Status: Layout Fixed.

Night Call

010

"Sometimes you wonder if this fight is worthwhile.
The precious moments are all lost in the tide (Yeah)
They're swept away and nothing is what is seems,
The feeling of belonging to, your dreams."

Roxette - Listen to Your Heart


Bella slowed the truck down, turning off the engine once it came to a complete stop in front of the large, glass house. She removed the key from the ignition and glanced at me, unsure of what to say. The entire ride back had been quiet after she had 'reassured' me that everything was going to be okay.

I quietly thanked Bella for the ride and grabbed my purse, a hand reaching out and stopping me from opening the door. My anxiety had seemed to of rubbed off on her as she stared at me with worried eyes.

"It's okay... I'll be fine."

"I know." She gave my hand a reassuring squeeze. I thanked with a kind smile and pulled my hand away from her, opening the truck door and slowly climbing out. I looked down at the floor to see tire marks that led from the dirt road, pass the front of the house and serving recklessly around the corner towards the multi-car garage.

Emmett.

I waved goodbye to Bella who restarted her truck; it groaned as she switched the gears and drove into a U-turn and down back down the dirt road. The dust itching my nose. I sniffed away the sensation, pulling the strap of the bag closer and glancing down at my cracked cast. Everyone must know by know.

I hung my head low in shame as I approached the house slowly, taking me time. The walk from where the truck was to the car didn't seem long enough. For a moment I contemplated dropping the bag and running into the woods and never returning. Part of me felt like it'd be a good idea to rid them of my bothersome presence.

Before I could change my mind the front door was opened to reveal Alice. "You're not running away." She had a vision. I had seriously considered running away. She opened the door wider, stepped aside and nodded her head. "Come on." She didn't seem as angry about the situation. Maybe she had better self-control then Emmett and was only suppressing the urge to shout at me.

I entered the house cautiously, afraid that someone was going to appear before me and start yelling. Alice closed the door and stepped ahead of me, a light hop in her step but not like it normally was. I followed her as she walked into the kitchen. There standing around the large, stainless steel counter was the whole family.

Esme wore a worried expression as Carlisle, Edward, Alice and Jasper started at me with neutral expressions, Edward seeming more upset then the others. Both Emmett and Rosalie eyed me with a look of anger, Rosalie seeming more enraged then her husband with her arms crossed.

I approached the opposite side of the counter and placed my bag onto it, sighing. She was the first to speak; her voice dripping with venom.

"You're reckless. You endangered my family and caused Emmett to nearly break the treaty. You put him in harms way. Do you thrive off of danger that much? You'd willingly sacrifice all of us so you can have a little sense adventure?" Rosalie's voice never rose, but it scared more then anything. "You've been here for two days and have already caused more damage then ever, why don't you just leave and- "

"Rosalie." Esme stepped forward, halting Rosalie's silent rant. She gave her a warning glance before focusing her attention on me. "We're not angry with you, Evelyn, just worried. You put yourself in a very dangerous situation." She spoke softly, disappointment lingering in her voice.

"I know... I'm sorry. I just got so angry I forgot he was a werewolf. I didn't realize what was happening."

"You didn't see the signs?" Jasper questioned.

"I did... but I ignored them. I kept shoving him. Even after he warned me to stop - I couldn't. Part of me wanted to see him snap." I admitted shamefully.

"YOU COULD HAVE GOTTEN YOURSELF KILLED!" Emmett bellowed harshly appearing behind me. I turned around in surprise, frightened by his outburst and stumbled back reflexively. My lower back coming in contact with the counter top.

"Emmett." Carlisle stepped up, giving him the same warning look Esme gave to Rosalie. Emmett ignored his adoptive father's tone and continued to glower at me. The tears burned my eyes at the enraged look on his face.

"Didn't you learn from the last night or do you just not give a damn anymore?!"

I shook my head, my voice breaking as the knot tightened in my throat."No... I just... I didn't think- "

"No. You didn't think!" He snapped. I flinched away as if I had been slapped. Fear coarsed through my veins as I placed a protective hand over my aching arm, pain pulsating, shocking my nerves. Carlisle suddenly appeared behind Emmett and placed a hand on his shoulder, firmly pulling him back and away from me. My heart beat wildly in my chest, aching as it throbbed.

He glared at me once more before pushing Carlisle's hand off his shoulders and disappearing. My chest heaved as I looked around for him but he was no where to be found. He had gone.

