Making Changes

In The Beginning

Why does it always have to rain when I’m out running?
Fiona O’Malley shut the door to her apartment and took a deep breath. Her wet hair and clothes clung to her body. Although it was summer, she shivered. Maybe that was because of the place she was living in. Before moving into this apartment she’d shared a flat with her best friend Anne. But now – alone - she couldn’t afford this place anymore.
Anne had married and moved to Seattle about a year ago. After nearly two years of living in this apartment, it still didn’t feel like a home. It was too quiet. She’d grown up with four older siblings, so their house was always filled with noise and laughter. Colin was the oldest of the bunch and ten years older than her. A cop with heart and soul.
Then there was Sheila, who wrote children’s books for a living, and Nigel who was an attorney and worked at the DA’s office in Seattle. Those three were married and had seven children altogether.
The thought of her nephews and nieces made Fiona smile. Along with Keegan, who with his thirty-three years was only four years older than her, she was the only one not married. Keegan had worked for the FBI for years, but quit two years ago. During an operation his partner was shot. After that he couldn’t stay there anymore. He moved back to Hiverton and took over one of the local pubs, The Blaring Horn.
She stripped out of her wet clothes and stepped in her shower.
God, that feels good. Nothing’s better than a hot shower. Okay there actually were a few things, but nothing would have felt as good as a shower right that minute.
The little run had been good for her. Calmed her nerves down. Sometimes it was even better than painting. Not that she was any good at that, but she enjoyed it. Even if it looked like different colored splotches on a piece of paper, it made her feel free and happy.
When she stepped out of the shower, she heard the doorbell ring.
Great.
She quickly patted her skin dry, put on the clothes she’d taken to the bathroom with her and wrapped a towel around her head. The doorbell rang again, making her roll her eyes.
“Hold your horses!” she called out, then in a lower voice added, “For crying out loud, what is it with people. No patience at all.”
Not that she was any better. Patience and serenity were not on the list of her virtues.
She walked the short hallway. When she passed the kitchen, she closed the door. Nobody needed to see the chaos in there. Pots and pans were lying around and she hadn’t had any time to clean up.
“Hey princess,” her brother said, when she opened the door. He hauled her into his arms, stepped inside and closed the door with his foot. “I thought I’d drop by to see how you’re doing.”
For a moment a feeling of remorse ran through her body. She hadn’t told Keegan yet, but she would do this now. About two weeks ago she’d quit her job of three years in an attorney’s office. Her dream had always been to get work in investigation, but her family hadn’t supported her. Being the baby of the family made her family’s worries increase. She shouldn’t be working in a dangerous environment. Everything her parents wanted from her was to settle down, get married and start a family.
Who said she couldn’t have both? Her former job had been more secretary work than anything else and she needed to make a change in her life before she died of boredom. So she’d quit her job and not told anyone in her family what she was up to. Not even Keegan. She loved him to bits, but she wanted to be sure first.
“I’m actually really good, just a little excited,” she said as she led him to the living room. Keegan stretched out on the loveseat, while Fiona sat down on a beanbag chair. “I start on my new job tomorrow.”
“What?” His brows shot up, giving her a good look at his deep green eyes so much like hers. They even had the same long, black lashes, that should make him look a little feminine, but didn’t. “Where?”
“At Third Eye Investigations in Seattle.” Fiona leaned back, leaving her eyes on her brother. She took the Towel from her head and combed her fingers through her hair. “I went there two days ago to introduce myself. I talked to the receptionist Miranda and the other man who works there. His name’s Dermot Rist and apparently he’s also a friend of the owner, who was on a case when I got there. But he’ll be there tomorrow. I’ll need to sign my contracts and then I can start right away. I still need his approval, but Miranda said that he always listens to his employees, when it’s about important decisions.”
“You’ll be working as a PI, then. Do Mom and Da know about this? Or Colin?”
