Folie à Deux

The (Shipped) Gold Standard

Sometimes I wanna quit this all and become an accountant now.

She felt tired. Worn out, exhausted, drained.

Zoe had a guest room in her apartment, and Mia was thankful for that. She wished she could repay Zoe in some way for being such a great sister, but Mia just didn’t have the energy. All she wanted to do was sleep.

When she did manage to get out of bed on occasion, she wanted to climb right back into the bed and hide under the covers. She felt heavy; so, so heavy. It took so much of Mia’s effort to move her limbs, to make her way to the bathroom or the kitchen for food that she didn’t want to eat.

I wanna scream “I love you” from the top of my lungs.

It didn’t take long before she didn’t even want to sleep anymore. She had started to dream about him, dream about Pete.

Sometimes they were wonderful, Pete grinning at her and kissing her softly, stroking her hair. Sometimes they were bad, Pete with faceless women in dark hotel rooms.

Either way, the dreams tore at her heart. She would wake up to her sister, arms around her trying to calm her down, trying to stop the tears, trying to stop the pain.

Oh, the pain. It was unbearable at times and she didn’t know how much longer she could take it.

But I’m afraid that someone else might hear me.

The pain of everything was slowly getting to her. She still loved Pete, still wanted him. But she didn’t think she could handle being around him after what had happened.

So she continued to suffer. She couldn’t sleep, couldn’t eat. Was Pete suffering this much?

And all at once the pain became unbearable. She found some painkillers in the bathroom, easily swallowing a few. When they didn’t help, she took more and more, until Zoe found her slouched on the floor leaning against the bathtub, on the edge of unconsciousness.

As soon as we hit the hospital I know we’re gonna leave this town.
♠ ♠ ♠
Half way done! Only 7 more chapters.

~Sally