I looked up at Carlisle with wide, fearful eyes. He looked into my eyes before averting his gaze down to my cracked cast. Without speaking a word he reached into his pocket and pulled out a small prescription bottle and opened it, handing me on pill.

"For the pain." He smiled softly. I quietly thanked him and took it from his hand. He recapped the bottle and placed it back into his pocket. "You really worried us."

"... I know." I looked at the ground, refusing to look at his face. "I'm sorry."

"I realize that this is all new for you, but you need to understand that this is real. We sympathize with you, but we can't help if you keep putting yourself in danger. You need to be alive when we find a way to send you back home." He spoke soft yet firmly, like a father scolding his young child for trying to climb a dangerously high tree. "You must tread carefully in this world, Evelyn."

I nodded, understanding every word he said.

He sighed and placed a hand on my shoulder. "Why don't you go upstairs and rest. Esme will make you some dinner and after we'll repair your cast."

"...okay."

"Let me take you upstairs." Alice volunteered and appeared at my side. I meekly waved goodbye to the others with the pill in my other hand.

"Evelyn," Unlike Alice, Esme chose to walk towards me with a small glass of water. "So you can take the pills." She handed it to me. I quietly thanked her for the glass and returned her sad smile. With the glass in hand I followed Alice out of the kitchen and through the living room.

She placed a supportive hand against me back and gently ushered me up the stairs. Upon entering my room she grabbed my shoulder and turned me around, pulling me into a tight embrace.

"You're gonna have to be more careful from now on." And with the she released me and stepped away, smiling softly before leaving.

Image

I sat at the edge of my bed with tearful eyes, suppressing the sob caught in the back of my throat. I didn't want to cry, not for being yelled at, but everything hurt - my heart, soul, and body. I felt damaged beyond repair and new it was all my doing.

I wiped the tears from my face. At least Jacob wasn't the only one who felt like crap. He must've been hurting as much as me.

The sounds of floorboards groaing caught my attention and I looked to see Emmett leaning against the door frame with his arms crossed over his chest, his jaw set. He frowned at my tear stained face.

"Emmett?"

"...I'm sorry. I shouldn't have yelled at you like that."

He sighed and pushed himself off the door frame, stepping farther into the room and looking at my bare wall. He approached the dresser that was pressed up against it and slid his hand across the top, tracing the intricate designs with his large, pale fingers. The Emmett from this morning was gone, replaced by a shameful man with a heavy heart.

Gripping the glass tighter in my hand I placed it onto the night stand next to the bed; my fingers lingering over the rim of the cup.

Reaching the other side of the dresser, Emmett balled his hand into a fist and tapped his knuckles against the frame. The corners of his mouth pulled down into a frown. He stepped away from the antique dresser and slowly strode towards the bed. The end of the mattress sank as he sat down, releasing another sigh and lacing his fingers together.

He shook his head and chuckled sadly.

"You just... you remind me so much of her..."

My breaths were shallow, nearly non-existent. "Who?" He raised his head and turned it towards me, the sadness in his eyes cutting me deeply. He looked so defeated; broken and overwhelmed with heartache.

"My sister."

I was unaware of this fact. I had no idea that in his previous life, Emmett had a younger siblings. Like the other Cullens, I only knew what Stephanie Meyer wrote about them in her books. Midnight Sun not being one I read.

He looked away, a sad smile falling onto his lips. "You look just like her." His eyes casted downwards, the sadness of his heart seeping into his golden orbs that normally shined with mischief, but now were bleak and dull. "Act like her, too." He chuckled at what must have been a memory. "... always getting into trouble. Always finding a way to get herself hurt when she wasn't helping our mother." He ran a pale hand through his hair. "God, she always drove me crazy."

I stood up from the bed and walked around the end, sitting on Emmett's left side and placing a comforting hand on his shoulder; leaning my head against his arm. I could hear the smile in his voice as he continued to speak warmly of his sister.

"I was her best friend, and she was mine. She told me everything, even if I didn't want to hear it; she made sure I paid attention... she was 14 when I was changed." He bent his arm at the elbow and placed his icy hand over my own, giving it a gentle squeeze. "There's only one thing I regret the most in both my lives."

"What's that?" I stared at the wall, trying to picture what Emmett's younger sister must have looked like. She must've been beautiful if she was able to capture every part of Emmett's heart.