Keegan knew about his sisters wishes and always supported her. She had a degree in psychology and criminology. This was the right field for her, but he was the only one in his family who thought so. Maybe that was because of his experience through the FBI. Maybe because he loved his little sis and wanted her to be happy more than anything.
Fiona shook her head: “No. I’ll tell them at Sunday dinner. By then I’ll know if it will really work out and if I’ll keep this job.”
“I’m happy for you, Fi.” Keegan smiled at his little sister and sat up straighter. She was twenty-nine years old, but sometimes she still looked like a vulnerable teenager to him. But he knew that she was a woman. A beautiful woman with shoulder-length brown hair with a couple of auburn streaks in it. They were only visible in the sun. He loved all his siblings, but with Fi there was a different kind of connection. They sometimes knew what the other one was thinking. He’d been away from his family for too long. Moving back to Hiverton after everything that had happened, had been the best decision.
“Thank you.” Fiona’s smile was so bright that it seemed to lighten up the whole room. “You hungry? There’s not much in the fridge, but we could order pizza.”
“Sounds like a good idea.” He rose to his feet and looked down at his sister. She was nearly swallowed by the beanbag chair. “You choose the pizza and I choose the movie we’ll watch. And I think I already know which DVD I’ll choose.”
“Please tell me, why I put up with you.” She rose from the bag, shaking her head. She tried hard to stay serious, but failed miserably and started giggling.
“Because nobody else can annoy you and make you laugh at the same time.”

The drive to Seattle took her exactly fifty-three minutes. She left her car in the parking lot and moved towards the building. Miranda and Dermot had assured her that there were no clothing regulations. She could wear whatever she wanted when she came to the office. When working outside she’d have to dress accordingly.
There she stood in her black ballet flats, dark jeans and green top. She also had a black blazer but it was definitely too warm to wear it now, so she pushed it into her purse along with her sunglasses. Her hair was held back with a claw. A few strands had escaped and framed her face now.
I can do this. I’m strong, I’m independent, I’m smart, I’m a fighter and I’m gorgeous.
Okay, maybe she didn’t really believe the gorgeous bit, but the rest was true. She took a deep breath, rearranged the strap of her purse and then entered the building. And as soon as she saw Miranda getting up from her desk, the tension in her shoulders eased. Miranda was in her mid-forties and had been with the firm right from the beginning.
“It’s so good to see you, darling.” She immediately hugged Fiona to her chest. “I made coffee. Would you like a cup?”
“Coffee sounds like a really good idea, thank you.” It was her first day and already she’d been handled with more care than in all of the three years in her last job.
“Your office is ready, but maybe you should first go and see Flynn to get those contracts settled.” Miranda handed her a cup of coffee, then settled back down in her chair. “Oh and just so you know, Dermot is out of the house for the day, working on a case.”
“Thanks for letting me know.”
Fiona took her things in her office first. She put her purse down in the bottom drawer of her desk and set the now half full cup of coffee down. It still looked a bit empty, but she would change that. Miranda had already put a plant in one corner of the room. It was missing color. She’d bring a couple of photos with her to put on her desk and she’d figure something out for the walls.
But first of all she needed to talk to her new boss now. She didn’t know what he looked like, but she was eager to find that out. After al she’d be working for him and with him for she didn’t know how long. Hopefully for a long time, but she could never be sure.
In front of his door she took another deep breath, then she knocked.
“Come in,” a deep voice sounded from within. She heard papers rustle, as she opened the door and stepped inside. Carefully she closed the door and then turned around to face the man who would be her new boss.
Sweet baby Jesus.
For a few seconds she stood there, staring. He wasn’t much older than her, probably close to Keegan’s age. His blonde hair was a little longer and nearly reached his blue-gray eyes. He wore jeans and a white button-down shirt with the sleeves rolled up, exposing his forearms. His smile made his eyes crinkle, when he stepped around the desk to offer her his hand. Something about this smile looked strangely familiar.
