brushed against her forehead, and Rei’s open mouth was softly closed to prevent a thorough soaking by morning.

With her job done, Kumiko left them to sleep, returning to the semi-dry cat and the passive Polar Bear Dog in the main room.

Scooping up the skinny feline, she hummed soothingly to ease his jumpy nerves and sat on the couch.

Put at ease, the tabby purred and rubbed against her stomach, curling into a ball as Fubuki dropped down at her feet.

“What am I gonna call you?” Kumiko wondered aloud, scratching behind a shaggy red ear so the object of her musings purred more loudly.

Eyes half-lidded with exhaustion despite the moon’s fullness, her thoughts drifted to the strange boy on the rooftop…

“I think I’ll call you Tomo.” She stated, looking down at those wide green orbs that nearly matched the color of the ones in her mind’s eye. “Do you like it?”

The tabby shrugged his shoulders as if to say ‘whatever’, and Kumiko quirked an eyebrow, chuckling.

“Ah, the silent type, huh? I see how it is.”

Purring in an attempt to soothe her supposed ire, Tomo reached up to rub his head against her neck, tail flicking softly as if to apologize.

Fubuki huffed in amusement, rolling onto her side, one ear cocked conspicuously towards the window.

Understanding the signal, Kumiko looked out the window, where moonlight drifted through like sand through an hourglass.

“What do you think, Ki-chan?”

Lifting her head to follow her owner’s gaze, the canine made a nodding motion and levered herself up.

As she followed suit, the Waterbender placed Tomo on her shoulders, smiling brightly.

For some reason, Kumiko could not help but be excited.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gaara could not help but be confused.

He had never felt so strongly about anyone in years, and the only emotion that had ever come close was the hatred that had been born the night he killed Yashamaru.

It could not possibly be hatred, though; hatred burned through his blood and made Shukaku anxious, splitting his skull with migraine-inducing demands for blood.

This was calming, like meditation, and the sand raccoon was almost content, purring in the back of his container’s mind.

There was no logical explanation for it, just the deep sense of knowing that she was his.

The possibility alone made his heart pick up speed.

Could she really be his?

His own little angel?

Of course she is, boy.’ Shukaku voiced, making his presence known. ‘She’s ours, and nothing will ever change that.

Comforted, Gaara jerked slightly when he saw movement a few yards away.

There she was, as if his thoughts had conjured her into existence, sitting down at the edge of the roof.

A massive white canine settled behind her, flicking the red tabby with it’s tail when said feline batted at the appendage.

Even though the dog could likely swallow that poor cat without needing to chew, it allowed the smaller feline to climb onto it’s back with little more than a huff.

His angel only spared the animals a glance and a smile before turning back to the moon, hugging her knees close.

It was almost like she was waiting for someone…

“You can come over here, if you want.”

Gaara froze as her eyes turned towards him, surprised.

No one else had ever been able to catch him like this.

“I’m gonna be up all night, anyway.” She stated, voice gentle and soothing. “I wouldn’t mind some company.”

Gaara was deeply conflicted; he very much wanted to get closer, but there was a part of him, the sad little boy inside, that was afraid of rejection.

What are you waiting for, boy?’ Shukaku pressed, growing impatient. ‘Go!

Spurred into action, Gaara approached slowly, hesitant.

His angel was silent until he settled a couple of feet away on the ledge, watching her out of the corner of his eye.

Chin resting on her bent knees, she seemed completely relaxed, unthreatening.

“My name’s Kumiko.” She introduced herself, smiling. “But I prefer Mimi, no matter what Ebisu-baka says about it not being grown-up enough. What’s your name?”

Not having expected such obvious kindness, though he should have known after a few hours of surveillance that it was her nature, the demon of Suna faltered for a moment.

“…Gaara.”

As if sensing his unease, Kumiko pulled the focus of the conversation back on herself to take away any pressure.

“And this is Fubuki, my Polar Bear Dog.” She said, turning towards the large canine with a smile. “She’s my best friend, aren’t you Ki-chan?”

The canine lifted her upper body up with an affirmative growl, nuzzling into her girl’s chest before resting her head in Kumiko’s lap.

Gaara was curious now.

He had been under the impression that best friends were people that someone chose to devote large segments of time to, not a pet.

Kumiko seemed to read the question in his eyes, despite Gaara’s attempts to hide it.

She was more perceptive than he was used to.

“Best friends don’t have to be people, Gaara-kun.”

Said Jinchuriki’s heart leaped at the familiar suffix added to his name.

“Best friends are whoever you’re close with. There’s no rules about who you can be close with.”

Noticing his wide-eyed surprise, Kumiko frowned slightly in confusion.

“Gaara-kun?”

His heart jumped again, and he cursed it’s nervous antics.

Something must have shown in his eyes, because his angel seemed to realize what the problem was.

“Oh, gomen!” She apologized, cheeks reddening. “I-I didn’t mean to speak so familiarly and make you uncomfortable! I should have asked first, or-”

Struggling for words, Kumiko looked away, face burning, as the tabby mewed softly and rubbed against her stomach.

Gomen…I’m not very good at this…”

“…It’s alright.”

Gaara immediately wanted to backtrack, self-conscious, but those oasis eyes turned back towards him.

“Really?” She wondered, hopeful.

“Yes.” He replied softly, looking away in embarrassment. “I…I’m new to this, too.”

“Maybe…we could learn together?”

Gaara turned towards Kumiko, stunned.

Was she…?

Looking into her eyes, he realized that she was.

His heart did a flip, and the sad little boy inside smiled for the first time.

“I…would like that.”

Kumiko’s smile was warm and bright, shining light into Gaara’s dark world.

For once, he felt whole.
♠ ♠ ♠
Tomo-twin
Fubuki-blizzard