Folie à Deux

Headfirst Slide Into Cooperstown On A Bad Bet

When he walks into the room the walls lean in to listen.

Mia was beyond pissed. In all the time she had been with Pete, she had never been this angry with him. He hadn’t called and it was almost midnight. She had called all of their friends and his friends, but no one had seen him.

Of course, she had been worried, but then she figured the only explanation was that he was cheating. Why else would he be this late and not be with any of his friends?

When he finally did stumble into the apartment, he barely had time to shut the door when Mia shoved him into the nearest wall.

“Where were you?!” she shouted, face right in his. Pete turned his face away from her; he could feel her anger seeping out of her in great waves. But of course, he knew this is what he deserved. “Where were you? Answer me!”

She had him by the shoulders shaking him as she continued to ask him. Why wouldn’t he just answer her?

It didn’t take long for the dam to break, and before she knew it, she was sobbing into his shoulder.

“Please, just tell me where you were,” she said, voice scratchy from yelling and crying. “Please.”

Her hands clutched at his t-shirt and she buried her face in the crook of his neck. He didn’t smell like Pete. And that’s how she knew.

I don’t just want to be a footnote in someone else’s happiness.

She pushed away from him quickly and slapped him sharply across his face. The apartment was dead silent as she watched him, waiting for him to react, waiting for him to deny it, or push her or just something. She didn’t expect to see him slide down the wall, sitting in defeat on the floor as he hid his face in his hands, shoulders shaking as he cried silently.

Mia was in complete shock. She could almost feel her heart breaking as she watched this man that she loved… that she thought she knew, proving to her that he had in fact cheated on her. She felt nauseas, she couldn’t think. All she could do was stare at him in disbelief.

“Why?” she finally cried, backing away from him as he continued to sit there, half the man she thought he was. “How could you do this to me?”

Oh darling, I know what you’re going through.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for commenting; love you all!

~Sally