Status: Every Friday

I'm Not Retarded, Just Unique

Pill Popper

“Marie, I will bring it up again to you because I do recommend this. I strongly advise you to put Frank on some anti-depressants.” Anna said. Her blonde hair was pulled back into a professional styled bun and her hands were folded together on her desk. Marie sat across from her, the gray and white hairs on her own head were being held back by a black headband.

“Anna, I just don't know,” Marie sighed. How would Frank react to the pills? Would he even accept them?

“You can at least have them in the medicine cabinets, lead him on them. Marie his emotional status is only getting worse. Over the past few years, his episodes have become more frequent and progressively worse. Two years ago, he only had five. Last year, he had seven. This year isn't even over, and he has already had nine. Nine Marie, judging by the last one he just had he is developing something inside of him. With his lack of vocabulary and his inability to express himself, it would behoove of you to get these pills for him. He will soon grow to be unstable and dangerous to himself and you. After today's session with him, I do believe that Frank is able to understand anger. He clearly feels it and usually describes it as-” Anna stopped to looks through her notes. “as 'ugh' or 'mmphr' or other sounds. He will also move his hands more and in frequent motions when angry. He doesn't know that it is anger though. Have you ever talked to him about it?”

“At times,” Marie admitted. “I asked him if he ever felt really mad at someone, but he was always so passive. Now though, he knows what being mad is. But, you know they are really different. You can be mad at someone for for doing silly things. Like if someone were to irritate you or were just playing around with you. Yet, if you are angry you really want to hit someone or do damage. Frank will only push at someone or give them a light slap if he wants someone to get out. He'd never punch anyone. Hell, he gets upset when someone curses. He's too innocent.”

“Marie, that innocence will fade. He can't and won't be your little boy forever. Those little slaps will turn into punches. Those pushes will turn into beating. If he knows what being mad is, it is only a matter of time until he figures out what being angry is. Depression always turns into anger and visa-verse. There will always be classes you could take him to so he can control his anger. That is no issue. The real issue lies within the depression. Marie, you need to put Frank on them. As his therapist, I strongly, strongly, strongly advise you do this. He may be happy right now, but he will get upset again.”

"Also Marie," Anna stated folding her hands together. Her face held a seriouse expression that worried Marie. "Today, Frank had done something I had never seen him do. He held back his emotions. That isn't healthy. Frank needs to vent and you need to give him whatever it takes to make that happen Marie. I know you don't want to spoil Frank, but this a major problem. I don't want to say it will lead into anything life threatening. But, Frank is at the age where he needs to express himself or.." Doctor Anna bit her lip and took a deep breath before continueing. "I fear Frank will develope some suicidal thoughts."

“Okay,” Marie nearly shouted. She had given in. She knew Anna was right, she was a professional. Marie knew, deep down, that Frank was and would get worse, suiciadal even. With his back story and inability to comprehend everything, he will someday just be unable to handle it all. Marie fears what will happen when that day will come, but maybe theses pills will prevent it.

“Just lead him onto it. Approach the subject delicately. Try different methods. Maybe give it to him at breakfast and if he asks about it you should tell him about it. Talk to him about it, ask him if he feels comfortable with talking the medicine and tell him how it will benefit him.” Anna wrote down the prescription. She ripped it out and handed it to Marie. The two exchanged goodbyes and Marie got into her car and began driving to the pharmacist.

She never approved of having her children or any children for that matter on drugs. Even if the doctors called it 'beneficial' or 'life changing'. She was changing Frank. She was scared of how he would react to and on the drugs. How different would he be? Would he be numbed? Marie bit her lip and she turned off her car staring at the building in front of her. She took her time stepping out of the car and through the automatic doors. She eyed every object near her as if it would come out and attack her. With a deep breath, she stepped up to the counter and handed the prescription to the doctor.

“Prescription for Frank Lero?” The woman asked staring down at the paper.

“Iero,” Marie corrected.

“And is he related to you?”

“Yes, he is my grandson. I'm here to get his medicine prescribed by his therapist.” The woman nodded. Her name tag read 'Tammy' and she had bright red hair that was pulled back into a messy pony tail. She brushed her bangs out of her muddy brown eyes and asked Marie a few more questions before getting the medicine. Marie nodded, smiled, and paid for the evil pills.

The drive home seemed longer then the drive to the pharmacist. She hoped Frank had already fallen asleep when she opened up the house. She slowly crept inside, noticing only one lights was on. It was in the kitchen but the TV was glowing in the living room. She dropped her coat and shoes, clutching the bag as she entered the room. She spotted Gerard and Frank cuddling on the couch.