Fiona’s mind screamed: Want that. It made her cringe, because she couldn’t remember the last time she’d felt anything like that. Probably years ago.
I’m professional, I can do this.
“Hello, Mr Thompson,” she said, shaking his hand. Looking at his smile made her do the same. Smile. It came so naturally.
“Please don’t call me that.” He let go of her hand and indicated the chair. When she was seated he stepped around his desk once again and settled in his own comfortable chair. “My name is Flynn. Mr Thompson is my Dad.”
“Okay, then you can call me Fiona. Or Fi.”
“Good.” Flynn leaned back in his chair and watched her intently for a moment. Then he added: “Do you have a middle name?”
Usually she didn’t write her middle name down anywhere. Her mother had given her this name because of her great-grandmother, but nobody called her that. Even if they did, she wouldn’t react, because she wasn’t used to it.
“Yep. My full name is Fiona Tamsin O’Malley.”
“That’s good. So you can use your middle name for work. You can talk to people and introduce yourself as Tamsin. That way you don’t lie to them. I find it easier to investigate as Joshua instead of Rick for example. Joshua is still a part of me, if you know what I mean.” He smiled, leaned forward and scrutinized her again.
For a moment she sat there, trying to stay cool, but that didn’t work for long. There was something about the way he looked at her that freaked her out. She thought she saw something flicker in his eyes, but it was gone so fast again that it could have been a trick of her own mind, of her imagination or the light. It was really hard to concentrate around him, especially when he threw her that smile that made her nearly squirm in her seat.
“What?” she finally managed and could have hit herself over the head, because her voice didn’t carry any confidence.
“I’m sorry.” Flynn straightened in his seat and ran a hand through his hair. Shaking his head, he fixed his gaze on her once again. “This might sound weird, but are you related to a Keegan O‘Malley?”
What?
“He’s my brother.”
“I knew it!” A deep laugh rumbled through his chest and sent tingles along her spine. It made her own smile reappear on her face. “It’s not just the name. You two have the same eyes. I can’t believe it. So you’re the little sister he talked about.”
“Wait!” Fiona exclaimed. By now she sat at the edge of her chair and stared at her new boss in disbelief. “How the hell do you know my brother?”
“I dropped out of the FBI four years ago, but during my time there we worked together quite often. I can’t believe you’re his little sister. How is he?”
“He is fine. He came home two years ago and bought one of the bars in Hiverton.” Fiona was still shocked by this news. She looked at Flynn a little longer and then bells started ringing in her ears. Dingdingdingdingding. “Oh my God! You’re the one in the photo. You two were in Italy together. That’s why you looked so familiar.”
“Yes we were.” Flynn shook his head, trying to push the memories aside. He needed to get back to business, which was hard enough with Fiona seated in front of him. Thinking about old times distracted him even more. “We should probably get your contracts settled so you can start. As much as I would love to talk about Kee and the past, we should leave that till later.”
“Yes, you’re right.” Fiona said with a smile. Scooting her chair closer to the desk, she stole another glance at Flynn, who pulled a drawer open and extracted some papers. She’d always thought the man in the picture was good-looking, but seeing him in person…
Damn, why does he have to be so hot? Couldn’t he be some old guy with a beer-belly, smoking cigars all the time? I’ll have to work together with him. I can do that. My body is just responding because I haven’t even kissed a man in over a year. That’s perfectly natural.
Her body could react all it wanted, but she didn’t have to do anything about it, did she?

Hot damn!
Miranda had told him her name, but until he saw her, he hadn’t even thought about Keegan. Why would he? They’d been on first-name terms basically from the beginning. The only times when he’d heard his last name was when they were questioning witnesses. In the office they’d called each other by first names most of the time.
After his resignation from the FBI he’d stayed in contact with some of the agents but only for a short time. Six months later he’d been so busy with work and everybody else had moved on, too. He would have loved to stay in contact with Keegan.
