Prompts

Fear

Jane ducked as a chair flew over her head.

“You fowl creature, get out of my sight!”

A plate of spaghetti was thrown back to who threw the chair.

“You first sir-takes-a-two-hour-shower! How vain can you be for a man who can't see his reflection?!”

“At least I don't misplace body pieces around the house!”

Jane sighed and lifted her head from the book in her hands. The living room was now coated in another layer of food from that day's lunch. Though she didn't grow angry. Of course she was at first, but now it didn't matter. Jane ducked again as another plate of food was thrown over her head. She was just about ready to reach for a can of hairspray, which she found was the next best thing to pepper spray in this house hold, chimes sounded from the adjacent wall.

The “doorbell” that was sculpted to look more like a piece of art and sound like a xylophone rang out the normal chime of the front door. Jane's brother, somewhat famous in their area for his artwork pieces, created the doorbell, along with half of the things in the family home. That man was like the Picasso of sculpture and woodwork.

“We'll get it!” the twin girls chimed running hand in hand to the front door.

They weren't even tall enough to open the door, but they unlocked it letting in some familiar faces.

They were dressed in black suits and sunglasses.

“Sup, Mia, Miles,” Jane waved as the two arguers hissed at the guests, “something's different about you guys...those new sunglasses?

“Miss. Chancy, please no formalities,” the stern Miles frowned.

“Fine, Mr. and Miss. government dudes,” Jane rolled her eyes, “you finally here to get rid of my wonderful guests?”

Some cake fell down from the ceiling. Jane couldn't remember the last time they ate cake at the house. She couldn't tell if they spoke “sarcasm” but as they entered the room, the others ran away. Jane sat forward placing the can of hairspray back down on the dirty floor. Miles and Mia could have been clones of each other, but they made it clear the last time they were here that they were not related.

Jane pointed to some dirty chairs with some kind of food on them. Mia pulled out a disposable glove from her jacket suit pocket and pushed the junk onto the floor.

“Alright, government dudes, you better tell me that you finally fixed the mix up.”

“Miss. Chancy-”

The tone of his voice made Jane moan aloud. She kicked her legs into the air in frustration and pulled at her hair. She didn't care that she looked like a two year old having a tantrum. Age didn't matter now.

“You have to get those monsters out of my house!” Jane's voice started to waver.

“Miss.-”

“I just want to see my house clean again! I want to see my parents and older brother awake, I want to take a bath without a swamp monster hiding in it!”

“Jane will you just listen to us?” Mia leaned forward.

“I don't want to wake up seeing blonde, dead, and fangs about to attack me in the middle of the night! I don't want the twin dogs of horror running around in the yard scaring the neighbors!”

“Jane!” Miles voice seemed to echo through the dirty room.

Jane felt tears rolling down her face. She was sick of this arrangement. She wanted to feel safe in her own home. She had enough monsters in her life at school and at work. She didn't need them at home. She was scared every moment of her day. Sure that stupid vampire saved her from those annoying guys at work the other day, but he only tried to kill her after that. The only one nice monster in the entire house was that swamp monster in her bathtub. Jane couldn't get past the stench, but at least he didn't try to kill her.

Jane felt a strong grasp on her shoulder and she looked up to see the tall Miles. He was about as old as her brother, probably a little bit older, but he had that sense of power around him which made him feel older than he was. He squatted down and looked Jane in the eyes. Well, sunglasses to her mud colored eyes.

“We are sorry about this mess up, we still have no idea how this happened to you and your family. These “monsters” were supposed to be sent to a different location, but were sent here.”

“We are sorry that we had to put your parents asleep while we tried to fix this,” Mia came over and gave a sweet smile, “and remember, we did promise that we will fix your entire household to as it was before the “monsters” came.”

“We may still be trying to connect a few pieces together, but we do have some good news.”

Miles stood and lead Jane over to the covered windows. He pushed back the curtain and Jane could see some truck outside. The same truck that brought the monsters in the first place. Miles explained that the area that the monsters were to go before was compromised, but they now could hold them somewhere else. Jane's eyes seemed to glisten as the words came out of his mouth. She was going to be free of them! No longer was she bound!

“Wait... we're leaving?”

They turned to see the zombie stuck her head around the corner in the kitchen. The vampire and the twins's heads also appeared.

