Folie à Deux

(Coffee's For Closers)

I want everything to change and stay the same.

Everything hurt. Only this time it wasn’t emotional pain, it was physical. Head, throat, stomach. She was extremely sore.

As quickly as she had awoken, she drifted off into sleep.

When she woke again, Zoe was there. She was still sore. She remembered taking the pain killers and she looked away from her sister who was crying.

“I’m sorry,” Mia mumbled, finding her throat raw and dry. Zoe just squeezed her hand, staying silent.

Oh time doesn’t care about anyone or anything.

Before she knew it she was back in her room at Zoe’s. She could hear her sister talking to someone on the phone in the next room, but couldn’t make out what she was saying.

“Pete visited you while you were in the hospital,” Zoe said quietly that night when she came to sit on Mia’s bed. She didn’t say anything. “Do you want to see him? He keeps calling.”

“I don’t know,” Mia finally whispered, staring at the wall next to her bed.

Either way he was suddenly there the next night, standing unsurely in the doorway, watching Mia carefully. Her eyes met his briefly before looking away from him. She didn’t know what to say, and neither did he.

Only get lonely when you read the charts.

Somehow, Pete had ended up lying next to her in her bed. Neither of them had said anything yet, and they found it better that way.

Mia almost wanted to get away from Pete, almost didn’t want him to be there. Almost. If she was being completely honest with herself at this point in time, she needed him.

She reached a tentative hand forward, running her fingers through Pete’s hair. She studied his face as he watched her, and she couldn’t help but notice the dark circles under his eyes and that his face didn’t look as full.

“Are you okay?” she finally whispered. Pete frowned.

“I hurt you, and you’ve just tried to end your life, and you’re asking me if I’m okay?” he questioned.

“You don’t look well,” Mia said even more quietly.

“Don’t worry about me,” he mumbled. “I want to apologize, but I know it’s not enough.”

“Can we talk about it some other time? I’m tired.”

“Do you want me to leave?” Pete asked.

“No,” Mia answered after a moment.

She wasn’t sure yet if she could forgive Pete for what he did, but she couldn’t ignore the fact that she loved him. And because he was there, and she just needed someone, she allowed him to wrap his arms around her as she buried her face in her favorite spot, relieved to find that he smelled like his usual self.

I love the mayhem more than the love.