And now his sister was working for him.
“I’ll be damned,” Flynn muttered under his breath and leaned back. A smile tilted his lips up. He’d heard enough stories about Fiona O’Malley, but Keegan had only referred to her as Fi or princess. A nickname he had given her when they were kids. Still he hadn’t made the connection when he read her name.
And he’d never seen a picture of her, otherwise he would have taken it away from Keegan to get his own copy. She was stunning! Her brown hair probably reached her shoulders. A few freckles grazed her nose and cheeks. He’d thought her eyes were amazing, but her smile overcame that. It made the apples of her cheeks rise in a way that made her eyes look crescent-shaped.
And then there was her body. Hoo, boy!
She was about nine inches shorter than him. She was lean and he knew from her file that she did a lot of running in her free time to keep fit. That would explain her shapely ass. He’d gotten a good look at that when she left the room.
Stop it, Flynn. She’s your employee.
Still, there was nothing wrong with watching. And it wouldn’t go any further. She might be the most gorgeous woman he’d seen in a very long time, but that didn’t mean anything. He’d been keeping his emotions under control for a very long time and he wouldn’t get off track by a nice body and a beautiful face. In a few days he’d probably be used to seeing her.

“Tell me about Flynn Thompson,” Fiona demanded as soon as she sat down in The Blaring Horn that evening. Only the regulars were here tonight, so Keegan had enough time to talk to his sister. Only one of the waitresses, Jillian Lloyd, was working. Keegan worked the bar himself.
“How do you know Flynn?” he asked, putting a bottle of Becks in front of her. Like him Fiona had spent time in Europe. She’d lived in Italy, England, Ireland and Germany for a year altogether. And she’d learned to love German beer. When he introduced it to the people of Hiverton, they didn’t even want to try it. But once his father had sat there, enjoying a bottle of Becks, other people came up to him and tried it. Since then it sold quite well. Fiona was one of his best customers.
“Well, guess who my new boss is.” She took the bottle and drained half of it in one gulp. It had been an easy first day, but tomorrow would be tougher. Miranda had given her a file to work with, to start gathering information before she would meet with the parents the next day.
“No way!” Keegan’s eyes widened in surprise. He ran a hand through his short, light-brown hair and shook his head. “That’s a coincidence. I haven’t talked to him in ages. How is he? Is he married? I remember he wanted to propose to his girlfriend, when he quit the FBI.”
Fiona sat up straight. Married? No, he couldn’t be. She’d always been good at remembering the small details. Screwing up her eyes she thought back and found herself once again in his office.
There was a notebook on top of the desk, but no framed pictures. Only one on the wall, but that was from a group of guys in suits. She focused on him and tried hard not to concentrate on his face. No wedding ring.
“I don’t think he’s married. No wedding ring and no photos of any woman in his office.” She took another pull on her bottle. “That doesn’t rule it out of course. Just stating the facts here.”
“Okay.” Keegan leaned one hip against the counter, folded his arms over his chest and observed his sister. “What do you want to know?”
“Why did he quit the FBI?” It was the question that had been burning a hole in her brain since this morning.
“You’re jumping right in, aren’t you?” A smug smile played on his lips. Before he could answer though, he had work to do. He made Jillian’s order ready and then turned to Fiona again. “You remember that huge abduction and murder case from a few years back?”
“That guy who mutilated his victims and moved from one coast to another?”
“Yes that one.”
“Hard to forget something like that.” Fiona sighed and rested her chin in her hand.
The case had been all over the news. Altogether there had been sixteen women between seventeen and twenty-three years of age who’d been abducted. They were usually found a week after they’d gone missing, somewhere in a forest. Sometimes they never found all the body parts. Fingers, hands, feet or legs were chopped off while they were still alive.
