When Waves Meet the Sand

Chapter 18: Protect

Temari and Kankuro had never been so flabbergasted in their entire lives.

Their psychopathic, demon-inhabited, homicidal little brother…

Was being nice.

And not just nice, but tolerant, like he had all the patience in the world and nothing could bother him.

No one on the Konoha squad so much as twitched when he came near; in fact, most greeted him rather warmly, even the children.

Did they not know how dangerous Gaara was?

Did they not know that he could crush them at any moment?

But what truly shocked the elder Sand Siblings was how close the white-haired Genin, Kumiko, was to the Demon of Suna.

She always smiled around him, like she was happy to see the cursed Jinchuriki of Sunagakure, and in turn, Gaara followed her like a watchful shadow the entire way across the desert.

Sharing a glance, Temari and Kankuro decided it was best to warn the foolish girl of what she was really dealing with.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the forest slowly thickened around them, leaves filtering the remaining sunlight down to a faint trickle, the two Jonin decided to make camp for the night.

Once Fubuki realized that it was time to rest, the Polar Bear Dog dropped heavily onto her stomach, whining tiredly as Tomoko and Rei leaped off, giggling.

“Oh, poor baby.” Kumiko cooed, scratching behind a floppy white ear as Tomo jumped onto her shoulders with a purr. “Were they giving you trouble, baby girl?”

A softer whine, and Fubuki reached her head around, grabbing Yei by the back of her shirt and carefully depositing her on the grass.

Unhooking the multiple canteens and water skins from the saddle before the Polar Bear Dog unhooked herself and started rolling on the ground like Tomo the first time he had smelled catnip, Kumiko swung them over her shoulder with ease.

“I’m gonna refill these.” She told Gaara, ignoring the persistent purring of Tomo against her neck. “I’ll be back in a few minutes, okay?”

Jade eyes narrowed in displeasure, clearly not wanting her out of his sight, but Gaara nodded anyway.

Shukaku had told him many times not to ‘smother her’, though he would start muttering about tsunamis and angry spirits whenever the Jinchuriki asked why.

Gaara decided it was best he was left unaware.

With one last smile, Kumiko turned and headed into the trees, following the gentle sound of a river that hummed through her blood like an age-old song.

She noticed the elder Sand Siblings following her a minute or two later, but said nothing; they were allies, and the Waterbender doubted that either would attack her.

If they did, it was a foolish idea.

Ambushing a master Waterbender right next to a rather sizable river was not a bright idea.

Stopping at the water’s edge, Kumiko swung the canteens and pouches onto the moist grass, unhappy with their lightness.

The children especially were not used to the desert heat, so she had been forced to use her Bending water to keep her team and pets hydrated.

Kumiko had been uncomfortable about forgoing her main weapon.

If they had been attacked, what would she have done then?

Shaking the dark thoughts away, the young Avatar-in-training crouched down and grabbed the nearest canteen, unscrewing the top.

“Are you going to hide there until I’m done?” She wondered, aiming her question to the hidden Suna nin somewhere behind her.

Seemingly forgoing their attempt to remain unseen, Temari and Kankuro approached the preoccupied kunoichi in the open.

Glancing over her shoulder with a smile, Kumiko waved one hand over the water, lifting just the right amount into the air before placing it securely in the canteen and securing the top without looking.

“Is there something I can help you with?”

Temari, at least, saw the display for what it was; a subtle display of her power and skill, a warning that she was not to be trifled with despite her warmth.

“We need to talk to you about Gaara.” Kankuro started bluntly.

Kumiko blinked once in surprise, turning more towards them while opening the next canteen.

“What about Gaara-kun?”

Both Suna shinobi were floored.

GAARA-KUN?’

The two shared a quick glance.

Things had progressed farther than they had thought.

“You should stay away from him.” Temari advised. “He’s dangerous. If you’re not careful, he’ll kill you.”

She was completely unaware of Kumiko’s sudden stillness, and the agitated swirling of the nearby water.

“Gaara is a monster.”

“No, he’s not.”

Her steadfast conviction was so firm that the forest itself fell silent, giving assent to her words, eyes a dangerous dark blue that warned of the Waterbender’s growing upset.

A chill went down their spines at the realization that Kumiko was much more dangerous than they had thought.

“Gaara-kun is my friend, and I won’t let anyone call him names.” Kumiko promised fiercely. “If you ever call him a monster again, you will regret it.”

