Status: Layout Fixed.

Night Call

012

"It's a beautiful lie
It's a perfect denial
Such a beautiful lie to believe in
So beautiful, beautiful lie makes me"

Beautiful Lie - 30 Seconds to Mars


"But, why?"

"Don't you wanna know what happened to your friend?" Emmett asked with a chuckle.

"Yeah, but - "

"Well then, there you go!" He exclaimed as he gently ushered me down the stairs and towards the living room where everyone was seated. "C'mon, if you don't wanna think about it as a group meeting then think about it as group therapy."

"Group therapy?" I turned my head back and gave him a lame look. "Seriously?"

"Yes, now pay attention before you fall down the stairs, twerp." He gave me a light top on the head that felt more like a smack. I gave a defeated sigh and allowed him to push me down the stairs as he followed behind.

Carlisle had declared a 'family meeting,' that I was surprised to be a part of and was now being led there by Emmett. I wasn't in the mood to go and tried to talk myself out of it as I hid under the covers in my bed. He wasn't having any of it. Without a warning he had ripped the sheets of off me exposing my skin to the chilly morning air. I didn't mind much and simply curled into a ball to preserve body heat. I thought I won.

Boy, was I wrong.

I lay in the fetal position on my right side with my arm tucked under my head, my broken one placed on my side. Emmett, crept up behind me and blew fiercely into my ear. I shrieked when a bone chilling filled the cavity. I shot up and shook my head, digging my fingers into my ear trying to get the sensation out.

"EMMETT!"

"She's up!" He shouted out and ruffled my hair. "C'mon, shorty."

So here I am, grumbling to myself as I reached the bottom step without any kind of accident - thank God. Esme was there to greet me at the bottom with her heart-warming smile.

"Morning, Evelyn."

"Morning, Esme." I returned her smile as she place a hand on my shoulder and began to lead me towards the kitchen. I looked back at the others confused. "I thought - "

"Breakfast." Was all she said as she pointed at the counter. I smiled at her thoughtful gesture. "Hungry for anything particular?" I thought over all the things I've ever had for breakfast trying to decide which one was the best.

"Bacon, hash brown and eggs?" I asked as I sat on the stool I pulled out. She gave me a soft smile and breakfast began.

Image

There we sat in the living room: Carlisle, Esme and Rosalie on one couch. Edward, Jasper and Emmett on the other and Alice and I across from them. I sat with my elbow on my knee and my chin rested on my fist, shifting my eyes around as everyone spoke on. Conversation ranged from how things were calming since Victoria(which I'm shocked they let me hear about), the tension between them and the wolves and of course, the Volturi and Bella. Because of the books I already knew what was going to happen with the Volturi and how Bella was to change. Of course, I couldn't go on blabbing about it in my mind and re-accounting every single event. That would have definitely led to an early end to the series and Edward banning any sex at all between he and Bella.

So to avoid from giving away secrets of what was to come I decided to loose myself in my imagination - or at least a day dream. And that's exactly what I did.

All worries of Edward's and Jasper's abilities to break privacy barriers fled my mind. I thought over everything I've been through since the accident that brought me to 'Twilight Forks' as I've now began to refer to it as. Everything from waking up in the hospital, becoming a raving lunatic and threatening hospital personnel, being brought the the Cullen residence, and nearly being killed by werewolves - twice. And when I really thought about it I was worse then Bella; she only had two near-death experiences in the first book while I'm probably going to go on my fourth on my second week here.

Though most of my experiences here have been downs, there have been a few upsides. I got to meet the Cullens for one. Also, though through unfortunate events, I got to meet the wolves, although I didn't plan for out first meet to be so... exciting. I had already gotten over it though, and was ready to move onto to something else, but at the mention of Jacob, Emmett always seems to visibly tense.

I don't blame him.

But I don't blame Jacob, either. It was all entirely my fault. He warned me multiple times to stop pushing him and to back away but I refused to listen. The experience of having a 'larger then a bear' wolf collide into me full force was not a pretty one. I thought that I was going to resent Jacob and the wolves after coming back to the house and the shock subsiding, but it never happened. If anything, I'm compelled to see him again. Some part of me is constantly nagging to go back to La Push and see him. I hadn't fallen in love with him or anything, I just had an urge to befriend him, even though I wanted to kick him as hard as I could between the legs. These were conflicting emotions.

He was the reason I was here in the first place. It was because of him that I'm stuck here and Margaret is God-knows-where. As much as I wanted to get to know him I wanted to kill him.

I was, without a doubt, lost.

I wanted to get answers from him, I really did, but I didn't know how. At first I thought that screaming at him and letting him know he was the cause of my suffering and emotional distress was the way - the events from a few days ago proved that theory wrong. I needed him. I needed his help, but how would I get it? And if I did manage to gain his trust, how long would I be able to keep it for?

A major downside to it all is that it would create a major rift between the two groups, not that there wasn't already one. Jacob's deceleration of love to Bella didn't sit well with Edward or any of the Cullens. Add on a friendship between Jacob and I along with Emmett's protectiveness. A catastrophe was sure to happen.