A shiver ran down Fiona’s spine when she thought back to that. It had been a case that had shocked the whole country. Especially after Robert Freeland had been set free again. They were so sure about him, but he was rich and had one of the best attorneys money could buy. And so he’d been acquitted. Not even a month later he’d been killed, but they couldn’t find the man who had done it.
“Then you know how the story ended.” Fiona nodded, still keeping her eyes firm on Keegan. “Flynn was involved in that case. He’d spent a lot of time questioning people, doing research, driving around. He was so close to saving the last victim. If he’d only been there five minutes earlier, she would still be alive.” Keegan shook his head and leaned forward. “After the trial, he freaked out. I would have probably done the same. He didn’t want to work there anymore, because people, who clearly were guilty, were set free.”
“I can understand that.” She emptied her bottle and signaled her brother to get her a new one. It was good that she didn’t have to pay here. But she was the only one out of her family. Everyone else had to pay for their drinks. Maybe that was because her brothers usually drank more than one or two bottles of beer. “But he couldn’t give up the work, so he established his own business. Smart move.”
“Yeah and you’re working for him now. How was your first day by the way?” Keegan put the bottle down in front of her and opened one for himself. He usually didn’t drink anything while he was working, but that story brought memories back that didn’t have a place in his mind today. And he didn’t want to let his sister sit there and drink all by herself.
“Okay. I only had paperwork and research to do. Tomorrow will be my first real day. I’ll meet my clients then.”
“What is this?” Keegan suddenly leaned forward and ran his thumb below her ear. He looked closely at his thumb, then back at his sister. “Have you been painting again?”
“Um.” Dumbfounded she looked at him. Keegan knew that she ran for relaxing but also for fitness. Painting was something she only did to calm down and get her mind off things. If she admitted to it, then he’d definitely want to know why. And she couldn’t lie to her brother. Hell he was a former FBI agent and profiler.
“Don’t even try to deny it. Why else would I find paint beneath your ear?” He raised an eyebrow and crossed his arms again. “Except when it’s edible. That’s a good reason.”
She threw a napkin at him, which only made him chuckle. “Yes, I spent some time painting when I got home, what’s wrong with that?”
“Maybe you want to tell me why you did that.” Keegan leaned forward again, laid his hand on hers and gave it a comforting squeeze. His quizzical gaze was now replaced with one of utter concern.
“Don’t look at me like this.” Fiona laughed it off. “I’m fine. Seriously.” And she was. The only thing that had made her paint had been the six foot four man that had nearly knocked her off her feet with his smile.
“Is it because of Flynn?”
“No!” Her protest must have been a little too vehement, because his smile reappeared. She could feel the heat climb up her neck and her face. Her cheeks were probably ruby-red.
“You like him!” Keegan’s smile grew even wider. “Good for you. It has been how long now since –“
“DON’T say his name,” Fiona interrupted, before Keegan could say anything more. She didn’t want to go there again. All that happened more than a year ago and she was doing fine now. She didn’t need to think about this right now. “Please. You’ve already done enough when you went there and beat the crap out of him.”
“And I’d do it all over again, Fi.”
“I know and I appreciate it.” She leaned over the bar and pressed a kiss to his cheek. “And Flynn’s my boss, so it’s not that good, that I think I’m attracted to him.”
“Nobody says that any of you has to do anything about this. I’m just happy that you’ve finally moved on and are interested in a man again.” And he really was. Fiona had gone through a messy relationship. Her ex-boyfriend had been a degrading son-of-a-bitch with anger issues. He’d made her lose weight, because he thought she was fat. When he’d hit her the second time, Fiona had finally turned to Keegan for help. She hadn’t expected him to do anything to that asshole, just help her get her stuff. But Keegan had gone there again.
“Yay for me.” Her voice oozed with sarcasm, but there was a little smile on her lips anyway.

After seeing her clients out the next day, Fiona stayed outside a little longer. It was a beautiful, warm day and she could use a little time to herself, to breathe in fresh air. It had been a little too much for her, too overwhelming.
