Status: Layout Fixed.

Night Call

003

"I'm not insane, I'm not insane.
I'm not insane, I'm not - not insane."

Avenged Sevenfold - Almost Easy


Ever woke up from a bad dream to find that reality felt just as worse? That's how I felt when I woke up, blurry eyed and confused. Once I realized I was still in the hospital and hadn't woken up in my bed I began to panic again; I wasn't dreaming.

With the cast still on my left arm I flipped a tray and stand, demanding to see Margaret, but they acted like they didn't know who I was talking about. This enraged me. How could they not know about the second girl that was brought in from the accident, surely they must've at least known there were two of us. But they didn't, they just kept saying: "There is no Margaret." I knew they were lying.

I thrashed around the room, screaming at the nurses and doctors like a cornered animal, daring them to try to come near me. My fit had become so violent I had to be isolated in a room separated from the other patients on the other side of the hospital. And even then I refused to quite down. I continued my rant, banging on the door with my right fist demanding to see the doctor running the facility. They never brought him though, they left me there to calm down.

So here I sat in a corner of the room, glaring up at the clock the made those obnoxious ticking noises. If I could I would have taken it down and thrown it at the door. I decided against that since I couldn't reach and didn't want to hurt my arm anymore.

'I need to get out of here.' I looked around the room trying to find a window to climb out of, but there was only one and it was up near the ceiling, unreachable to patients. I suspected the room they put me in was for belligerent patients, the ones who came hallucinating on LSD and having a bad trip. It was simple, white room with a white bed in the corner that had a white blanket and pillow. The walls weren't padded, so when I punched the door I split the skin on my knuckles. I didn't care. Nothing mattered if Margaret was hurt.

Nearly four hours had passed before I heard the sounds of keys jingling and voices on the other side of the door. Slowly it was pushed open and in stepped the doctor and the two nurses from earlier along with another man. He must be the extra support just in case I had another fit. They thought I was crazy.

I stood up slowly, watching them as they watched me. The nurses seemed wary of me, but the doctor, Dr. Cullen, seemed perfectly comfortable with being in the room with me. He wore a kind smile, his hands clasped in front of himself. He was the first to speak.

"I'm glad to see you're calm." A tense silence filled the room, yet he casually stepped closer to me as if I wasn't glaring at him with deadly eyes. "I'm Dr. Cullen, I was there when you first woke up. Do you remember that?"

I nodded once.

"Good, good. You're memory wasn't affected." He gestured towards the bed, "Would you like to sit?" Did he think I was stupid? No, I didn't wanna sit down. Not when I knew one of the nurses had a sedative in her pocket. "No? Okay," he smiled, but then his expression turned grave. "You were in a accident, a pretty big one. You broke your arm in four places and split your head, concussing yourself in the process."

I hadn't noticed.

"We couldn't find any form of identification on you. Would you mind telling us your name?"

I looked at every person in the room. I was in a hospital, right? They weren't here to hurt me, they sure as hell weren't helping me but they weren't going to hurt me. I guess there was no harm in at least properly informing them.

"Evelyn."

He smile grew. "Evelyn. That's a pretty name." He was treading carefully. I could tell by the way he was standing and the way he spoke to me, like I was a child going to the hospital for the first time. He thought I was afraid of them. But I wasn't.

"...thanks."

"Do you know where you are, Evelyn?"

I looked around for a moment and thought over everything, remembering the accident and the diner. "Forks."

"Good." He took another step closer, "Do you know what happened?"

"I got into an accident." Something out there made me crash. All I saw were glimpses of the crash; the road, the ice, the car - that beast. A faded echo of Margaret's screaming stunned my nerves. "Where's Margaret?"

Dr. Cullen sighed, dropping his head and shaking it. "Evelyn," he looked up at me with sad eyes. No - she wasn't dead, she's a live! He just needed to look for her.

"No."

"Evelyn, listen to me- "

"NO!" I screamed at him. He didn't know what he was talking about. "Find her!"

"Evelyn, please, you- "

"No, take me to Margaret!" I stepped closer too him, the man standing behind the doctor tensing at my movement. "Take me to see her now!" I demanded. He tried to speak again, "NOW!"

