When Waves Meet the Sand

Chapter 3: Sunrises

Kumiko always loved watching the sunrise.

The changing colors overhead were mesmerizing, and she would often look over the world as it slowly woke up from a peaceful rest.

Though she missed the rainbows when sunlight reflected off of snow, or the shine off the smooth icebergs, Kumiko found the forest just as calming and beautiful to watch.

Perched on a boulder, the preteen examined her personal training ground in the dawn light, gauging her progress.

Icicles were littered all over the rather sizable clearing, their sharp edges cutting through wood and stone, and a patch of withered grass stood next to a sliced boulder that had fallen cleanly in half.

Rocks jutted unnaturally out of the ground, and trees had been toppled from having large stones thrown into their thick trunks.

Proud of her predawn training, Kumiko slid down from her seat and adjusted the water pouches strapped to her back.

With a wave of her hand, the ice thawed, flowing into two empty pouches and staying put as she twisted the caps back on.

Stretching out her back with a ‘POP’, the young Waterbender folded both hands behind her head and started out at a leisurely pace towards the mansion peeking over the tree line.

Whistling softly, long white braid swaying with each step, she approached a sliding glass door and squeezed inside.

The interior was rather sparse, with very few decorations and designs, and painted warm reds and browns.

Passing by a few of the main meeting rooms, quite a few of which doubled as libraries or entertainment rooms, she stepped into the kitchen.

The large, spacious room was clean and occupied by only one person so early in the morning.

Konohamaru, ready for classes at the Ninja Academy, was shoveling pancakes into his mouth with such gusto that Kumiko momentarily wondered how he was able to breathe.

“Good morning, otouto.” She greeted, grabbing an apple from the counter and leaning against the dark stone island the boy sat at.

Konohamaru tried to reply, but choked on his mouthful of pancake and flailed comically instead.

Used to this, since he tended to do the same almost every morning, Kumiko rolled her eyes and gave him one solid smack between the shoulder-blades.

A chunk of food flew out, hitting the wall with a ‘SPLAT’, and she pulled a face in disgust.

“Ew.”

“Sorry, oneechan…” He apologized, matching Naruto’s sheepish grin almost exactly. “I got excited…”

“I can see that.” She replied smartly, using water from a nearby pitcher to clean up the mess. “Finish up. We’re leaving soon.”

Throwing the sullied water into the sink, the Waterbender turned and whistled as Konohamaru went back to wolfing down his food.

A bark, followed by a heavy ‘THUMP’, came from upstairs, and Kumiko smiled fondly as her Polar Bear Dog rushed down the stairs to greet her.

Skidding on the kitchen tile, Fubuki pressed her head into the girl’s torso, growling happily as she was hugged around the neck.

“Morning, Ki-chan.” Kumiko cooed, scratching behind a floppy ear. “Were you a good girl while I was gone?”

Rumbling in the affirmative, the massive canine flopped down without being released from her hug, nuzzling Kumiko’s neck.

Finishing his teetering stack of pancakes with a flourish, Konohamaru choked it down with a tall glass of milk and sighed in relief once his airways were clear.

Eyeing him to make sure the boy didn’t suddenly start choking again, which was a good possibility, Kumiko ruffled her pet’s ears.

“Go get your bridle, Ki-chan. We’re heading out now.”

Tongue lolling happily as her tail became a wagging blur, Fubuki barked and took off through the house to retrieve the loops of leather for her owner.

“Do you have everything?” Kumiko wondered, biting into her apple.

Hai!” He answered happily, jumping down from his stool to retrieve his pack. “Ojiisan helped me pack!”

Smiling as Fubuki returned, skidding into a wall, the Waterbender ruffled his spiky brown hair.

“Good. You might have forgotten something otherwise.”

Ignoring his pout, she grabbed the reins from Fubuki’s mouth and herded both out the front door of the Hokage’s mansion, locking it behind her.

Helping Konohamaru onto the Polar Bear Dog’s shaggy back, Kumiko looped the reins around Fubuki’s neck and shoulders, securing it snugly.

Swinging herself up behind Konohamaru, she squeezed her thighs and tightened her grip on the reins.

Instantly recognizing the signal, Fubuki took off through the trees, heading straight for the Ninja Academy.

Weaving through the crowded streets of Konohagakure, Fubuki jumped over shopping civilians and swerved out of the way of rushing ninja, intent on her goal.

Startled by the sudden movement, Konohamaru clung to Kumiko like a koala cub, afraid to fall off.

Wrapping an arm around the boy’s shoulders to hold him in place, she steered Fubuki away from the market to avoid the morning crowds.

‘You’d think he’d be used to the speed by now.’ The preteen thought, amused.

Pulling sharply on the reins, Kumiko brought her steed to a skidding halt directly in front of the Academy’s front door.

With a pat to Fubuki’s neck in thanks, the young girl jumped down, Konohamaru still clinging to her chest.

“You can let go now, otouto.”

Realizing that he was no longer in mortal peril, the boy jumped back, flushing bright red and scrambling to regain the remnants of his dignity.

“I-I wasn’t scared! I just-I just thought you needed a hug!”

Smiling fondly at the flustered ninja-in-training, Kumiko decided to put him out of his misery.

“That’s alright, otouto. Just get to class. I’m working with otousan today, so don’t skip.”

Nodding rapidly in agreement, knowing better than to test his sister’s patience when she had to do paperwork, Konohamaru gave her one last hug and bolted for the door.

“Alright, oneechan! Say hi to ojiisan for me!”

Waving until the boy was out of sight, Kumiko sighed, turning slightly to card her fingers through Fubuki’s thick fur.

Growling softly in contentment, the Polar Bear Dog butted her head against the girl’s hip, whining softly.

“Oh, alright.” She mock-grumbled, taking up the reins and leading the way towards the Hokage Tower. “You’ll get your treats once we get to otousan’s office, you big baby…”
♠ ♠ ♠
otouto-little brother
oneechan-big sister
hai-yes
ojiisan-grandfather
otousan-father