When Waves Meet the Sand

Chapter 8: Lost

Fubuki was not known for being an aggressive creature.

She was a sweet, playful dog that loved Kumiko more than anything else in the world.

It was this great love and her undying loyalty that had the passive Polar Bear Dog on the rampage.

Proud of his victory, the young shinobi turned to see who his next target would be.

In that one moment of arrogance, he left himself open to Fubuki’s vengeance.

Pouncing on the small boy so hard that his whips flew away, harmless, the canine dug her fangs into his shoulder and shook the boy in her jaws like a rag-doll.

Once the boy stopped moving altogether, Fubuki released him, giving one more growl before running to the cliff’s edge in search of her owner.

A wide river foamed below, the strong current split by jutting rocks and creating dangerous undercurrents.

Ignoring the fights still raging behind her, the canine jumped down, skidding on the steep incline until she reached the bottom.

With a huff at the extra weight attached to her saddle, Fubuki used her teeth to undo the knot around her stomach, shaking the entire thing off before racing downstream.

Kumiko needed her.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Staring in disbelief at where Kumiko had fallen, Megumi felt a spark of rage in her chest.

Kumiko was hurt by those blade-whips, and probably disoriented from being thrown.

If she had been knocked unconscious by the fall…

With a roar like an enraged Tigerdillo, Megumi turned on her opponents with a flurry of fireballs.

Neither had expected such a display, operating on the deduction that she was a Taijutsu user, and were thrown back by the assault.

With her prey unconscious and badly singed, the Firebender breathed out the rest of her anger in a puff of flame.

Three bodies flew past her, pinned under rocks, and she knew Kana had grown tired of the distraction as well.

Running towards the cliff as Fubuki slid down, Megumi brought herself to an abrupt halt at the edge, immediately scanning the raging water for any signs of their teammate.

Seeing no sign of movement as the Polar Bear Dog abandoned her load and took off, Megumi scowled, nails biting into the scarred palms of her hands through the bandages.

“Damn.”

Kana appeared beside her, foot slamming into the ground to better visualize the area.

As the young Earthbender began to spew a series of rather impressive curses, Genma approached, having safely secured their enemies.

“Is there any sign of her?” He worried, mind already racing with all the things the Hokage would do to him when the old man found out about this.

“No.” Kana replied, causing the Jonin’s heart to sink. “But ‘er dog went off somewhere. She’ll find ‘er.”

Genma certainly hoped so…

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The moment air rushed into Kumiko’s lungs, the world fell back into place.

Coughing weakly, she forced herself to roll over on the moist sand, the satiny touch of water flowing over her legs comfortingly.

Arigato, Yue-sama…’ She thought, still dazed.

Bleeding sluggishly from the punctures cutting diagonally across her chest, the Waterbender tried to raise a hand in an attempt to heal herself.

The poison had taken more of a toll than she had anticipated; her arms gave out, too weak to support her weight, and Kumiko willed the black spots out of her vision with sheer willpower.

Kuso…’

The darkness was closing in against her will, hearing fading in and out, and she felt tears prick her eyes.

‘Why…? Why can’t I…?’

As unconscious swept over her, Kumiko vaguely wondered where the voices of young children was coming from.
♠ ♠ ♠
kuso-damn