Folie à Deux

27

If home is where the heart is then we’re all just fucked.

Even though Mia wasn’t getting much sleep at night, she found herself dozing at different times throughout her day. She fell asleep on the couch, or in the bath, or leaning her head on Pete’s shoulder as they watched TV. But it wouldn’t last long, and when she woke up, she felt worse.

“Do you want to move back to our apartment?” he asked her one day. She had almost been asleep, head resting oh so comfortably on his shoulder. She straightened up and looked around before bursting into tears. “Mia?”

She couldn’t speak. All she wanted to do was sleep but nothing seemed to be working. Her head and eyelids felt heavy all the time, and then she would lay down at night, ready for sleep to roll over her in a wave of relief that would never come. She was just frustrated, and tired. So tired, that she used what little energy she had and cried.

Pete wrapped his arms around her thin frame carefully. He didn’t know what else to do or say. He knew Mia probably didn’t want to hear anything from him, even if he understood what she was going through… there really weren’t any words that could be comforting at this point in time.

“I want to move back in with you,” she finally choked out, wet face pressed against his chest.

And I want it so bad I’d shoot the sunshine into my veins.

“I’m scared,” she whispered as she lay in Pete’s arms, back in their apartment and their bed. Everything seemed familiar and unfamiliar at the same time.

“What are you scared of?” he asked. She didn’t say anything for a while.

“I don’t want to lose you again,” she said, her eyes meeting his. They were dark and intense as if she could see into the depths of his core. “I need you.”

He moved his face the few inches that were between them and pressed his lips softly to hers. For once in his life, he wasn’t sure how to respond to what she had said. He didn’t know what would be appropriate, so he just kissed her softly. The kiss lasted hardly a minute, but it was the best thing that had happened to them in a while.

“I’ll always be here for you,” Pete whispered. Mia slept that night.

Chasing the direction you went, you’re a bottled star.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry about Pete and Mia confusing everyone... Hopefully things will make sense in the next few chapters? I don't know... I'm trying to make sense of it.

Anyways, thanks for commenting!

~Sally

Oh, and I have a new username now!