When Waves Meet the Sand

Chapter 16: Broken

Megumi stared blankly at the book sitting open on her lap, fingertips running softly over the words inked into the back cover by a Turtle Duck’s feather.

I will always be here when you need me, but never forget who you are. Your Uncle, Maro

Below it, next to what seemed like a drawing of the Lotus tile from Pai Sho, was ‘Happy Sixth Birthday, Oojo. Love you

Chest tightening, Megumi took a deep breath, bandaged hands curling into fists as the sunset splashed warm colors across the page.

‘Uncle…’

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kana lounged on the hotel bed, headband held loosely in one hand while a forearm was thrown tiredly over her blind eyes.

One leg flung over the edge, her toes tapped against the hard floor, making a picture buzz behind her lids.

It helped blocked out the images bubbling up from the vault in the back of her mind.

Be careful, sweetheart! You don’t want to hurt yourself!

That was good! Yer learnin’ fast!

Don’t be so hasty! Patience, little one.

Once, ‘ere were two lo’ers from warrin’ cities…

Never doubt yourself, sweetheart. You can‘t be the best without fighting for it.

I lo’e ya, sugar. Ne’er forget ‘at.

Ya need ta be stron’, ya ‘ear? Just keep goin’, an’ don’t look back.

Run!

KANA!

Teeth clenched, forearm pressed firmly against her closed eyes, Kana felt her heart batter itself against her ribcage like a raging Badgermole.

The creak of the plate in her hitai-ite brought the Earthbender back to her senses, and she unclenched her fingers slowly, rubbing a thumb over the abused metal.

Kuso…’ She thought tiredly, rolling over and smothering herself with the nearest pillow. ‘It ne’er ends…’

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The blackness was comforting, like a thick Polar Leopard pelt and a warm fire in the middle of winter.

It brought back memories of a happier time, back when the weight of being the Avatar was more like a distant goal and the only thing to worry about was getting the chores done before dinner.

White snow and wind-smoothed icebergs slowly emerged from the darkness, and Kumiko could almost feel the chill of an arctic breeze on her cheeks.

Curling further into the warmth surrounding her, she smiled, feeling content for the first time in years…

Plop.

Plop.

Plop.

The sound roused her, and the Waterbender looked around, confused.

What was dripping?

A nightmare manifested before her eyes.

Water Tribe blue eyes met Water Tribe blue, blood staining the snow red.

Bijin…”

The acrid smell of burning furs and cooking flesh filled her nose, and Kumiko choked on the horrible memory.

Vision blurring from tears, she felt her heart crack.

Run.”

Reality came rushing back with the force of a charging Sky Bison, and Kumiko jerked awake, cheeks damp with tears and chest aching.

“Kumiko…”

Sniffling softly, she looked up into Gaara’s worried teal eyes, his warm hands cupping her cheeks and wiping away the salty liquid there.

Gaara had never seen anyone cry before (or, at least, had never cared before), and found he did not like it.

Even Shukaku, who would normally revel in the person’s pain or laugh at Gaara’s weakness, was antsy and telling his carrier to make her stop.

Seeking comfort, Kumiko wriggled into his guard, feeling Gaara tense as she settled on his lap, face buried in his neck and breathing growing steadily calmer.

Gaara, on the other hand, was having a panic attack on the inside.

She was touching him, holding onto him for comfort, with her hot breath fanning across his neck and her arms wrapped around his chest…

What are you waiting for, boy?’ Shukaku demanded, still agitated. ‘Hold her!

Spurred into action, the Jinchuriki pulled her closer, as careful with her as with a piece of fragile glass.

Lulled by a strong sense of security, something she had never felt beyond the fatherly embraces of the Third, the Waterbender sighed as her entire body relaxed.

Urged on by the positive response, Gaara curled over her like the sand shield that defended him, nose buried in her soft white hair and inhaling the scent of vanilla and wilderness.

At that moment, having each other was enough.
♠ ♠ ♠
oojo-princess