‹ Prequel: I'm Not All That
Sequel: Till Death Us Do Part

It's Been Four Years

College Year 3

Dean was lounging on the sofa watching TV when the front door opened. Castiel smiled at him, kicking his shoes off and dropping his bag on the armchair. Dean smirked.

"Good day?"

Cas nodded, looking around nervously. Dean noticed his boyfriend's odd behaviour and sat up.

"...Cas?"

Before Cas could open his mouth, his coat pocket mewed. Blushing, Castiel reached in to his breast pocket and pulled out a tiny grey tabby kitten. Dean frowned as it let out another mew

"Tell me you didn't."

"He was the last one in the box, he was all alone! And he has your eyes!" Cas argued. Dean sighed as Cas cuddled the kitten to his chest. The tiny beast purred and swiped playfully at Cas' fingers as Castiel tried to stroke him.

"Please can we keep him, Dean? He has no one else to look after him."

"How are we supposed to look after him? I work, you're studying!"

"Please Dean? I promise I'll take care of him!"

Castiel pouted. He rarely used his kicked-puppy look, but when he did Dean didn't stand a chance. Dean let out a long sigh.

"You train him, you look after him, you take him to the vets..."

Cas grinned, rushing forward on to Dean's lap, pulling him in to a tight hug and depositing the kitten on the sofa beside them.

"Thank you, Dean!"

"Yeah yeah... No more rescue pets, okay?"

**

Dean sighed loudly and grabbed after the four-legged-fiend which had appropriated his sock; "get off you little dick!"

The kitten - which had yet to be named - ducked under the sofa. Dean growled and fell to his hands and knees.

"Cas is doing a fucking bang-up job training you! Give me my fucking sock!"

He glanced around the room for a toy to coax out the kitten with. He spotted a piece of string with a toy mouse attached to one end and dangled it around.

"Come on... It's not like I've got work or anything!"

A small grey paw suddenly batted out from under the sofa. A few seconds later it's tiny head poked out too, Dean's sock in his mouth. It pawed at the mouse again, following as Dean began pulling it away slowly. It dropped the sock and pounced. Dean dropped the toy and made a grab at his sock, quickly pulling it on to his foot before the kitten changed it's mind.

"Idiot! I'll be having words with Cas about you! You're just trouble!"

The kitten looked up at him, the toy mouses tail in it's mouth. Dean smirked, reaching out to pet him.

"You like that, huh? Trouble?"

The kitten mewed and pushed his head in to Dean's hand, purring loudly.

"Well, I'd love to sit and chat, but I've got to go to work. Your food's in the kitchen, if you've got to claw up anything Cas' socks are in the top drawer, don't kill yourself or set the apartment on fire. I'll see you later... Trouble."

The kitten mewed and watched Dean pull himself to his feet and finish getting ready for work. As he left, Dean sent a quick text to Castiel.

"Finally picked out a name he likes! Trouble."

A few minutes later his phone buzzed with a reply; "perfect."