Stunned silence was her answer, and she turned away dismissively to continue filling the canteens and her pouches with water.

Kankuro would have been insulted if he was not so relieved.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sitting beside the fire, Kumiko watched night fall over them like a shroud, the music of nocturnal birds and slinking predators humming at the edge of her senses.

Officially, it was Gaara’s job to keep watch during the night, but the Waterbender found that the moon had not waned enough to allow for a good night’s rest.

Said boy was sitting to her right, scanning the trees with a sharp efficiency, while Kumiko turned her own gaze inwards.

Fubuki was not too far off, acting as both a bed and blanket to their four young charges, and Tomo was securely held in a sleeping Yei’s arms, still purring softy.

Kana had made a small earth tent, effectively cut off from everyone else, and Megumi was asleep, propped upright against the exposed rock with her arms crossed, swords laying across her lap and ready should anything happen.

Everyone else were in actual tents, economical little things that were quick to put together and take apart again.

Once sure that everyone else was alright, Kumiko sighed, rubbing some of the exhaustion from her eyes.

The most sleep she had gotten was a couple days before, when…

That damn blush started up again, like it had been waiting for this particular thought to resurface.

Forcing her cheeks to cool, Kumiko had to admit that there was only one thing to be done about her lack of sleep.

“Gaara-kun?”

Turning away from his scouting, Gaara immediately noticed the faint pink dusting her cheeks and wondered what she was thinking about.

“Could I…? I mean…”

Kumiko was quickly finding that there was no way to voice her request without being utterly embarrassed in the process.

Her blush intensified, but she pushed the words out.

“Could you…hold me?”

Gaara stared at her for a long moment, just the memory of her body pressed against his chest and her warm breath on his neck sensitizing his skin and burning his blood like the thrill of hunting down prey.

Why would she let herself be vulnerable like that again?

“Why?”

Kumiko looked up at him with those eyes, mildly confused.

“Why not?” She asked softly, preparing to be rejected.

“I’m a monster.” The Jinchuriki growled, trying to hide the painful twist of his heart. “I could kill you in a moment. Why would you take that chance?”

The Waterbender frowned, a steel in her eyes that Gaara had never seen directed his way before.

“You are not a monster.” She growled back so fiercely that Gaara was distracted from the pain in his chest. “I don’t care what anyone else says; you are my friend, and I know you would never hurt me.”

Gaara could only stare, slowly taking in the determined set of her jaw and the fierceness in her darkened eyes.

“You…trust me?”

The strange, halting question deflated Kumiko’s anger as she saw a flash of the vulnerable child in Gaara’s eyes.

No one had ever trusted him before…

“Of course I trust you.” The Waterbender replied, blue eyes lightening.

Gaara hesitated, but Shukaku was nudging at the back of his mind, telling him it was alright to trust her, out of everyone in the whole world…

Kumiko blinked, straightening, as Gaara purposely dropped off his haunches, opening himself up for anything she planned to do with him.

Touched by this show of faith, the young Avatar quickly situated herself between his parted legs, settling her back against the boy’s chest.

Relaxing at the strangely comforting sensation of being caged in by his body, Kumiko sighed contently, leaning into his warmth.

Once the Jinchuriki had somewhat adjusted to her closeness, Gaara slowly wrapped both arms around his angel’s waist, curling protectively around her like the shield of sand that guarded him.

As her breathing evened out, signaling a descent into sleep, she turned her head enough to see the boy’s face and pressed an innocent kiss to Gaara’s scar.

“You’re the best, Gaara-kun…”

Wide jade eyes were trained on Kumiko’s peaceful face as she finally gave in to exhaustion, chest bubbling with so many emotions he could not name.

One rose above the others, something like affection, and Gaara pressed a soft kiss to the corner of her mouth.

Shukaku growled possessively at his container‘s next thought.

Mine.’

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the sun slowly rose over the horizon, only a few tendrils of fiery light visible, Megumi woke up.

Her inner fire flared at the sudden, if weak, rush of power, and she sighed as it warmed her muscles.

Cracking her neck, the Firebender rolled her shoulders and glanced towards the campfire, subtly augmenting the embers back into proper flames.

After all, she thought rather wryly, Gaara seemed to have his hands full at the moment.

Kumiko was tucked safely against his body, both hands fully engulfed in his, sleeping peacefully despite the large moon.

