Status: Every Friday

I'm Not Retarded, Just Unique

Tears

Marie woke up feeling groggy and out of it. She rolled out of bed and winced as she stood up, Her brittle bones crack as she stretched. She let out a yawn as she slid her feet into a pair of light pink slippers. She pulled a yellow and pink floral pattern robe and slid it on. She began making her journey down the hall and she looked into Frank's room. The bed was empty and it took her only a few moments to realize this.

She began to wonder if he was already up and eating a bowl of cereal of some sort. Grandmother Iero began making her way down the steps and to the first floor. She by passed the den and went into the kitchen to make herself a cup of tea. When her water was hot enough, she dipper her tea bag inside and carried it into the dinning room. She expected to hear the living room TV but only got silence. She looked up and did a double take at the sight.

Frank lay curled up next to Gerard. Gerard had his arm wrapped around his waist, insuring that Frank would not fall off the couch.

It was far to early for Marie to begin processing all the questions the filled her head. She simple got up and began making a pot of coffee for Gerard. Marie kept her eye out for any other unexpected visitors as she read the paper, occasionally sipping at her tea.

It wasn't long before the two bodies began to stir and finally awaken. Frank was the first to lift his head up, seeming to be dazed and unaware of what was happening. He yawned and blinked, still very sleepy. Gerard stretched out nearly knocking Frank off the couch in the process. The two rubbed their eyes and let out numerous yawns before Marie decided to great them.

“Good morning,” she said calmly. Frank and Gerard looked up at her before answering back a 'morning. “Gerard, I made you some coffee.” Gerard perked up at this.

“Thank you,” he said. He got up and scurried off to the kitchen.

“Orange juice?” Frank asked still from the couch.

“I'll get you some orange juice. Sit down at the table, honey.” Marie told Frank and he followed the order. Marie entered the kitchen right when Gerard left and he sat down next to Frank.

“Thank you,” Frank said in a small voice.

“You're welcome,” Gerard answered right before Marie came in. The elder woman gave the two boys a few minuets to get fully awake before she began the interrogation.

“So Gerard, what are you doing here?” Gerard glanced at Marie from the rim of the coffee cup.

“Uh-, last night I came over. I wanted to make sure Frank was okay.”

“Okay,” Frank nodded. “Now.”

“Alright,” Marie said quickly. She didn't want to press on the matter with Frank in the room. She would have to get him to leave in order to question the adult further.

After serving breakfast, the three got comfortable at the table once again. It had been a silent breakfast which was strange for all three of them. Marie was use to Frank chatting up a storm about his dream or about the day to come. Gerard was use to Mikey talking with his mouth full of food, demanding Gerard's attention. Frank was expecting questions to be asked. The awkwardness between the three was clear to anyone.

“Frank, can you go get ready? You are going to see Anna today.”

“Okay,” Frank said without another word. He got up and fled the room. Grandma Iero didn't say anything until he heard him go up all the stairs.

“Gerard, is there a reason you spent the night at my house?” Marie asked him and Gerard seemed to be expecting these questions.

“Frank feels numb.” Gerard stated and this surprised Marie. “When I came over yesterday, he was really upset still. I tried to talk to him but he kept saying he had the 'tingles?” Gerard looked at Marie for a sign of conformation and she nodded. “I thought he was cold. He got up and went into the kitchen and came back with an ice cube. Again, I thought he was just cold. He gave me the ice cube and wouldn't let me go until it melted. My hand was numb and he poked at it saying tingles. He doesn't know why but he's really upset about his mom. He cried himself to sleep over why she didn't want him. I didn't really know what to do so I just comforted him.” The young adult said, rubbing the back of his neck.

Marie just sighed and looked down into her murky brown tea. A frown was etched onto her face, crinkling her face.

“Thank you, I guess for telling me.” Marie stated folding her hands together. “But, I can't help but ask you about this. Do you..like Frank?” Gerard's eyes widened as he began to nervously fidget in his chair.

“Er-uh-not-uh...not really? I mean, he is adorable and cute but, I don't think anything more of him.” Gerard slightly lied to Marie. What he was saying was true. No one could call him on that. Gerard did however want to get to know Frank more. He wanted to spend time with him and make Frank happy. He wanted a smile to forever remain on his face.

“Okay, I just had to ask. I know you would never do anything to hurt him. I guess I am being an overprotective parent here.” She let out a nervous laugh before Frank appeared. He put on his red converse and crossed the laces.

“Crossed!” Frank said and Marie smiled at him. She was thrilled that Frank remembered the first step of tying his shoes.

After the oldest member tied her grandson's shoes, the party of three broke up. Gerard went home while the Iero's went to see Frank's therapist.

Marie spoke to Anna about what Gerard had told her before she allowed Frank into his session. It was rather quiet today. Frank didn't say much and Anna attempted to ask him questions, but only got a shrug.

“Frank, you know I am here to help you. I can't do that if you don't tell me what's on your mind.” Anna said with a small smile. Frank just stared at the six pencils in her pencil cup. With a small sigh, Anna sat back and looked at her notepad, preparing herself for the silence to come.

“I'm like Sponge Bob.” Frank finally said. Doctor Anna looked up at him in confusion.

“Excuse me?”

“I'm...I'm like Sponge Bob.” Frank said again, with the same dull and plain voice.

