When Waves Meet the Sand

Chapter 5: Friendship and Fire

The sun shone softly overhead, sending ripples of golden light through the trees to paint the grass in ever-shifting patterns of dark and light that was mesmerizing to watch.

Tearing her eyes away from the sight, shifting the strap of twin Dao swords lower on her sore shoulder, the young teenager frowned.

Amber eyes scanned the wide road, checking for danger, and she flicked a dark red curl away from her face with a sigh.

A wall, pale amid the intervening greenery, set her at ease.

‘Finally…’ She thought, tightening the bandages around her arms distractedly. ‘It’s time…’

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Staring each other down from across an empty training ground, the two Benders sized each other up, waiting to strike.

A muscle in Kumiko’s wrist twitched, and Kana smirked.

Widening her stance sharply, the white-haired preteen thrust her palm forward, sending a column of earth rushing out of the earth.

Holding her ground, Kana blocked her face, and the rock smashed against her braced arms, shattering like glass.

Stomping the packed dirt, the Earthbender brought up three boulders, which she punched at Kumiko simultaneously.

Instinct had the young Avatar dodging them, one clipping her heavily on the shoulder and sending the girl spinning off her feet.

Breaking her stance as the projectiles crashed into the trees, Kana sighed, disappointment visible even with the hitai-ite tied over her eyes.

“I tol’ ya not ta dodge. Ta really Earthben’, ya gotta stan’ yer groun’.”

“Sorry, danna…” Kumiko apologized, sitting up with a wince. “I’m still not used to it, that’s all.”

Pulling water from the grass, she covered her palm and pressed it to her badly-bruised shoulder, the glow soothing away any pain.

Frowning, Kana tapped her toes against the ground, attention focused on her student’s skeletal structure to make sure there were no fractures.

Once sure that she was alright, the Earthbender noticed a Jonin and his squad heading straight for them.

“We got company.”

Blinking once in confusion, Kumiko turned her head to scan the training grounds, and spotted two green blurs racing over the grass.

“They’re early for team training…” The Waterbender muttered to herself, standing up. “Ohayo, Gai-sensei. Lee-kun.”

“Chiyo-sama! It is so inspiring to see the daughter of our Hokage showing her youthfulness through hard training!” Gai replied enthusiastically, dramatic tears running down his face. “You can learn much from her example, Lee!”

Hai, Gai-sensei!”

Kumiko stared at the two, unsure how to respond, and Tenten shook her head in embarrassment, smiling apologetically.

Gomen, Chiyo-sama. They’re very excited today.”

“It’s no problem, Tenten-chan.” Kumiko assured, smiling softly.

“And who is this youthful maiden?” Gai shouted, and the Waterbender noticed a tick in Kana’s jaw at the ‘maiden’ part.

“This is my new teammate, Misaki Kana.” She introduced, forcing a broader smile. “Kana, this is Maito Gai and his veteran Genin team; Rock Lee, Tenten, and Hyuga Neji.”

Nodding in greeting, Kana shoved both hands into her pockets, looking completely relaxed.

“Yo.”

“Your youthful coolness will hold you in good stead, just like it has for my rival Kakashi!” Gai assured, grinning. “Would you two like to join our training? Your youthfulness would push my own students harder!”

“Actually, I have to go help otousan with paperwork…” Kumiko started, backpedaling, when she heard Neji scoff.

Both Benders zeroed in on the arrogant Hyuga.

“You should back down, little girls. Training with us will only get you hurt.”

Kana bristled inwardly at the insult to her skill, and Kumiko sensed the shift as surely as one could feel the first trembles of an earthquake.

“Oh crap…” She whispered, looking between them worriedly.

“If yer so sure ya can beat me, then let’s spar.” The Earthbender challenged, fists clenched in her pockets.

Neji eyed the girl curiously, wondering what was going through her head.

“There is no point if I know how it will end.”



“Kana, I’ve told you not to crush anyone.” Kumiko scolded. “Put that down!”

Neji turned in surprise, finding a massive boulder floating threateningly in his blind spot.

It dropped with a loud ‘THUD’, falling harmlessly onto one side, and fear prickled at the edges of the Hyuga’s senses.

Turning back to the blindfolded kunoichi, he wondered how he had missed that.

Gomen, but we have other things to do today.” Kumiko apologized, grabbing her teammate by the arm and pulling her away. “Perhaps another time, Gai-sensei.”