I knew that Esme and Carlisle and maybe even Alice would understand and allow me to develop some sort of relationship with the werewolf in order to find out more about the night Margaret went missing. Although I suspected that Alice would silently protest, given that she, like the others, wasn't to fond of him.

Still... maybe a visit back to La Push was exactly what I needed.

I thought on, ignoring the world around me as dozens of scenarios on how I would break the news to everyone that I wanted to go back to the wolves for a day went through my mind.

"... I think we should focus on the issue at hand."

"Which is?"

"Evelyn."

"What?" I lifted my chin from my fist and looked around with a dumbfounded expression, lost not only in my thoughts but in the conversation as well. My wandering mind had gotten the better of me and drew me away from the surprisingly dull conversation. Not that they were boring, the topic just didn't seem to catch my interest; I was never one for group discussions. "What about me?" I continued to gaze around, unsure of what was going on and what was being said.

From his seat on the couch Emmett gave a wicked grin. "We're talking smack."

An airy laugh escaped my chapped lips. "What? Why?"

"He's kidding." Esme smiled, giving her adopted son a playful, scolding glance, a mock-frown gracing her delicate features. She then diverted her attention to me, placing a pale hand on Carlisle's back who sat with his elbows on his knees and hands clasped together. "We were just talking about how we should deal with your situation."

"Oh?"

"We're still trying to figure it out." Carlisle spoke up. "There's still a lot of pieces missing and we don't have enough information to really say anything yet."

I crossed my arms and kept my back bent, my elbows touching my thighs. "What do you think has happened?"

Carlisle sighed and shook his head, "I'm not really sure. We're just as lost as you are, but we do have some theories... some more absurd than others." Emmett grinned at his words and wiped his hand over his mouth, an amusing thought had obviously crossed his mind.

"What theories?"

Emmett was the first to speak. "Aliens," he said with a broad grin. The others, even Rosalie, quirked a smile at his words.

I laughed. "What? Aliens?"

Carlisle shook his head, a devilishly charming smile gracing his lips. "Like I said, some are more absurd than others."

I smiled and wondered what other suggestions Emmett had.

"Well, hey, maybe you are from a alternate universe." Alice suggested. "I mean, like us, many consider it an impossibility. Even here no one would believe you if you said you knew real life vampires."

"That's an idiotic thing to say." Rosalie was quick to shoot it down. "I'd believe in anything else before alternate universe. Only a bafoon would believe something like that."

Tensions were thick.

Alice gave her sister a pointed glance, a defiant glint in her eyes. "Like we said - theories."

"And," Esme spoke up, effectively stopping whatever argument was about to happen, "we'll have many more of them. But for now we should focus on more important things."

What was more important than finding Margaret and where I came from?

"Like what?"

She smiled at me. "You." Me? "We need to focus on the present and what we're going to do with you. More specifically, how we're going to introduce you to others."

"Introduce me? For what? And where?"

Carlisle was next to speak. "As much as we want to keep you a secret, Forks is small, unlike your accident which caught a lot of attention. The whole town already knows that you were the one in the accident and that you're a new Forks resident. Because of my work at the hospital and offering you a ride home there's already some speculation about your whereabouts and who you are."

I had nearly forgotten. I had no identity in this world. There were absolutely no records of me or proof of my existence.

"Plus, you're gonna wanna end up going into town and doing other sorts of things. It'd be best if we at least had a story for you to give if you're ever approached outside of the house."

I never thought of that.

One of the others finally decided to join in on the conversation. "What would seem most believable?" Edward asked from his seat next to Jasper, who chose to listen to the conversation rather then join in.

"Nothing too outrageous, it'd only spark their curiosity even more, but it shouldn't be too bland either, then they'd just become suspicious. And there's no other kind of gossip like small town gossip."

Everyone remained quite as we all thought over ideas. I looked from one Cullen to the other and watched as their expressions changed from thoughtful to dismissive to defeated to thoughtful once again.

Maybe we could say I didn't remember much. That I had received minor brain damage and developed some short-term memory loss.

"Amnesia?"

"Amnesia?"

"Yeah. Maybe because of my head injury I don't really remember much and am staying with you until I can."

They all glanced at each other before asking for further explanation.

I shrugged. "Maybe we could say it started when you went to drop me off. Because I just moved I wasn't registered in the city of Forks yet and couldn't remember where I lived... so you offered to let me stay in your home. Or Esme did, so they don't think anything else."

Rosalie looked unimpressed with my suggestion, as did Edward, though he was kinder expressing it. Instead of looking disgusted by my words, he seemed unconvinced.

Emmett nodded his head thoughtfully but it was Carlisle who spoke up. He spoke with a defeated sigh. "We may have to add more to fill the gaps and provide answers for any questions they may have... but, it sounds believable."

"Then that settles it?" Surprisingly enough, it was Jasper who asked.

"For now." Esme smiled.

From the corner of my eye I could see that Edward still had that troubled look on his face.

Image

For the remainder of the day I stayed in my room thinking to myself. Hours had passed since the 'group meeting' and I had bolted up the stairs once it had ended; I needed time to think over everything.

