Status: ^-^

Don't Tell Me You've Gone Astray

Chapter 9

I miss him.

That's the only reason I'm back here. I'm watching Frank playfully flirt with two girls sitting at one of the tables across the room. He doesn't really like them. He's just doing his job. They don't know that, though. They think the "cute tattooed boy that works at the diner" is actually into them. I almost feel bad for them. Secondhand embarrassment.

Frank sees me. His eyebrows raise as if he's surprised to see me. He shouldn't be. I'm here almost Saturday morning. He knows this.

"Can I get you anything?" He asks, coming to my table.

"Yeah. I'll have a coffee."

I don't know why he even bothers to ask. I always order coffee.

"Alright. I'll bring it out in a minute."

He's not acting as angry as I expected. I'm not sure if it's because he's not angry at me anymore or he's just trying to act professional while he's working. I'm guessing the latter. He arrives with my coffee.

"Thank you."

"Gerard. I'm going on break in five minutes. I need to talk to you."

My chest tightens. What could he possibly want from me? Did something happen? My worst fear is that Bert told him something. I don't know what it could be. That's what scares me the most; not knowing.

The next five minutes drag on for hours. My half-empty cup of coffee sits on the table in front of me. I don't want it anymore. I see Frank go outside and I follow him.

"What did you want?" I ask.

Frank puts a cigarette to his lips and lights it. I wait impatiently.

"I love you, Gerard."

What?

I'm shocked. I don't know what to do. Where is this coming from?

"I hate us being mad at each other." He continues. "I'm willing to forgive you if you're willing to earn my trust back."

I know I have the most ridiculous smile on my face.

"Okay."

Frank laughs at my reaction and kisses me lightly on the nose. I'm not sure where his change of heart came from, but I don't question it.

"You have to promise not to talk to Bert ever again, though."

That's not too much to ask. I haven't spoken to him since he punched me. I instinctively reach up and touch my bruised jaw. It's still purple but, it's not very sore anymore.

"I promise."

Frank wraps his arms around my neck. I hug him back. He feels warm in contrast to the chilly weather.

I'm in love with Frank Iero.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm terrible at endings. There's one more chapter after this one. I'm surprised this story got as many readers as it did considering it started off as a 350 word one shot. Thanks for reading! By the way, the title is from pillars by Sunny Day Real Estate.