Yesterday she’d already gathered information about the family. Walter and Debbie Luff were both working, they had a beautiful house and three children. Their oldest one, Starla, went missing four days ago. The police were looking for her, but they didn’t find anything. They haven’t come up with anything until now, which is why they turned to Third Eye Investigations. They wanted to try everything to find their daughter and who could blame them? She was gone for four days and they haven’t seen nor heard anything.
In the beginning Fiona hadn’t thought about anything bad. At the age of 15 she’d run away from home more than once and reappeared a day later, or even earlier, because her father was a cop and so was Colin. It hadn’t been a hardship to find her in a town like Hiverton where everyone knew each other. And if she did run away to Seattle there were a lot of people her father knew who would report her back.
It wasn’t the same with Starla. With a little digging Fiona found out more before her parents came to the office and it sent chills down her back. She researched missing persons and found a connection. It could all be a coincidence. But Fiona didn’t believe in coincidence. She didn’t tell the parents though. She still had to take a look at Starla’s room and talk to her friends. Maybe she was overreacting.
There were already two girls missing. All three girls were around the same age, had long dark hair and basically looked a lot alike. The first girl went missing about four weeks ago, the second one two weeks later. They hadn’t found them yet, which could be good sing. Fiona had a strong feeling that these cases were connected. Even though the police didn’t think so. Maybe she could get something out of Colin, but therefore she’d have to tell her family about her new job.
“Well, you don’t look so happy.” The deep timbre of his voice made the hairs at the back of Fiona’s neck stand up. Flynn stood in front of her, one hand casually in his jeans pocket, in the other one he held a bag that sent a scent her way that made her stomach growl. She hadn’t eaten much that morning and it was obviously time to eat. “What’s wrong?”
For a few seconds she simply stared at him. He looked even better than yesterday in his well-worn jeans and gray T-shirt that matched the color of his eyes. She got up from where she was sitting, pushed a strand of hair behind her ear and looked up at him again.
“The case seems to be a little bigger than we assumed.” She sighed heavily, pinching the bridge of her nose. “Of course that can all be a coincidence, but that’s something I don’t believe in.”
“Me neither.” Flynn combed his fingers through his thick, blond hair. “Come on. I think you could use lunch and I’ve got enough. You can tell me over the food what’s going on.”
Flynn took her elbow and led her back inside. Once they were seated he handed her a Sandwich from a little restaurant down the street, which looked even better than it smelled.
“I hope you’re not a vegetarian, because there’s meat on both sandwiches.” Flynn took a huge bite out of his and leaned back in his chair.
“Are you kidding me?” Fiona raised an eyebrow. Her mouth watered from the rich smell. “First of all my family would disown me. Second: I couldn’t survive even two days without meat.”
He laughed at that, a deep belly laugh that made her laugh too. When the giggles subsided, she was finally able to dig into her sandwich. God, this was good. Especially after not having eaten anything proper the whole day. Her breakfast had been an apple and a cup of coffee. Savoring the taste, she even closed her eyes for a moment.
Seeing that, Flynn had to swallow hard. The way she enjoyed her food made him think of other things, he wasn’t supposed to think of. He had to get back on track fast, before she spied him watching her or something worse.
“Okay. So tell me about the case.”
“You already know some of the details,” Fiona said and put the sandwich aside. “Fifteen-year-old girl went missing four days ago. The police haven’t found anything. Her friends don’t seem to know anything and she’s never run away before. She’s actually quite a good student, plays piano. She’s got lessons at the music school on Wednesdays.” She leaned forward and propped her elbows on his desk. “What I found out today is that two other girls, who look a lot like Starla, went missing in the last few weeks. So far nobody has seen them and they haven’t turned up dead. I didn’t tell the parents. I have to go there later this day to take a look at Starla’s room. So far the girls don’t have that much in common except that two of them went to the same school. And I know that Kelly, one of the missing girls, plays the violin and takes lessons at the same music school, Starla went to.”
