Sequel: Wild & Young
Status: Back from hiatus

Loverboy

12. Don’t you feel bad, feel bad for them?

The sunlight flooded through the window causing Gemma to stir. She slowly opened her eyes, but immediately shut them due to the throbbing that invaded her head.

“I’m never drinking again.” She said hoarsely to herself. There was no way she could possibly make it through the day with as hungover as she was.

Rolling onto her back, she was met with Nathan’s naked chest. Gemma jumped out of bed in shock, quickly grabbing her sheet and wrapping it around what she now realized was her naked body. Ignoring the pounding that had quickened in her head, she racked her brain trying to remember what had happened the previous night.

Flashes of Nathan’s calloused hands roaming her body; her ripping off his clothes. Furious needs to have their lips on one another, while hair was being pulled. It was all coming back to her. “You stupid slut.” She said more to herself causing Nathan to stir awake.

His eyes slowly opened and adjusted to his surroundings. Realizing it wasn’t his room, he shot up. His eyes found Gemma’s. “I—“ but he stopped himself. What could he say?

“About last night...” Gemma trailed off.

Nathan nodded, wishing he hadn’t. The motion making his stomach churn. He rubbed his eyes, getting rid of the sleep crust that had taken residence in them. His memories over last night washed over him. He couldn’t deny his wanting for Gemma anymore and could only hope it would happen again.

“It was a mistake.” Gemma’s voice interrupted his thoughts. Nathan’s eyes shot back up to Gemma’s, not realizing they had begun to trail down her body.

“Was it?” Nathan said, sitting up. “It was—“

“A mistake.” Gemma cut him off. “A drunk, stupid accident. One we clearly couldn’t think through. Both of us out of our minds...” she trailed off again. Had it been a mistake though? If she were being honest with herself, she could easily admit how Nathan’s hands caused tingles to dance through her body; how his lips set her skin on fire. But she was too busy lying to herself to even entertain the notion.

Nathan got up and began to gather his clothes. “I understand.” He said sadly.

“Nathan, it’s just that,” she was struggling to find the words. Hating that she could see the hurt she was causing on his face, she pushed through knowing it had to be said. “We work together. It would only get messy. It’s not that I don’t want to—“

“No, I get it.” Nathan cut her off, zipping up his pants. He knew this was bound to be her reaction. He was dumb to thinking he could convince her otherwise. He just knew he had to get out of there and fast. “You’re right.” Slipping on his shirt, he looked back at her. “Listen, I have to go track some vocals. Something Jayne wanted me to work on. I’ll see you later.”

Gemma nodded, looking at him sympathetically. How could she have been so stupid? And now the direct cause of actions were alienating someone who had grown to be her best friend.

Gemma sat down at her desk, placing her head in her hands. After Nathan left she swallowed nearly half a bottle of ibuprofen and sat in the burning hot shower for what felt like hours.

Jayne looked at her assistant with sympathy. She had been working her pretty hard lately. But nonetheless, she was grateful for her sacrifices as they didn’t go unnoticed.

“Nathan’s tracking some vocals today.” Jayne smiles sweetly at Gemma. Gemma looked at Jayne between her fingers. “Why don’t you take the day and listen in? I’ve noticed you guys have become rather close.” Gemma groaned. Nathan was the last person she wanted to see right now. “Plus you can be my little spy. Make sure he’s been doing his warm ups.”

Even if Gemma did have the energy to protest what excuse could she possibly use? She couldn’t just spill that she had sex with their clients. It was so beyond inappropriate. Gemma slid her out of her seat and begrudgingly made her way down the aisle to the studio where Nathan was.

Shutting the door quietly behind her so as not to disrupt the engineer, she sat on the sofa. Gemma closed her eyes and listened as Nathan’s voice lulled her into a sense of security. He really did have an incredibly talent. It was causing her to be more attracted to him than she would admit.

“Let’s give it a rest for now.” Jerry, the engineer at the soundboard said into the mic. “Good job though. Doing fantastic.” Nathan smiled and took off his headphones. Jerry turned around and looked at Gemma. “Going to get a coffee, you want anything dear?” Gemma shook her head, looking behind him to Nathan who had just noticed her.

Jerry got up and left, leaving only Gemma and Nathan. Nathan walked out of the sound booth, but stayed by the door making sure to give Gemma her space.

Gemma stood up and walked to the soundboard, looking at all the nobs and buttons. “He’s right.” Gemma said quietly. “That was good. Your voice I mean.” Why was she suddenly feeling nervous around him? It was just Nathan.

“Thanks.” He said, moving around her as he felt awkward by the door. He scratched the back of his neck, but not taking his eyes off her.

“I’m sorry about earlier.” Gemma said, feeling the red hue rise up in her cheeks. “I didn’t mean to hurt you.” Nathan nodded. Not that she could see. She had her back to him so that he couldn’t read her facial expressions.

“Really,” Nathan began. “I understand. We work together.” Gemma nodded, still with her back to him. He stepped forward cautiously. “It would be inappropriate.” Nathan sighed. He hated every second of this. Being this close to her and not being able to touch her. All for the sake of professionalism.

“Nathan, we work together.” Gemma stated, turning around to find that he was now right behind her. Leaning against the soundboard, she bit her lip and continued. “You’re my best friend.”

“You’re my best friend, too.” He said, leaning in closer to her. His actions were almost like an out of body experience. Watching himself lean in closer, but not having the power to stop himself. He just couldn’t control his urges any longer.

“Nathan, I—“ but she was cut off. His lips pressed gently against hers. It wasn’t like what she experienced last night. Compared to the drunk and sloppy, this was sweet and tender. She couldn’t fight her impulse any longer and kissed him back with eagerness.

She was going to be in so much trouble.