"Not saying goodbye." I gave his hand a reassuring squeeze. He smiled softly and returned it. "I've always wondered what happened to her... if she got married and had a family; what kind of woman she became." He shook his head with remorse. "I used to tell her that if she ever decided to date a boy then he'd have to get through me first."

I smiled. I could see Emmett as a human interrogating a young 15-year-old boy about his intentions regarding his little sister. Vampire or not, he would have still seemed terrifying and very intimidating.

"I wonder how long she lived for..."

"Emmett," I sighed. He shouldn't be torturing himself like this, not when it happened so long ago. He removed my hand from his shoulder, keeping it in his grasp as he played with my fingers, carefully rolling them between his own.

"I see her every time I look at you." He lifted his gaze from my hand and pierced my soul with his eyes. "That's why I lost control when you were nearly killed last night. I couldn't let them destroy something so precious."

A wave of emotions hit me at once.

I felt like I was floating on a cloud. Pain and compassion seeped into my soul, chilling me to the bone as the warmth from Emmett's words left a painful ache in my chest. Every nerve in my body tingled. I gave his hand another tight squeeze.

"... Margaret was like my sister." My voice was just as small and timid when I confessed mt concerns to Esme earlier in the morning. The ache in my chest grew, becoming a throbbing pain.

I smiled at the memories.

"Her family took me in after I lost mine. They welcomed me with open arms and accepted me as part of the family... I was 17 when I moved in." Stray tears I hadn't known I cried slid down my cheek, leaving a warm, wet trail as they fell. "I hurt after losing my mother, but having Margaret's mother around seemed to ease the pain."

I stared into Emmett's eyes sadly, furrowing my eyebrows at the now painful memories. "Margaret lost her family six months later. They were on a plane coming back from visiting family and Margaret decided to stay behind to keep me company."

My golden-brown locks weighed heavily down on my shoulders, even though they was as light as a feather. "... she felt so guilty." Emmett let go of my hand and wrapped his arm around me, pulling me closer to him and resting his chin on my head.

"Is that why you came to Forks?"

I nodded my head and wrapped my arms around his back, resting my head against his chest, listening to his silent heartbeat. "Yeah." I then chuckled tearfully. "Although I wasn't expecting this to happen."

I felt him smile, his shoulders gently shaking as he silently laughed; a soft whisper of a sound.

"I bet it was one hell of a shock, huh?"

I laughed. "You're telling me." I fiddled with the zipper of his jacket. "Did Carlisle tell you about the fit I had in the hospital?" I shook my head at the memory. "Man... I was crazy."

"Now that you mention it, he did talk about a psychotic midget running up and down the hall screaming." He his laughter bellowed when I smacked my hand against his chest, unable to hold back as his contagious laughter infected me. My smile broken to a wide grin and I began to laugh along with him.

Our laughter quieted and we both released a sigh of content.

"Shut up." He laughed again and lifted his chin from my head, smiling down at me with a wide grin. I pulled away from his hug and sat back, returning his large smile. With a pat on my knee he pushed himself up and stood.

"C'mon." He extended his hand for me to take.

"Where are we going?" I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion.

"To fix that cast and cover that crack with some of my more awesome writing skills." He stuck his tongue out at my playfully. I tossed my head back with a laugh and placed my hand in his.

The pain in my heart evaporated as did the worry of my relationship with Emmett. He had forgiven me; no longer harboring negative feelings towards me.

And for the moment - that's all that mattered.
♠ ♠ ♠
If you've read Midnight Sun or at least did a Google background check as I did, then you'd find that Emmett did in fact have a younger sister that was 14-years-old when he was changed. It doesn't mention her name so I decided not to add one for the story's sake; I'm trying to stick close to the original tale as possible.

I love it when things fall into place. :')

WolfGirl96: I'm sure the chapter answered your first question, but as for the second one: because Evelyn had lost her mother she became immediately attached to Esme whose vampire gift is her compassion and unconditional love. Being left without a mother and Esme childless, they form a bond. It only seemed natural that they'd be drawn towards each other because of what they lost. The same with Emmett and his sister. Evelyn is a reminder of his past life the memories he had with his family and he wants to hold onto it. Hope that helped!

Now we know why he cares so much.

WhoAreYouJudy and AllStarWeekendfanfic: Thank you guys for those comments, they warmed my heart :)

Hop you guys enjoyed the update!

Please leave love!

There will be more interaction between Evelyn and the other Cullens soon, she just needs to establish a relationship with those closest to her first.