So much had been discussed during the meeting I needed time to digest what was said. There was one thing that I had refused to mention but thought over in my mind again and again was Jacob and how I was going to approach him. What seemed to put a damper over the whole situation was the reaction of the others.

I needed to find a way to bring it up in a conversation.

I sat on my bed cross-legged, blank pieces of white paper attached to a clipboard and a pencil in my hand. I had asked Carlisle for these when he had come by my room to see how he was, which was hours ago, and the pages remained blank. I couldn't focus on anything.

I was so absorbed in my thoughts I hadn't heard the door being quietly opened. The figure of a person standing in my doorway seemed to escape my peripheral vision and I continued to glare at the white paper that mocked me.

"Having trouble?" I yelped with a start and dropped my pencil, placing my right hand over my heart and pulled my broken one closer to me. I looked towards the door to see Edward standing in the from with a crooked smile on his face. "Sorry."

I gave a frustrated and tilted my head back, biting on the inside of my lip to refrain from screaming at him. Oh, the things I would say. "You shouldn't creep up on people like that." I glared as he stepped into the room. "You could give someone a heart-attack."

"I keep that in mind." He replied smartly.

I eyed him suspiciously as he slowly paced around my room. Pushing my suspicious thoughts aside I looked away from him and down at my papers, picking up the pencil and again trying to concentrate. "Was there something you needed?"

"Yes, actually." I looked up from the clipboard and into his topaz eyes and raised an eyebrow. "I wanted to talk to you."

"About what?"

He approached my bed and stood at the foot of it directly in front of me a surprisingly hard look in his golden eyes. "I don't think you should go." Go? I sat up straight and put the pencil back down.

"Go where?"

"I don't think you should go back to La Push."

"You listened in on my thoughts?!" I couldn't believe it. There was absolutely no privacy in this house. "I can't believe you! Why would you do that? Those were personal!"

"I know, and I'm sorry. But I felt it necessary since since they involve you re-visiting someone who nearly killed you three times." His jaw set. He was ready for an argument. I shook my head with a scoff, rolling off the left side of the bed so I further away from him.

"That doesn't make it okay! My thoughts had nothing to do with you!" I began to shout now, forgetting that I was in a house with vampires who all could hear what I was saying. I ran my right arm through my hair, frustrated with Edward and his ability that seemed to irritate me to no end. "Jeez, don't you know how to back off?!"

"Back off?"

"Yes, back off. As in mind your own goddamn business!"

His already intense glare intensified ten fold. From where I stood I could see his golden orbs darken at my words. Even though I knew he had complete control over himself part of me was still frightened to see him looking at me like that. I don't know if it was because I was human and my instincts were telling my that something unnatural was near, like a primal fear, or if I had watched too many movies, but the darkening of his eyes didn't sit well with me.

But I couldn't let him know.

"I'm trying to help." He spoke with the same even tome he always did. I refused to let my fear take control and stood my ground. I wasn't going to back down from the argument, not now.

"I don't need it, I'm perfectly fine - " He cut me off with a humorless laugh that was laced with bitter.

"Yeah, because you've done so well on your own. Look at your arm! Look at what has happened! You may think that just because you're in a 'fictional' world that you know everything, but let me tell you something." Like lightening he was in front of me and in my face, glaring down with his less then vibrant eyes, his nostrils flaring. I stumbled back in surprise. "You haven't seen anything - not yet."

My breathed deeply through my nose, my chest rising and falling as I stared at him with startled eyes.

"You're not going." He voice, like his expression, was hard and emotionless. It was was so low I was barely able to catch onto to it. Most likely so the others don't hear his final words to me.

"But I - "

"You're not. Going." He gave me one last glare before turning away and walking back out of my room. I stared at the place he stood unsure of what to do. Never have I ever thought since being here that Edward would ever act that way towards me. I've read and seen him react that way towards Jacob, but only because of Bella.

I stood in place for a few minutes feeling as if I had been slapped.

In a daze I climbed into the bed, pushing everything aside and laying on my back. The softness of the bed and comfort of the pillows put my mind slightly at ease. Thankfully. I needed to figure out what the hell just happened. Something was amiss and I needed to find out what.

Most importantly, I needed to meet with a certain Jacob Black.

I can already see, from here on out things are just going to get harder.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's the next update, hopefully a lot better then the last one. I know you guys are dying to know what happened with Margaret and what's going on, but you're going to have to be patient. Edward's out-burst was strange for him and out of character, but you'll see why he acted that way.

Like I said before, soon everything will make sense. :) it's just gonna take some time.

This is completely off topic but I forgot to write it in the previous Author's note, but I love it when Carlisle told Evelyn she must tread carefully. For some reason I felt like for a split second I wrote the character perfectly. That will forever be my favorite line from this story, haha!

Anyways.

WolfGirl96: For the answers to those questions you're just going to have to read to find out. Can't give away everything now. (:

Please let me know what you think of this update.
Comment, sub, rec, question - I love it.

[EXTRA]

Inspire the story!

Q: What do you think should be Evelyn's next moves?