Gerard was on his back, petting Frank's hair as he slept on top of him. Gerard looked up when he heard Marie's bag rustle.

“Oh hi,” he said with a small smile. He was clearly drained and tired but still managed to stay awake somehow. Marie felt grateful for Gerard being with Frank even if he probably had to push his body to keep up with the boy.

“Hey, uh-thank for taking care of Frank when I chatted with Anna. It was very sweet of you.” Marie said giving Gerard an equally as tired smile.

“No problem-oh, did you get food?” Gerard asked eying the bag. “I ordered a pizza for Frank because he wanted one. There is still some left over, I should have called you.” Gerard cautiously rolled out from under Frank. He made sure the boy was still fast asleep on the couch as he crawled out from under him.

“No,” Marie sighed lifting the bag a little. “These are-uh...these are Frank new pills. His anti-depressants Anna wanted him on. I am a little wary about it but tomorrow we will see how it goes.” Marie shrugged a little and Gerard placed a comforting hand on her shoulder.

“I'm sure he will accept them. Mikey did after a bit. I mean, at first he took them because they were cherry flavored. But, when he had to swallow them down he refused to take them. You just need to be delicate and tell them that it will make them feel like superman.” Gerard let out a little laugh. “Hooked Mikey on them.”

Gerard glanced back at Frank before facing Marie again.

“I'm going to go now, I guess. I'll see you after school.” He gave a small wave before heading out the door. Marie turned around and looked down at the passed out Frank. He laid curled up lightly, his smalls hands holding onto the couch as if thinking it was another person. Marie just shook her head and tossed a blanket on Frank. She kissed his head before going to bed herself.

Marie's sleep was calm and peaceful. She was thankful for it because she knew today's main activity would drain her. She went downstairs after she woke up and found Frank watching TV, all dressed with his shoes untied. He was mindlessly playing with them as he watched Sponge Bob.

“Hi granny!” Frank grinned as she saw her.

“Hey Frankie, you want some breakfast?” Frank nodded his head enthusiastically. Marie went into the kitchen and began making some vegetarian bacon, some toast, and potato hash. She placed all the food neatly onto two plates and paused. She eyed the pill bag before inching to it. She extended her hand so her old fingers curled around with top of the bag. She carefully opened it up and removed the box of pills and popped one out. She took in a calming breath before placing the purple pill onto Frank's plate. She slid the bag away and placed both plates along with the cups of milk onto the table. Frank jumped away from the couch and grabbed his fork before he even sat down. He stopped his attempt to stab his hash when he saw the pill on the plate.

“Grandma, you mixed our plates up.” Frank pointed out leaning back. Marie set her fork down and closed her eyes. She took one last deep breath reopening her eyes.

“No Frank, that is for you. That is your pill. Anna wants you to take it.” Marie said and Frank stared down at it.

“Am I sick?”

“No, you are not sick, not at all.”

“Then, I do not take it. Take pills when sick. You say, that I am not sick. I no need pill.” Frank flicked the pill off of his plate and began pushing his food away from where it will. He ever separated the food that touched the pill.

“Frank, this isn't a pill you take when you are sick. This is an anti-depressant. Anna and I want to see what will happen if you take it. This will make you feel happy and make your episodes go away. You won't be mad or upset. Frankie, you don't have to take the pill if you don't want to.” Marie caved, she hated pushing Frank too far. She was such a push over.

“I am..am a test? A-um..” Frank stared off into space.

“Frank you aren't a test subject.” Marie spoke and Frank just stared at the floor.

“I'm...I don't-I don't know. Not sick, no pill. I'm happy, not upset. I don't need if I am not upset. I don't-I don't get it.” Frank's brow was furrowed as he glared at the pill.

“Frank, this pill to make sure you do not get upset again. You may be happy now but you will be upset again Frank. No one can be happy forever. Frank this pill will-will-” Marie stuttered for words. “This pill will make you Superman.” Marie felt utterly stupid saying it but she needed to see what Frank would be like on this pill. Just after this one day, then she'd know what she wanted to do with Frank.

“What? Superman?” Frank asked his interest fully on Marie.

“You think Superman can be happy all the time? These make him happy all the time so he can save lives and be super.” Frank stared down at the little pill in awe. He snatched it up and swallowed it down with half of his milk.

“How long, 'till I can be superman?” Frank asked eyes locked with Marie.

“Eat your breakfast and we'll find out.” With a wicked grin Frank followed the command.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the short chapter and the gramatical errors. I am currently writing this at my school ._.

Question for you guys!!! I need help coming up with a new layout. The theme I have in Unique. So I want you guys to come up with things that are unqiue and different from the world.

Recs: 55
Readers: 212
Subscribers: 105
Comments: 163