“Why do you say that, Frank? What makes you Sponge Bob?”

“I...I saw him before. The TV, Sponge Bob,” Frank mumbled. “There is show. One time on show, Sponge Bob saw-got to see...his grandma. She loved him. She loved, him like-like, Marie love me.” Frank fiddled with his finger as he watched Anna's pencil scribble across the notepad. “It's silly 'cause, in show there is kiss. Marie gives me kisses. But-but-uh, the kiss left...left-uh-left a mark. Marie never leaves mark. I was sad. Sponge Bob got picked on, for the kiss. He got picked on like me. Only I get, cause, I'm special.” Frank finished, eyebrows frowning.

Anna stared at him, letting Frank take his time with explaining things. Being a mother herself, Anna was well aware of the episode Frank was explaining to her. She was pleasantly surprised that Frank had made the connection. It showed improvement is so many categorizes. Opening up a small window of opportunities for him.

“But Sponge Bob, his parents, they never-are never around. There is still episode of them. They love him. They are a...a family. That is where-where we are,not same. Different, different,” He rubbed his arm and looked down at his shoes. “Sponge Bob has family. I don't.”

“Frank you do have a family. Marie is your family.” Anna told him but Frank was ready to strike back.

“I don't have mom or dad.”

“Yes, you may not. But, just because you don't doesn't mean you don't have a family. A family is a group of people who you love and are very special to you. You love Marie, don't you?”

“Yes.”

“She is very special?”

“Yes.”

“Then Marie is your family.” Frank blinked and took a deep breath, releasing it slowly. The room fell into yet another long silence before Frank spoke up once more.

“Gerard and Mikey are like...Patrick and Squidward.” A small-oh so small-smile formed on Frank's face. “I guess, Gerard is Squidward b-because he is...art...ar-art-is-tic? Artistic? But, Gerard isn't mean. Gerard is nice. I like Gerard. Mikey-Mikey not dumb. Mikey is smart! He is...he's better at math.” Frank shook his head a bit, crunching up his nose. “I, do not like, math.” Frank mumbled but his eyes lit up suddenly as he stared at Anna. “Gerard and Mikey! They is-are special. I love them, like-like friend love. They my family? Are they my family, too?” Frank asked and Anna leaned back in her chair.

“I don't see why not.” Frank smiled a bit. It was a small and almost bashful smile. “How are Gerard and Mikey?” Anna asked Frank. She figured she would lighten Frank's mood up before going back into the topic of his mother. Frank was quite fond of Gerard and Mikey. Whenever Anna let him ramble about them, a sparkle was in his eyes and a grin plastered on his face.

“They are good! They, they gave me a-a...huge! Huge party, big, big, big! It was, so nice. I cried, Gerard is so nice.” Frank laughed a bit. His therapist scribble down Frank's attraction toward the male.

Frank spend the next twenty minuets rambling about Mikey and Gerard, mainly Gerard. He told Anna everything about him and how he loved how artistic and creative he was. Frank was envious of him but not too much. The professional had to change the subject or else Frank would waste all the time they had.

“Frank, do you still feel upset about your mother?” Frank's smile vanished and so did his girlish giggles.

“Upset..yes.”

“You know we talked about this before, Frank. You know your mom is ill. She needs help.”

“You could help her.” Frank spoke up, looking at his doctor with hope in his eyes.

“I'm not trained for that Frank.” Anna told him and the hope vanished. “She's going to get help. She will be better.”

“She was better.” Frank whimpered, bottom lip quivering. “She..she hugged me. She-She, never hugged me, before. It was....warm...love, filled with, love. She smiled, at me. She was...She was my mom.” Frank bit his lip and Anna watched as Frank did something he never did before.

Hold in his tears.

His eyes were red and glassy but Frank refused to let them fall. He was bottling it up, just like his anger. Anna saw this and began to feel sick. This was unhealthy. This was dangerous.

“Frank, you know you can express yourself. You don't have to hide it.” Anna reached out for Frank's hand but stopped when her door was opened up.

“Your one o'clock is here.” Susan Loid, Anna's receptionist, announced. Anna just nodded but knew she could not allowed Frank to leave in this state.

Frank seemed unstable and a danger to himself. Anna told Frank it was time to leave before she excused herself to go talk to Marie.

“Frank is in a very vulnerable moment right now. I wish I had more time with him but my next appointment is here. Please, is anything happens to don't hesitate to call me. Pay attention to his behavior and make sure you give him attention. Perhaps, take him out for ice cream or to the zoo?” Anna said and Marie nodded. Frank exited the room and the Iero family said goodbye to Anna.

The therapist sighed and welcomed her next patient, Ashley.

She sat down in her in her desk but froze as she stared down at her desk. Her eyes widened as she flipped through her notebook. Every page of information she had about Frank that day was gone. Every page was covered in large, bold, black X's. Right where the notebook was, a black sharpie lay right beside it. A small black sad face was written on the desk along with a small note.

Maybe it isn't mommy who needs help.
♠ ♠ ♠
Recs: 70
Readers: 287
Subscribers: 135
Comments: 229

Yo.
So, I have four more written out chapters left before. But in class, I planned out the next 11. So hopefully, I can start updating more often. No promises.

You guys like the chapter?