Megumi had learned, through personal experience, how frightening it was for a Bender to have their hands restrained.

It was a rush of helplessness and panic that overrode all else, leaving only the frantic thought ‘LET GO’ in it’s wake.

All but true master Benders, and perhaps Airbenders, are unable to fight without the use of their arms; to have your hands restrained at all was like a death sentence.

But there Kumiko was, completely relaxed and fast asleep, as if there was nothing wrong in her world at all.

Seeing this, Megumi felt a flash of hope.

Maybe…

A tent flap opened, and gold eyes flicked over to see it was Kankuro before closing, feigning sleep.

There was nothing for a moment, but then the Suna shinobi hesitantly began to make his way over to the fire, most likely disturbing the only sleep Kumiko was going to get until they reached Konoha.

Megumi could not allow it.

Sliding her sheathed swords into the boy’s path, she scoffed when Kankuro tripped over it and fell hard on his face.

Judging by the hysterical laughter in the rock tent, Kana was awake enough to notice.

“My sensei often tells me that ninja should be able to ‘look beneath the underneath’.” Megumi voiced dryly, sending the toppled nin a sarcastic glance. “I thought he meant that a ninja should be able to see through deception. Perhaps I was wrong.”

The laughter grew louder, and Kankuro did his best to hide the mounting embarrassment with bluster.

“What would you know about being a ninja? You’re just a stupid girl!”

Even Gaara, socially inexperienced and emotionally stunted as he was, knew that his foolish older brother should not have said that.

In one fluid motion, both Dao swords were unsheathed, and Kankuro found himself flat on the ground, the blades crossed over his vulnerable neck and stabbed into the ground.

“Is that a challenge?” Megumi wondered idly, but anyone looking would have known better than to think she was calm.

A fire blazed in her eyes, crackled just under her palms, and Kankuro knew he was inches away from a very painful death.

“Cool it, hothead.” Kana voiced, stepping out of her tent and placing it back with a stomp of her foot. “Ya want sweet’eart ta ‘ave a fit o’er ya killin’ one a ‘em?”

The Firebender was silent for a few long moments, enough to make Kankuro sweat and Gaara wonder if she would decapitate him, before sighing.

“Killing was so much easier when there was a challenge in it.” The red-haired kunoichi admitted, freeing her swords from the ground and standing as she sheathed them. “It felt more like survival.”

“Don’t get all philosophical on me, hothead.” Kana warned light-heartedly, already making her way towards the fire. “Yer gonna give me a ‘eadache ‘fore noon.”

“Your fault, for letting your mind become so rigid and slow.” Megumi replied easily, rolling her eyes.

“’Ey, I’m an Earthben’er, not a frickin’ philosopher.” The small brunette shot back, grabbing a pack from Fubuki’s forgotten saddle and pulling out rations for breakfast. “No one told me anythin’ ‘bout philosophy bein’ a requirement fer ninja.”

“I don’t see how it could hurt.” Megumi reasoned, sitting down calmly. “Being spiritually enlightened is a necessity for long life.”

“Look, ‘ere’s two options when I got a problem; smash it wit’ a rock till it stops movin’, or smash it wit’ a rock till it’s dead. Anythin’ else is just fer fun.”



“Of course you would think like that. But what if you run into a problem that you can not fix by smashing it to pieces?” The Firebender wondered, a hint of exasperation in her voice.

“Well, sometimes ya gotta prop somethin’ up. Ain’t gonna chuck boulders at a burnin’ house.”



“…I don’t think you quite understand what I was getting at…”

Gaara looked between the two, following the conversation as rations were passed out, and realized something.

Kumiko had not woken up.

Despite her teammates all but arguing not three feet away, she was still fast asleep and completely undisturbed by the noise.

The only sign had been when Kankuro had tripped and shouted, causing her to flinch almost violently out of his grip like a coiled spring.

But she had settled easily afterwards, though he was only beginning to understand why.

‘Is this friendship?’ Gaara wondered, looking up once more as Megumi scoffed, inciting Kana’s rough ire. ‘This familiarity? This trust?’

The word ‘friendship’ seemed wrong, too insignificant a word for the deepness of this bond he was witnessing.

Friends were people you talked with, played with, sometimes shared secrets with.

This was far more; there was a level of understanding, of acceptance, that Gaara had never seen before.

He could not help but wonder what it was.