“Of course, Chiyo-sama! Burn bright with the power of youth!”

Ignoring his hyperactive sensei, Neji watched them go, confused and angry with his confusion.

No one should be able to defy fate.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grumbling around a mouthful of flavored rice, Kana attacked her bento with the ferocity of a Saber-Toothed Moose Lion, hitai-ite hanging around her neck in a discarded manner.

Eating at a slower pace, Kumiko watched the nearby river, soothed by the soft sound of water running over age-smoothed rocks.

“Stupid boy, thinkin’ I can’t fight…” Kana mumbled audibly, stuffing a piece of pork in her mouth with some rice. “I’ll show ‘im who can’t fight…Let’s see ‘im walk ‘roun’ with a rock shoved up ‘is-”

Kana!” Kumiko shouted, wide-eyed.

“What? ‘E’d deserve it!” The brunette argued, frowning. “It’d serve ‘im right, too, ‘ssumin’ I can’t kick ‘is ass six ways ta Sunday.”

“Neji may be…abrasive.” Kumiko admitted, trying to find a more neutral word for the Hyuga prodigy’s attitude. “But he’s still a citizen of Konoha. You can’t just beat him up.”

Muttering about the unfairness of it all, Kana finished off her lunch and lay back on the grass, fingers curling into the fresh dirt underneath.

Watching her for a moment, Kumiko let out a sigh, putting her own meal aside.

“…I’m sorry.”

Surprised by her words, the Earthbender turned her head towards her Waterbending companion, mind racing.

“Huh?”

“I know you’d rather not be here, and it’s my fault for not learning Earthbending on my own. I promise to try harder so that you can leave sooner.”

For a moment, Kana could only gawk at her.

Once her brain caught up with what had been said, the brunette jerked herself upright, scowling as she grabbed Kumiko by her mesh shirt threateningly.

“Don’t thin’ fer one moment ‘at anyone can force me ta do anything’ I don’t wanna do!” She growled, fierce. “I’m ‘ere ‘cause I wanna be, an’ if ya e’er thin’ o’erwise, I’m gonna beat some sense inta yer ‘ead!”

Dumbstruck, Kumiko stared into the other girl’s blind eyes and tried to find words.

“…Really?”

Deflating slowly, Kana released her grip.

“I don‘t lie, sweet’eart.”

Slowly, a smile broke out across her face like a flash of sunlight over water, and she embraced the Earthbender.

Arigato.” Kumiko whispered.

Blushing faintly, Kana patted the white-haired girl’s back awkwardly.

“Yeah, yeah…”

“Chiyo-sama!”

The two Benders jumped apart, turning to see Ebisu running towards them, breathless.

“Your presence is required at the Hokage Tower. A visitor has arrived demanding to see you.”

“A visitor?” Kumiko echoed, brow furrowing in confusion. “Who?”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sitting back calmly, Sarutobi eyed the girl before him in curiosity.

She was only a couple of years older than his own daughter, with pale skin and sharp amber eyes.

The girl was built more like a runner than a fighter; she was lean, but toned, and her aristocratic features were carefully blank.

Her long red ponytail swayed as she turned to the opening door, seeming completely at ease.

Kumiko blinked owlishly as she stepped inside, with Kana only moments behind her, and the Waterbender closed the door in Ebisu’s face.

“Um…Hi.”

Musume, this is Chinatsu Megumi. She has offered to be your Firebending teacher.” Sarutobi explained.

Kana frowned, hitai-ite once more secured over her sightless eyes, and stepped forward almost threateningly.

A hand on her shoulder kept the Earthbender from doing anything else, and she huffed, subsiding.

Looking into the older girl’s bright gold eyes, Kumiko relaxed slowly, not sensing any danger.

“Why?”

Guilt flashed across Megumi’s eyes, quickly hidden but clearly visible, and her expression hardened in determination.

“It needs to be done.”

Silence fell as the two studied each other, and Sarutobi wondered for a moment what the two girls were looking for.

Only the slight tapping of Kana’s toes against the wood floor betrayed her anxiety.

A smile spread across Kumiko’s face, and all the tension in the room immediately dissipated.

Arigato, Megumi-chan.”

Staring at her in confusion, an embarrassed flush crossed Megumi’s face and she looked away, expression forcefully blank.

“Whatever…”
♠ ♠ ♠
hitai-ite-forehead protector
danna-master
gomen-sorry
sensei-teacher