Folie à Deux

I Don't Care

Erase myself and let go.

Pete was late from work again. Mia wished that they could go without this happening, especially when he didn’t call. This is where their problems usually started. One of them would be late from work, one of them would be suspicious, one of them would be angry, and then they would both be angry. It was a never ending circle and neither of them seemed to have the ability to break free of it; they were both jealous people and nothing seemed to change that fact.

She sat on the couch trying to control her breathing, trying to watch the rerun of some sitcom. But she wasn’t paying attention. She couldn’t focus. The longer she went without hearing from Pete the more she worried. She worried most that he had found some girl who was prettier, had bigger boobs, didn’t fight with him… She hated thinking like this, but these thoughts were ones she had tried and failed to avoid.

Pete did the same thing. She could easily recall nights when she had worked late and just forgot to call, and Pete would be here, waiting for her, his eyes nervous when she arrived, followed by suspicion, which quickly transitioned into anger.

Sweat it out, shut your mouth.

She thought she’d be fine, that she could get over this and they could both just be content for the evening, but the smell of alcohol on his breath pushed her over the edge.

“You’re a fucking bastard, you know that?” she snarled at him, eyes blazing.

Pete leaned his back against the closed door of their apartment, shutting his eyes.

“Here we go again,” he muttered. “Can’t I just have one fucking night to myself?”

“What do you need a night to yourself for?” Mia asked. “So you can find some lucky girl to suck your dick for five minutes? Is that what you want?”

“I’m going to bed,” Pete said, pushing himself away from the door and trying to get to their bedroom.

“Hey, I’m talking to you.” She pushed his shoulder as he walked past and he turned swiftly, grabbing her wrist tightly. She tugged hard, but he wouldn’t give. “Let go of me.”

“No. If you want to talk, we’re going to talk,” he snapped.

It was as Pete was shoving her into the nearest wall that she realized they were easily falling back into that same routine that had caused her to leave. She didn’t want to leave again.

“Pete,” she said quietly. His hand was still gripping her wrist tightly and she looked into his eyes to see they were dark with anger. They softened slightly and his hand loosened around her wrist. “We need to stop doing this. This is why I tried leaving you.”

He leaned into her, resting his forehead on the wall directly beside her head.

“You know I love you right?” he whispered. “You know I wouldn’t cheat on you?”

“Yes. Just call me or let me know when you’re going to be home late,” she said, pulling her wrist from his hand so she could wrap her arms around him. “I just worry.”

The best of us can find happiness in misery.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks again to everyone who's been commenting! I really appreciate it!

~Sally