“Janie is coming with us right, meanies?” the twins chimed together to Miles and Mia.

“Why would you want to get rid of us?” the vampire asked realizing that the entire living room was a disaster.

“If it's the mess, we can clean it up!” the zombie ran from her spot and came back with a broom.

Jane was surprised she even knew where it was. The four of them suddenly started to clean before Jane's eyes. They were talking all at once about how they can make dinner, mow the lawn, play nice with the puppy outside. Jane scrunched her eyebrows together watching all of this in confusion. She watched them work. She watched them be nice. She watched their movements as they cleaned only to mess it up again later. They were just like all the others in her life. Monsters with their own agendas.

“Why are you doing this to me?!” she finally screamed.

They stopped as she ran out of the room. Mia looked as if she wanted to go after Jane, but Miles stopped her. Jane didn't care. She ran away from the living room upstairs to her parents room. She opened the door, not caring if she was loud. They wouldn't wake up anyway. She looked across the dark room to still see her parents sleeping in their king sized bed. They had no idea that two weeks have passed. Whatever Miles and Mia did, it was as if they were suspended in time.

“Mom, Dad,” Jane's voice wavered, “please get up!”

She hiccuped as her tears fell down her face onto their quilt.

“Make the monsters go away! Please!”

She buried her head into the covers by her dad's feet. She didn't know how long she stayed there, but soon she could smell the familiar musty smell that filled the downstairs bathroom. Jane turned to see the giant fuzzy body of the swamp monster. He stood there making a noise that was his closest thing to words. Jane then didn't care if he smelled or was soaking wet from his comfortable bathtub bed. She just wanted someone to hug. She ran to his belly and hugged the giant fuzzy monster that reminded her of a teddy bear.

She felt his dull nailed hands cup around her as she cried in his belly.

“I just don't want to be scared any more!” she mumbled in his fir, “why can't they all be like you?”

“Because we're all scared too...”

Jane looked up to the monster surprised to hear the quiet words that came from his mouth.

“I never heard you talk before...” she said with a slight laugh.

He turned slightly and Jane could see the others by her parents door.

“I don't want to go back into small rooms again,” the zombie looked away.

“We don't want to lose our own beds!” the twins chimed.

“Meh,” the vampire shrugged.

Then the demon twins growled at him, “okay, okay, fine! I sort of maybe, would miss you. You are the only human that hasn't tried to kill me.”

Jane also figured that she was the only human ever to tolerate two-hour long showers too. Jane looked up to the swamp monster who didn't say anything else. Miles and Mia were by the stairs and Mia shook her head with a slight smile.

“If you can tolerate them for another week, it could give us a little more time to find a better place to send them too.”

The four looked back at Jane with big toothy smiles on their faces begging for her to say yes. Jane really wanted to say no, but like the swamp monster said, they're all scared. Jane walked Miles and Mia back down to the door. Jane could already see a big cleaning job done in the living room. They work fast when they want their way...

“We'll stop by later this week,” Miles shifted his glasses on his nose, “have a good day Miss. Chancy.”

Jane rolled her eyes as they left out the door. They watched as the “government trucks” left Jane's driveway and drove off to where they came. The twins chanted together that they get to stay and dance around at Jane's feet.

“Alright,” Jane growled picking up another bottle of hairspray by the front door, “you all better clean this house before dinner tonight or-”

“Jane?” a sleepy voice called from up the stairs.

Everyone turned and saw a very confused older brother standing on the stairs dressed in his sweat pants and gray t-shirt.

“What's going...” he glanced around the dirty house, “who are those people?!”

“Who's that?” the zombie asked.

“My brother...”

“I wonder what kind of blood he has.”

“Wuh-”

“Grab dinner!” the twins chimed.

The four of them ran off after Jane's brother up the stairs leaving her and the swamp monster alone. Jane sighed hearing more stirring from her parents room.

“Thank you Miles and Mia... for making my life even more fun...”
♠ ♠ ♠
Personally I just wanted to write something quickly about a bunch of monsters that you keep seeing around in literature, that are thrown together.

What came was an idea that was what if something wrong happened in transit that the government sent these monsters to some random joe shmo's home and they had to tolerate them till they figured out what happened.

hope you like.

very random

enjoy!