He held up his hands and spoke cautiously. "Evelyn... there is no Margaret. You came in by yourself." My chest heaved and suddenly I felt constricted, the air seemed to stop flowing into my lungs. "Evelyn, please just sit down and we'll explain everything." I began to shake my head, breathing harder and harder as my throat tightened to a close.

"What... no. No, s-she was with me!"

"...no, she wasn't."

"Stop lying to me!" I fell into hysterics, doubling over and sobbing uncontrollably. What happened to Margaret? Was she still in the woods? Had she fallen out of the car and was still laying on the floor, barely alive and wishing someone would save her.

"When the EMT's got to a accident they just found you in the car unconscious, there was no one there with you." I felt his cold hand on my back, rubbing gently. "There was no sign that anyone one else had been injured. They checked the surrounding area and the car, no one was thrown out of it. You were the only one hurt."

Margaret was gone? But it didn't make any sense. She moved to Forks with me, we both ate at the diner and talked on the way home. She went to school with me. How could she have not been there? She wasn't gone - something took her. And just like a light being switched on everything about the accident came rushing back, the spinning car and the large animal in the road.

"The beast!" I shot up and cried, startling the nurses and the man behind them. I looked into the doctor's eyes desperately. "There-There was a beast! This huge dog-thing that jumped into the road! I saw it... I saw it and I turned the wheel and I lost control of the car." I looked at the nurses who gave me strange looks then back at Dr. Cullen. If he was who he said he was then chances were, he knew exactly who I was talking about.

"It was a large, red-brown thing, like a bear but only bigger and it leaped into the road..." I stared into his eyes intently, trying to give him some sort of hint about my knowledge without giving it completely away. "...I saw one of them."

I could see it in his eyes, the realization that I must've known something. He turned back to the other three and excused them, saying he needed to speak with my privately. I guess that was doctor talk for 'She's crazy, let me handle this.' They happily obliged and left.

Slowly he turned to face me, a gleam of curiosity in his eyes. "What do you mean by you saw one of them?"

This was it. This was the moment that would either brake me or make me. He was either the real Dr. Carlisle Cullen or a doctor that had an uncanny resemblance to him and the name. I swallowed my fear and stared him in the eyes, carefully phrasing my next words.

"You know what I saw. You know who I'm talking about."

He rubbed his chin with his hand, seeming confused. "What do I know?" He was playing dumb, in case I really was a crazy person who had simply seen a bear run across the road. It was understandable, he couldn't risk giving secrets away, but that fact that he was treating me like every word I spoke was insane made my blood boil.

"You. Know." I seethed. Why was he making this so difficult?

He stared at me, looking deeply into my eyes . "How do you know?"

I dreaded the question. How in the world do I explain myself without seeming like a complete idiot? Telling him that this wasn't real and part of a fictional world would drive him away. He'd convince himself that I was crazy and everything I said was the raving of a lunatic. I'd be hospitalized again for sure.

So I did the only thing I could. I lied.

"I figured it out." It wasn't entirely a lie. Okay, maybe it was, but he sure as hell didn't need to know that.

"How?"

"I..." I didn't know how to answer him. I didn't have anything to say to him. How was I going to do this? "I just do."

He sighed and nodded his head. "Okay." Okay? He smiled at me once more before turning away. "I'll send a nurse to bring you some lunch, you must be starving." He didn't believe me. He thought I was crazy.

"No." This couldn't be happening. "Listen to me!" I refused to be condemned to this place. "Please!" He stopped at the door and looked back at me.

"Rest." And with that he turned away and left, locking the door behind him. The sounds of the keys chiming shattered my heart. I was alone. Margaret was gone and no one knew why. I was in a place so strange yet familiar to me; so unwelcoming. If I couldn't convince him how was I going to get home?

In the far back of my mind I wished and prayed that if I laid down and went to bed, maybe, just maybe I'd wake up in my bed and this would all be just a bad dream.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for the comments they were much appreciated :D Here's the next update I hope you guys enjoy it. Please comment, it'd motivate me to write another update. The chapters are small but I like them like that, makes it so much easier to update.

He doesn't believe her, or does he? Anyone know what he's going to do next?

Please leave love!