“That does sound like a connection.” Flynn scratched his slightly stubbled chin, looking at her with intent eyes. She was good, even better than he’d thought before. “Since this is your first case here, I’d like to offer you my help. If it’s really what you think it is and Starla is the third in a series of abductions, then you definitely won’t be handling this alone. We do the bigger cases together all the time. Okay before it was just Dermot and me, but he’s out most of the time because of his own case. And I’m free. Not that I don’t think that you can do that alone, but together we can probably get this solved faster.”
Fiona didn’t have to think about this for long. She’d wanted to do work like this for years and now she had the chance, but it was bigger than she’d thought.
“First of all thank you,” she said. She ran a hand through her hair, desperate for some hairclips or at least a scrunchy. Letting her hair fall back in her face, she raised her eyes to meet his. “And I would love the help.”
Even though it meant spending much more time with him. Maybe that wasn’t so bad. She would get used to seeing him faster. And she’d also get used to his smell. And by God he smelled good. Fiona couldn’t really describe it, but she clearly smelled it over the scent of the sandwiches. And it made her stomach growl for something more than food.
Maybe it wasn’t such a good idea to work together on this.
Flynn thought the same. Looking at her over the table with her hair falling back in her face again and again made his mind do a little wandering again. He needed all his strength to concentrate on what they were talking about. He would get used to that. He had to.
“Then we should finish the sandwiches and then I’ll drive to the Luff’s house with you, so we can take a look around together.”
Fiona nodded and finished off the rest of her sandwich. But there was something still on her mind and it didn’t have anything to do with the case. She pondered over whether to ask him or not, but in the end decided to do it.
“I talked to Keegan yesterday,” she began and tried to find the right words. “He’s eager to see you again. He asked how you were and if you’re married. He said something about you wanting to propose to you girlfriend.”
“Oh God,” Flynn groaned and rubbed a hand over his face. He didn’t like to remember this, but something about Fiona made him open his mouth. “I did propose, but she turned me down. Said I’d been away so much that she found someone else. An old friend of mine. Which is why I didn’t stay in Chicago and moved here. I’d already spent a lot of time in Seattle, knew some people and I liked it here.”
“I’d say that’s her loss then.” Fiona couldn’t believe that she’d really said that. She probably should have said that she was sorry, but somehow she didn’t. She needed to do that now. “I mean, I’m sorry, that must have been hard for you.”
“It was, but that was long ago.” A little smile tilted his lips upwards. She wasn’t sorry, he could sense that. At least not sorry, that he wasn’t married. “Still single and I’m okay with that. What about you?”
“It’s your choice so why would I have a problem with you being single?” she cocked her head to one side, trying to keep a blank expression and she succeeded.
The way she delivered that made him burst out laughing again and she joined in.
“Seriously now,” Flynn said after a calming breath, still grinning at her. “Are you with anyone, Fi?”
She shook her head: “No. I’m not in a relationship, neither am I seeing anyone.”
“Good.” The words were out before Flynn could really think about it. The upwards tilt of her lips made him sit up straighter. “Very good.”
Quickly Fiona took her eyes off him to think for a moment. She knew she had to get back to work, but right now it seems really hard to do that. When she looked up again, she found Flynn staring at her with and intensity that made her grip the arms of the chair a little harder.
“I think we should go to the Fluffs now. So we can hopefully find something to find Starla.” She stood up slowly and straightened her red blouse over the dark jeans she was wearing.
Flynn nodded and got up himself. He knew she was right and he wanted to do his job, but staying in his office with Fiona and getting to know more about her, sounded like a much better idea.
“You’re right. Let’s take my car.”
♠ ♠ ♠
This is all I have got. I started this more than half a year ago and it will be a spin-off of one script I'm trying to finish. I just thought that I might get a little feedback from you guys to improve my writing. Thanks in advance and I hope you like it.