When Waves Meet the Sand

Chapter 22: Hard Faith

Stomping through the trees, leaving behind an obliterated training field that would likely need severe repairs, Kana tried to rein in her temper.

If Neji was good at anything, it was ticking her off.

She had gone with the intent to rub the completed A-rank mission in his smug face, and the Hyuga had probably not even batted an eye before saying that she was lucky to go, because “they usually keep helpless little girls like you in the kitchen.”

Megumi and Lee had a hell of a time keeping her from smashing that arrogant jerk into a red smear on the ground.

Still seething, the young kunoichi had gone off and destroyed one of the more remote training grounds in an impressive display of Earthbending that made quite a few Jonin turn right around and leave her alone.

Now, tired and grumpy, Kana was walking through the forest in an attempt to calm down.

‘Stupid, narcissistic, arrogant…ASS.’

The walk was not proving to be particularly calming…

‘If I e’er see that jackass ‘gain, I’m gonna shove a rock so far up ‘is ass ‘e’ll puke gravel!’ Kana promised fiercely, momentarily appeasing her anger.

A sob pulled the girl from her thoughts, and her Seismic Sense immediately pinpointed the source.

She was on the edge of another clearing, with three wooden posts in the center and a girl huddled at the base of one, crying into her knees.

The ring of metal through Kana’s senses told her this was a kunoichi, probably a Genin considering she was probably twelve as well, and she wondered what had happened.

“’Ey.”

The girl squeaked in surprise, like a mouse, and Kana felt a smile tug at the edge of her mouth.

“What are ya cryin’ fer?”

“N-Nothing…” She replied, stuttering and shy. “G-Gomen, d-did you w-w-want to train?”

“Nah, done ‘nough damage fer the day.” Kana assured, stopping a foot or so away. “Still wonderin’ what’s got ya all upset, though.”

Sniffling, as if embarrassed or ashamed, the crying girl rubbed her eyes dry and lifted her head.

“I-I failed m-my team’s l-last mission…I-I just…I w-want so b-badly to be st-strong…”

For a long moment, Kana was silent, mulling the words over in her head like smooth stones.

“…Then we’d betta’ get started.”

The girl was stunned, staring at the outstretched hand being offered to her.

“B-But…”

“Ya ain’t gonna get any stronger sittin’ ‘round cryin’ ‘bout it, so I’m gonna ‘elp ya train.” Kana explained with a shrug.

There was a moment of silent contemplation before small, shy fingers wrapped around the Earthbender’s calloused hand, pulling the girl up behind them.

A-Arigato…”

“We’re wastin’ daylight.” Kana stated, brushing off the thanks. “Might as well get started…”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hinata had grown used to being left behind.

She was the weak link, the burden, and only brought shame to her family.

It was a miracle in itself that she became a ninja, but that was where the good luck ended.

The Hyuga heiress was painfully aware that all of her training had done nothing to stop the constant failures on missions, and was very near giving up entirely.

That was when Kana had arrived.

Hinata had never met a person quite like her before; she was small, but strong; blind, but able to see everything; callous, but able to sympathize.

Kana was a bundle of contradictions, and it took only a few hours of hard training for Hinata to realize it.

“Focus, mouse.” The Earthbender ordered, sending another disk of rock whizzing through the air like a deadly Frisbee.

Side-stepping, Hinata used a chakra-enhanced blow to destroy the projectile with pinpoint accuracy, Byakugan pulsing as she scanned for more.

A smirk crossed Kana’s face, and she sent three more disks flying.

With each pass, they grew smaller and smaller, and harder to spot at high speeds.

But Hinata refused to give up, not when someone finally believed she could change.

For the first time, she was truly beginning to believe it, too.