Cheating Death

.003

It was already dark when he reached the crossroads. It still looked the same after nearly ten years. The same yellow yarrows framed the crossroads along with the old water tower and abandoned shed. Brian pulled out a small tin tobacco box and opened it. Inside was a pinch of graveyard dirt, a small black cat’s bone, and a photo of himself. He sifted through the contents with his finger, assuring he had everything he needed.

Satisfied, he walked to the centre of the crossroads and lowered himself to one knee. He pawed out a hole in the gravel and placed the tobacco box in the hole before covering it up completely. Straightening up, he searched all around him for the demon he had met nearly ten years ago. All he saw was pitch darkness stretching out in the countryside. Panic thrummed in his chest. What if the Demon wouldn’t come back and he would be left to his panic stricken last days on earth? He was definitely wasn’t ready to die.

“You got to be kidding me,” A voice eroded Brian’s fears of failing this venture. He sighed and turned around to the speaker. A very attractive blond woman was standing behind him, hand on her hip. Her heavy lidded eyes glowed red for a second before fading to a tired and annoyed blue. “You have no idea how many humans have come back after ten years begging for more. That doesn’t work that way. You got what you wanted and ten years is all you will ever get out of it.”

“But-But there had to be a way,” Brian sputtered, disbelieving. There had to be a way. In his heart he had no doubt that he could get around his damned life. There definitely had to be a way. But the crossroads demon seemed to disagree.

“Just shut up already,” She snorted, articulating each word. “I could get the hellhounds to take you right there and then… if you want.” At her words, four hellhounds appeared around them, panting, pawing and waiting. Brian shivered in their presence. He shook his head, fumbling over words as he stumbled backwards. He jumped to a still as one hound behind him snapped at the tails of his black coat.

“N-no, please, don’t.” He looked around him tentatively, arms outstretched defensively. The hounds had begun to circle.

“You’re such a delicious human, you know,” The demon continued, ignoring Brian’s stuttering. “So narcissistic and full of sin. You would become a perfect demon. It would be a shame to lose that pretty face. It’s so tempting to take you here and now…” The hellhounds circled closer, making Brian sweat. The demon seemed to suggest something that would give Brian what he was looking for. Maybe becoming a demon would aid him to stay on this earth even longer.

“What does it take to be a demon?” he was at least considering it. The demon was chuckling in delight, clapping her hands at Brian’s devilish deeds.

“A one way ticket to hell and we will find ways to… tweak you just a little bit. It might take you a while, but it will happen,” She said as she flicked her hand.

“How long?”

“I don’t know, a few hundred years?” she shrugged. To her, a few hundred years were nothing. But for Brian, that was way too long. He couldn’t possibly fathom how long he would wait for, of about multiple lifetimes. There had to be something else. After all, there were four weeks left of his earthly existence to find something.

“I’ll take the four remaining weeks, thanks.” Brian finished coolly.

“Fine. You’re good as dead anyway,” The demon shooed away her hellhounds, which seemed to fade into the chilly night. Suddenly, a crackling gunshot sliced through the air and the demon stumbled backwards. She composed herself, rubbing at her chest where she was shot at. “That hurt.” She groaned dramatically, staring beyond Brian. He turned around to find Sam and Dean, a smoking barrel of a rifle in Dean’s hand.

“Get here, that thing is not to be trusted!” Sam yelled out to him, beckoning.

“They have no idea, don’t they!” the demon chuckled at Brian. Now, Brian was very confused at this turn of events. How did Sam and Dean find him here? How did they know about the demon? What exactly would become of him now? Uselessly, he switched his attention around the two opposing parties.

“Just get the hell over here.” Dean pressed to Brian, aiming the gun to the demon and giving her a burning stare. Brian didn’t budge.

“Just trust me. You wouldn’t want to make this deal,” Sam went for the gentler approach. The demon rolled her eyes and twirled to leave once again. She stopped for a moment and gave a finger wave to Brian over her shoulder.

“See you soon.” She only said with a wink before completely disappearing. Dean lowered his rifle as he strode towards to Brian. He clutched the other man’s shirt as he gave him a burning stare. Sheepishly, the guilty man shrank under his glare.

“What the hell are you thinking? Making deals with a demon! That got to be the last thing you ever want to do,” All Brian had to respond to Dean’s tirade was to hang his head in shame with a sigh. Now everything had gone terribly bad. More people now knew about his business and it was the last thing he wanted. Dean finally let go of him and walked away, muttering “stupid, stupid, stupid…” under his breath. Sam was now studying Brian, who sent back a defensive glare with his palms up.

“What!”

“What was that with the “you’re good as dead” thing?” Sam questioned, mimicking the demon’s voice. “Did you already make the deal?” his scrutiny made Brian uncomfortable. He sighed and walked to his car, which was parked not too far.

“Let’s go somewhere and talk about this, okay?” Brian answered weakly before entering his car and starting it. He was feeling very tired from the day’s occurrences and the sheer disappointment of the results made his eye twitch with stress. It was nothing like he had imagined upon meeting the demon. He thought that he would negotiate his ass off and manage to get away with at least something, no matter how small it was. And he sure had done a piss poor job at negotiating. He needed at least something now.
♠ ♠ ♠
1,082 words.

Thank you for reading. :3