When Waves Meet the Sand

Chapter 2: New Life

“How are you feeling, shojo?”

Turning her head away from the window, her Polar Bear Dog pup’s head on her lap, Kumiko stared dubiously at the old man standing in the doorway.

She vaguely remembered him, and the young girl tried to smile, a bruise pulling on her cheek.

“I’m feeling much better. Arigato.”

Nodding slowly, he moved to sit by her bedside, concern flashing through dark eyes in the shadow of his strange red and white hat.

“What is your name?” He wondered, voice soft.

“…Chiyo Kumiko.” She answered, averting her eyes.

“Well, Kumiko-chan, where are you from? You seem to be far from home.” He prodded gently.

Despite his great care, the words still struck a fresh wound, and blue eyes filled with tears against Kumiko’s wishes.

“I…I am from the Southern Water Tribe.” She forced out, voice strained from holding in sobs.

A chill swept down the aged Hokage’s spine.

Only a few days ago, news had spread about everyone in the Southern Tribe being wiped out…

Were there more survivors?

“You traveled a long way.” He noted, trying to sound nonchalant.

“Ki-chan did.” Kumiko replied, rubbing behind her loyal pet’s ears so she purred.

The Third Hokage had to admit that the canine was exceptionally loyal; after carrying the little girl for an unknown amount of time, she had given Kakashi’s nin-dogs a good whooping before calming down.

“Is there any family we can contact?” He questioned, sad.

Kumiko shook her head, tears trembling on her lashes.

“No.” She whispered, hand stilling on the pup’s head and causing the exhausted creature to look up in worry. “They…They killed everyone…”

Staring into those heartbroken eyes, Sarutobi Hiruzen saw the faces of two other young children he could not heal.

This time, he was going to make a difference.

Kumiko felt her heart beat again for the first time since watching her village burn.

“Would you like to be part of mine?”
♠ ♠ ♠
shojo-little girl
arigato-thank you